[Archive] My chaos dwarf army project

Dorktaku:

Rather than creating multiple threads in the showcase section, i thought it was a better idea to post in a single thread here how my project is going…

So I decided, a couple weeks ago, to start a CD army. Thanks to a friend of mine, I found a good deal and got myself a decent army… at least 3000pts of evil stunties… but no hobgoblins, unfortunately :frowning:

Well, the next step was obviously to paint them, so here I am, struggling with my freshly primed blunderbusses.

Leading this project, I will have to bear in mind two elements :

-The final goal is to setup a tournament army, and a nice one if possible. CD minis are awesome, I don’t want to mess with their painting.

-The painting style I want to use on this army is an homage to the “old school” 'eavy metal style, from when i started to play : bright coulours, red armours… No problem with all that, I loved it back then, and I still do :smiley:

So, with this in mind, I started to paint… Here are the first minis. I will try to keep this post updated, but for more pics you can check my blog (well at least the pictures since it’s written in French, sorry :-s)

n.b: the pics here are WIP… The bases are still not done; neither are the top of the blunderbusses.death rocket crew

bluderbuss

another blunderbuss

(more pics here)

a group photo

Any comment here or on the blog are, of course, welcome :smiley:

Willmark:

Awesome start! Be sure to give them great bases. Bases that are well done are a must for tournament armies.

Ghrask Dragh:

:o your painting is of a very high standard! I like your choice of colours, you don’t see bright colours much on Chaos Dwarfs now days, I like it!!

:hat off should be a very interesting blog, looking forward to it.

Willmark:

Also add dates with brackets to the title and note the last update. Its helpful for at a glance to see when the last update to the thread was made.

Canix:

WOW ,french typical brilliant painting they are great ,will be watching your thread with interest.The project sounds llike a winner:hat off

By the way your painting isnt typical its amazingly good ,how are you going to base that look by the way:hat

clam:

OMG! - they are magnificent. So nice to see the bright colours back - and then - still very unique!

Would love to see more from you hand - so please keep us posted!

zagor66:

Some really great models here , good work!

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Those are really sweet models, and the painting is top-notch. Give them good bases! A model without a base isn’t finished so these can get even better when fully completed. :slight_smile:

zagor66:

Id use cork lava bases.

Pyro Stick:

Those paint jobs are awesome. I wouldnt of used so many different colours though

zagor66:

Like purple and red.

Pyro Stick:

Reds a must on every chaos dwarf model. I would of left out the Blue or made it darker.

zagor66:

I meant the combination of the two.

Dorktaku:

wow, thanks for all the kind comments guys, that really motivates me to keep painting! I’ll try to post updates as regularly as possible…

Those paint jobs are awesome. I wouldnt of used so many different colours though
Yup, this has been one of my subjects of reflexion over the past weeks actually… Should I use a restricted or a broad palette? I was thinking that on a large army, having several bright colours could really make the units stand out ; I try to keep some sort of uniformity throughout the miniatures though, by keeping two main colours : red armours, blue clothes… and purple “details”. It could be a problem though, I will judge when I have a larger sample of painted miniatures.

Willmark:

Just be careful or you will end with an army suffering from the dreaded “explosion in a paint factory” syndrome.

wallacer:

Should I use a restricted or a broad palette?

Dorktaku
I think it'll turn out fine so long as there is uniformity of theme across the whole army.

AGPO:

Wow, really nice nmodels, and a great find, almost makes me sad that we’ll have to beat you in the rugby…

Khan!:

I vote to keep the palette as is for now. The combination of bright colours against the flat black looks really good in my opinion. Particularly the torqoise/electric blue! Also, there aren’t going to be a whole lot of armies with this kind of colour scheme, painted to such an excellent standard. Uniqueness + excellence = good.

Tallhat:

Love the paint job. Keep it up :slight_smile:

- Tallhat

Hammerhand:

Really nice paint job, These guys are going to look really striking on the battlefield.