[Archive] My Other Distractions

Abecedar:

HaHa … roots.  Took me a few days but I get it now.
Definitely Modular, Pictures of the olde Mighty Empire Tiles in ancient White Dwarfs, was my inspiration.
Plans are to make more but with burnt trees etc, so that when the Martians Heat ray hits the trees they can be replaced with burnt out sections.
I do “want” to do to do the same for everything else I make for this game.

The forest as a whole, so far, measures 11"/280mm x 16"/410mm. Sorry but this one is blurry.

The trees are at their highest are 3.5"/90mm

Abecedar:

Here is an some updated pics on my first piece of swamp.

The pier is more green and black than I can get the photos to show

Admiral:

Good progress!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Nicodemus:

My fat fingers… I’d lose my mind within the first 30 seconds trying to maneuver these :wink:

tjub:

Looking good! How is All Quiet on the Martian Front, I thought that game kinda “broke down”?

Abecedar:

Looking good! How is All Quiet on the Martian Front, I thought that game kinda "broke down"?

tjub
Thanks, Yes i think it has broken down. It died very early on and then Ironclad Games took it on.
But now the site hasn't had any "Stock" since before xmas, and nothing else happening at all.

But I love it and will persevere.

Jasko:

HaHa ... roots.  Took me a few days but I get it now.
Definitely Modular, Pictures of the olde Mighty Empire Tiles in ancient White Dwarfs, was my inspiration.
Plans are to make more but with burnt trees etc, so that when the Martians Heat ray hits the trees they can be replaced with burnt out sections.
I do "want" to do to do the same for everything else I make for this game.

Abecedar
Very nice! Those hexagonal bases seem to make for good variation. I�?Tm a sucker for any kind of modular terrain anyway, really well done.

Abecedar:

Thanks Jasko.

I just noticed that I haven’t put the AQMF Fortress (Humans) Wall WiP in. Purely for 1 scenario only I think.

It is to be made in sections so that if one is destroyed it can be replaced by rubble.

This is the rear of the front panel of the Command tower Section.

You can see how I’ve been distressing the foam after cutting in the joins

And this is the front panel of the Command Tower, I have envisaged it to be taller than a normal section.

And this is the Command tower’s building structure?

This is the wall sections all stretched out but it is only a 5’ Table.

Most of the normal sections are not distressed yet and all the building bits are only structural so far

A bit closer shot of the Command and base section. I’ve made a few wedges in differing widths to join the base sections

so I can bend the wall to simulate it following a river bank as per the fluff.

Jasko:

Stellar work! I particularly like those wedges.

Having destroyed sections will be great for scenarios. Do you also have those built already? And I would say a section with a gate would be fantastic :hat

Jackswift:

Really cool stuff you are doing with this. Your swamp has come no out beautifully and the wall sections for your fortress are looking ace!

Uther the unhinged:

Wow! That looks like it will be awesome. Planning rubble sections ahead. Hats off to you Sir!:hat off:hat off

tjub:

Looks great so far, castles and fortifications is always something that makes the table pop a bit more!
You could take inspiration from the Maginot line, Fort Eben-Emael or the swedish Oscar IIs fort both which are all pretty cool and about the “correct” time period.

Abecedar:

Thanks everyone.

Except for the Belgi-ish Fort Eben-Emael which is the right era, the others are much too modern by 20 - 30 years.
Thanks for the ideas though. I’ve actually browsed images from there whilst researching.
I’m having some difficulties deciding how to get the look right.

Yes. Lots of plans, including replaceable rubble sections for breached ones,  I actually temporarily forgot about a gate(s) but it is still intended.   Little details like doors, ladders, communication lines, entrenchments, barbettes, turrets, winches and derricks.

Which will all have to wait for a while due to our Task-masters unveiling the latest artisans

tjub:

Ah, jupp I know. But they do look pretty similar from the outside.

Oscar IIs fort was built 1903-1907 btw, its located in Gothenburg where I live. :slight_smile:

Abecedar:

Some small progress on one bit my AQMF terrain. It’s the Graveyard and Rendered Walls sets from 4Ground.

I’ve decided to put all of these types of sets on Hex set out basing’s

Abecedar:

Another side project I struggle with is spoked wheels.   Getting all the spokes even constantly defeats me. So I came up with a plan, I made a template with all the radiating lines and cut V - grooves out along the lines.  Good plan… poor execution.  I plainly didn’t get all the grooves depth or the width consistent and it didn’t work.

So I put a piece of duct tape down and laid down the spokes on it.

Abecedar:

After that change of plan, things worked better. I super glued the centre and then stuck this ring thingie (from the shed) onto it for a rim.

Then I removed it from the tape, cleaned up excess glue, flipped it over then glued another ring on it.

Cut the excess ends of the spokes and Tah Dah… a wheel.

Here it is next to one of the wheels from the Prussian A7V. The real wheel is 20mm so my one is 25mm.

As the scale is 15mm AQMF / 18mm Dark World War, that would make my wheel about 8 or 9 foot tall.

I then realised I needed more round thingies because 1 wheel is reasonably un-useful, so I tracked it down at the Hardware shop and they are Circular Saw Shims at $4.00 each.

Abecedar:

Oops I missed putting up my A7V Tesla Tank I painted for the Slaves2Gaming painting comp