[Archive] Most replayable games

MLP:

I’ve recently been replaying Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (lost count how many times now) and it made me think about how many modern computer games just get forgotton never to be played again.

I have a DVD wallet of about 40+ decent xbox games which I will be unlikely to ever play again. However I have my Gamecube with all the Zeldas which I tend to play through once every year or so! A few other games I like to go back and replay are:

Morrowind

Netherwinter Nights

Baldur’s Gate II

Master of Orion II

Now I know there’s other old classics I like to replay but I cannot really think of any modern game (say within the last 5 years) that I will be likely to ever play again, this makes me sad.

So I was wondering, what older games do you like to play if any. And can you think of any modern game which you think you will keep going back to replay over the coming years?

CopperPot:

X-Com and Sacrifice on PC great games I like replay.

bas_2312:

Grim Fandango is an adventure game I like to play from time to time. I love the look and feel of the game and the story of course.

Another game I really like is Timesplitters: Future Perfect. The storymode is really fun, although I hate the haunted mansion level…

Samanos:

Neverwinter nights 2 with the 2 first expansions.

It is my favourite game really, cant get enough f it and never get bored.

rpitts2004:

I can’t wait till Baldurs Gate comes out for the Ipad

snowblizz:

The Total War series…

Although I must admit since they tend to revisit “periods” with better graphics and gameplay I don’t see myself going back to the oldest ones. Admittedly I haven’t hit a place where a “new” version of the old ones are available. Rome 2 TW will be the first one for me.

SimCity.

Civilization.

These are games where I’ll go back and play. As years go by I progress yes ie the game I go back to changes, but I tend to go back and play it again. Then again maybe they can’t class as “new” games.

I play a lot of these simulation type games though and they have decent replay value. I don’t know what will happen eg with a game like Anno 1404 that I spent like a 1000hrs playing (got the gold medal for 500hrs a year or so ago) so far since I got it in -09 or -10. When I finally manage to unlock all achievements I’m not sure I’ll “go back” but then again, I’d say I got my money’s worth out of it.

I’m also thinking that the Fallout 3 and NV games are something I can go back to again. I’m just trying to forget all the Fallout 3 content because I was REALLY thorough in my first go. In part that’s my problem, when I play through a game I really play THROUGH it, so there’s little going back to. And sometimes you just can’t get back that initial kick like the first time in Oblivion or Fallout 3 when “coming out” for the first time. So impressive.

zobo1942:

There are a few older games I like to replay: The first ‘Halo’ game, Diablo2, and Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2.

warh:

Modern games with replayability. Skyrim, Fallout 3 and NV, the latest Zelda game was great but I have not replayed it yet.

Nowdays I think the most replayable games are multiplayer games like League of legends, Tribes ascend and Planetside 2.

Blackspine:

Call me a stick in the mud.

But re-playable to me are

Master of Orion 2

Master of Magic

Heroes of Might and Magic (current)

wrath of heroes; online

MLP:

Some great classics coming out here!

Copperpot, I do like the XCOM lot, I’m really looking forward to the new one. I think it could be the one modern game I end up replaying!

Samanos, you found NWN 2 that good? I just could never get in to it as much as the original, I have both and I never play NWN 2

Warh I do love Skyrim, I’ve played it on and off since release. However I really don’t find it as replayable and Oblivion or Morrowind and I don’t know why!

Fallout 3 and New Begas mentioned a few times! I didn’t get on with them, played them for a few months, went back a few months later for a bit never touched them again. I found it quite souless if you know what I mean?

Deadspace is one I’ve gone back to a few times, I do like playing it late at night with all the lights off for extra jump factor!

French_noodle:

Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Just invincible. Keeps coming back again and again on my computer. It probably has some evil spirit inside ^^

Bolg:

I dont know from the last 5 years exactly, but I do replay current games, not all, some you play once or twice and some times that takes for ever.

I played Prototype1 only 1.2 times but in game I spend more hours than in a weekend and I can remember my save game of GTA vice city going over 30+ hours, but i only “finished” the game twice.

And I’ve re-played all Halo’s many times.

If friend are over and there is beer, we end up playing Burnout 3/4 or Crash Nitro Crat/Crash Team Racing.

I love and replay all Ratchet and Clank games and they have a great replay value (I only have PS1 and 2 though so I cant speak for the last few titels.

But from the more classic stuff I kept replaying

Ecco The Dolphin (I actually finished it)

Micromachines ( 1 is better than ant sequel)

Streets of Rage (the only reason why I stopped playing this game is cos my Sega died)

And while I was in Sidney in 1998 I played G.Darius so may times that I actually finished in the store (I now have it for the PS1 and still play it quite often).

Oh and then there is Plant VS Zombies, very replayable, and a few years back I got hooked on the online game Desktop Tower Defense, I spend days playing that.

Hmmm, talking about all these games makes me itching to pick up my controller (:

Marduk:

I haven’t played either video games or PC games in almost a decade, but the two games that I played a lot and I would happily play again and again are Total War and Civilization. I can’t remember how many times I launched that spaceship to Alpha Centaurii.

Every now and then, when I think of replacing my computer for a newer one, I consider getting a really potent one with graphics accelerator. However, I don’t know if I would be able to run my old games in the new Windows versions.

Grimstonefire:

Age of Empires 2 (conquerers expansion). I have spent a lot more time on that game over the years than is anywhere near healthy, and hopefully if my new laptop allows it I’ll continue to play it.

MLP:

I haven't played either video games or PC games in almost a decade, but the two games that I played a lot and I would happily play again and again are Total War and Civilization. I can't remember how many times I launched that spaceship to Alpha Centaurii.

Every now and then, when I think of replacing my computer for a newer one, I consider getting a really potent one with graphics accelerator. However, I don't know if I would be able to run my old games in the new Windows versions.

Marduk
Almost any old game will work on new operating systems. There's ways you can patch yourself but an easier way is to just download it off gog.com already patched for a few quid.

GOG is probably my favorie website right now. Apart from this one of course :hat

GRNDL:

Dwarf Fortress!!!

And its free!!

MLP:

Dwarf Fortress!!!

And its free!!

GRNDL
Totally agree with this! Every time there's an update or new mod I go back and play it. Many hours spent on this game.

I'm currently enthralled with a Space-Roguelike called Faster than Light which I reckon could be a winner similar to Dwarf Fortress.

GRNDL:

I'm currently enthralled with a Space-Roguelike called Faster than Light which I reckon could be a winner similar to Dwarf Fortress.

MLP
Yeah, I've been doing time with FTL too. Great little game and close to something I wanted to create for myself a few years back. Their version is much better though. Still haven't completed it though. I find it rather difficult.

Zuh-Khinie:

Depends… the game I play the most is Mariokart when I have friends over (yes, I’m 28 and a Wii-players… so sue me :)).

Almost any Zelda (though I think I’ve played Twiglight princess or Links Awakening the most), Resident Evil 4, Heroes of Might and Magic 5 (because you can hotseat and play it like a boardgame). Last but not least, Wii Golf on Sports Resort…

On the other hand, I think I spend the full two or three hours per month behind a console/computer…

When thinking back throught he years, I also have to give honourable mention to: Duke Nukem 3D, Escape from castle Wolfenstein, Quake 2, Commandos (behind enemy lines), GTA 1 & 2 and Collin MacRae… oh yeah, almost forgot Zombies (from the SNES), and Mario Bros (the third one if I’m not mistaken)

snowblizz:

Fallout 3 and New Begas mentioned a few times! I didn't get on with them, played them for a few months, went back a few months later for a bit never touched them again. I found it quite souless if you know what I mean?

MLP
No, I really do not.

XCOM is a great example, that one I do play from time to time. TFTD more specifically, that was the first one of the series I saw and played so it's special, it also has a few improvements over the original I prefer. My buddy and I would hotseat the game, we each had a character we'd control. Which totally sucked by the time Psychics popped up and we realised one or both characters had the mental fortitude of a vegetable.

Still remember when fist installing it with a friend. It had over a 1000 files! OMG!111!one we had never seen so many files ever. Don't think either of us had that many in total on our computers back then!

Edit: and I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the basic Windows games. Been playing Solitaire, Minesweeper, Freecell and now Spider Solitaire for as long as there's been Windows and they've been present.