[Archive] Multiple units hit with Blunderbuss

Mosk:

Ok gotta question concerning blunderbuss.

I just finished a game and I found my self many times facing the following situation.

my blunderbuss would project their 12 inch fire zone and hit several units, not just one.
               M
                 M

MMMMM   M
         ^^^^^
          CCCCC^
          ^^^^^
          ^^^^^
          ^^^^^ This is the 12 inch fire zone
          ^^^^^
           ^^^^^
           BBBBB
           BBBBB    B=Blundebuss            C= Chaos Chose   M=Maurders
           BBBBB
           BBBBB
           BBBBB

Ok so all of the guys in red were hit, and this was hitting 5 Chaos Chosen on foot, and 2 mauraders from one unit and 3 from another unit. So how would i divide up the hits and wounds?

Oh if anyone is wondering, the game was a draw.

Thommy H:

You don’t divide them up. All the models in the zone are hit on a 4+. It doesn’t matter what units they’re in.

Mosk:

You don't divide them up. All the models in the zone are hit on a 4+. It doesn't matter what units they're in.

Thommy H
What about for wounds, going of this picture I hit a total of 5 Chosen, 2 Maurders, and 3 maruaders. So i roll a total of 10 dice. Say that 7 (very lucky dice) hit, how do I divide up who gets wounded?

Like would a certain number of the dice go to just the chosen, or would some go to the Marauders?

Thommy H:

Uh. You just roll for each model. So, for the five Chosen, you roll five dice to see if they hit. Then you pick up the ones that hit and roll to wound, like normal. Just do each unit separately.

Mosk:

Ok that is what I was wondering, Thanks

Bassman:

Uh. You just roll for each model. So, for the five Chosen, you roll five dice to see if they hit. Then you pick up the ones that hit and roll to wound, like normal. Just do each unit separately.

Thommy H
Correct. You have to roll individually. Remember to roll for champios and charaters as well. I use different dices for different people :)
Bbs rock! Against low T ans low armor saves try to line ten blunderbusses with a rear rank of 4 blunders, you'll feel the joy to hit 40-50 models at once :hashut

Taedae:

ok, i am glad i read this before i started to make a new thread. i dont roll for each dwarf firing, i roll for each model in the blast zone.

does the blast radius go straight out from the unit or does it use an arc?

Thommy H:

Straight out. It’s rectangular.

Taedae:

thats what i thought. it would be a little broken if it was in LoS.

KramDratta:

What happens when a multi wound model, ex character or chariot get hit by a template? It is hit on a 4+ and wounded as per S/T value. But does it suffer only one wound or am I missing something?

Tnx

Hashut’s Blessing:

Each model is hit ONCE on the roll of a 4+. Blunderbusses aren’t great against multiwound models in their current ruleset, but that’s how it is.

As has been stated, a fire zone the width of the unit (acting like a emplate) and it always hits on a 4+ (unless they are behind “substantial cover”, like a hill, then they can’t be hit at all) and you roll for each model (including characters, unit champions etc. If a character is mounted, randomise the hit between the mount and rider). If multiple units are hit, do the rank and file of one unit, then any characters/champions, then do the same with the next unit and so on.

SteveM:

Each model is hit ONCE on the roll of a 4+.[...]
In "White Dwarf Presents CD" on page 10 is discusses multiple would models exactly as you have described, but for characters and monsters it says both a monster and the hero riding it are hit if inside the 12" zone.  It goes on to say that a chariot, all its riders, and animals pulling the chariot all suffer one hit each.  Based on the RH definition of "any model within this

Thommy H:

The rules in White Dwarf presents: Chaos Dwarfs aren’t current, so it doesn’t matter.

SteveM:

The rules in White Dwarf presents: Chaos Dwarfs aren't current, so it doesn't matter.

Thommy H
I am aware of that, but I thought it might help clarify the verbiage of RH which can be very terse and short on examples of complex situations.  In hindsight, my confusion revolved around what a "model" is considered to be.

I just found in the 7th edition rules where it says that a monster and its rider(s) are to be counted as a single model, same as cavalry (p. 59).  Likewise, a chariot is considered a single model (p. 62).  War Machines (p. 84) are not as clear on what constitutes a model, seems to me that 3 fleeing crewmen count as 3 models, but before they flee they are likely a single model.

Thommy H:

I believe templates resolve hits against both rider and mounts, don’t they? If so, blunderbusses would follow the same precedent.

SteveM:

I believe templates resolve hits against both rider and mounts, don't they? If so, blunderbusses would follow the same precedent.

Thommy H
If the blunderbuss is considered to be a template weapon then yes, both monster and rider suffer a hit.

Hashut's Blessing said to randomize the hit between characters and their mounts, but I don't see why you would do that if you treat the blunderbuss as a template weapon.  If the mount has 1 wound then treat is as cavalry, if it has 2 or more wounds it is a monstrous mount and both are hit.  Does that sound right or am I missing something?

Thommy H:

I’d probably play it that both are hit, yeah.