[Archive] My Upcoming First Chaos Dwarf Game and its v.s. Skaven

Delgdeathaxe:

I recently have gotten hold of the Tamurkhan and am excited about FINALLY being able to play the Almighty Chaos Dwarfs again. New to Warhammer 8th edition and the game will be against Skaven. The rules will be 3k points and no named characters. Any help on what to lookout for and a good idea of a build would be most welcome and appreciated.

Cobra7:

Target the warp lightning cannons first thing.

Next if the general is on foot, target that unit with everything you can. Heck even if he is in a bell, I would still target it, however he is much harder to kill. What your going for is if you can kill enough of the rats pushing the bell to make his general be stuck across the board and thus reducing the leadership of the rest of his units. When that happens, they are much easier to deal with. Also on a bell the general will have a 2+ ward save vs magic.

He will GREATLY outnumber you, so I suggest setting up in a corner to avoid being hit in the front by slaves and flanked by everything else.

Skaven have lots of options, so it’s hard to say how the list will be played, above are the main tactics I always use vs skaven.

Insidious:

Sounds about right, as far as helping you with a build what exactly do we have to work with?

Delgdeathaxe:

3000 point army no special character. as for what I have, I have all the warmachines and can convert whatever infantry I dont have. One day I will have to start posting pics of what I have been doing with my army. You will definately like this Insidious. Im using mantic models for conversions

MLP:

Deathshriekers, Hellcannons and Dreakquakes should be pretty good with the large templates and panic causing ability. Stubborn blocks of infernals shouldn’t have many problems with any of their blocks. And if they can’t then throw a Destoyer at it.

Lore of death or Lore of Hashut with spells to snipe characters would probably be good(unless he has the bel like Cobra7 said)

Baggronor:

Kill the toys. Target the war machines asap. If he has Doomwheels, they are high priority as the D6 wounds per shot can pose a serious problem for your monsters and monstrous infantry/beasts.

Deploy your war machines on the baseline in a corner, and keep some units nearby to limit the places where Gutter Runners can come on in reserve. Their poisoned slings will absolutely murder war machines and many Skaven players take multiple units of them.

Their rank and file troops are not a direct danger to your units in melee. The real threat comes from slaves; Skaven can fire into combat with Slaves, so he will tarpit you with some big blocks and shoot/cast into combat. Pound the slaves first with artillery fire to make this a non-issue.

Death magic is very good vs Skaven as they have poor Ld. Target the Grey Seer, as the Dreaded 13th spell will wipe out your expensive IG quickly.

Expect the Doomrocket, the silliest item in Warhammer. This is sadly unavoidable.

Delgdeathaxe:

Here is the list I am thinking of taking.

Feedback and tactics would be much appreciated.

Sorcerer-Prophet

Great Taurus mount

Lore of Hashut

Enchanted shield

Dispel scroll

Talisman of preservation

Ruby ring of ruin

Infernal Guard x31

Full command

Great weapons

Banner of eternal flame

Infernal Guard x31

Full command

Great weapons

Infernal Ironsworn x30

Full command

Razor Standard

Iron Daemon

Hellbound

Dreadquake Mortar

Slave Ogre

Magma Cannon

Deathshrieker Death rocket

Delgdeathaxe:

I miss my Earthaker…

Cobra7:

Here is the list I am thinking of taking.
Feedback and tactics would be much appreciated.

Sorcerer-Prophet
Great Taurus mount
Lore of Hashut
Enchanted shield
Dispel scroll
Talisman of preservation
Ruby ring of ruin

Infernal Guard x31
Full command
Great weapons
Banner of eternal flame

Infernal Guard x31
Full command
Great weapons

Infernal Ironsworn x30
Full command
Razor Standard

Iron Daemon
Hellbound

Dreadquake Mortar
Slave Ogre

Magma Cannon

Delgdeathaxe
I forgot the biggest threat inthe skaven army next to the warp lighting cannon, thats the abomination (aka a-bomb, very apt name). If you must get into close combat with it, bull centaurs are the best choice. It is T6 with 4+ regen and 6 wounds. If he plays it read the rules very carefully.

The other comment I wanted to make is about the Doomweel. Not to offend anyone, but it is my experience that it isn't that good. It needs to be respected, but maneuvering will reduce it's effectiveness. In fact in tournaments, you very rarely see these things. The things that it can do well against are also faster, so keep them away and you'll do fine.

If your bringing a dedicated list vs skaven, here are my opinions. Keep in mind that I have not yet taken a CD list to a tournament so please take these with a grane of salt. Where I am speaking from is how I think CD units work and a lot of experience fighting skaven.

I would suggest dropping a unit of Infernal Guard and get a unit of hobgoblins with bows. These will shoot at weapon teams and other small units. When charged use stand and shoot with knives. I would actually focus fire on the unit I expect to fight these guys. Reason being is of all the units in the CD book, you can expect this unit to out-rank the skaven block sooner than the rest, break them, then have the best chance of flanking other skaven units fighting your infernal guard, then negate steadfast on them and yada yada.

I can't argue with the infernal guard being 31 strong, but I wouldn't do it vs skaven, I would do 25. That is my own opinion though.

I would also drop the iron daemon as it's likely to get into a unit of 50 slaves and stay there the entire game. I personal would take a K'Daii destroyer, but be very very careful with him until the cannons are destroyed.

The main tactic you need to use is to somehow negate your opponents leadership. Once that happens entire skaven units just kinda disappear. One way is to kill his general. Second way, is to get flank charges with units that have ranks. This is difficult, but not impossible. The other fun thing about skaven is when they are fleeing, they are almost impossible to rally. So you can focus on panic tests on units outside the generals range. Never opt to pursue skaven units.

Skaven is a very very hard army to beat, but once you learn how they are much easier. Don't be suprised if you loose. It takes practice.

Last thing, I would deploy no closer than 10" in as opposed to the normal 12". They have a movement of 5, which means first turn they march they will move 10 and now need 11's to charge you turn 2. It gives you an extra turn of shooting.

Hope this helps.

brotsorrow:

Last thing, I would deploy no closer than 10" in as opposed to the normal 12". They have a movement of 5, which means first turn they march they will move 10 and now need 11's to charge you turn 2. It gives you an extra turn of shooting.

Cobra7
No matter what list you chose, this is your best piece of advice IMO. Good luck and enjoy the learning experience

Delgdeathaxe:

thank you for all the valuable information it is much appriciated and will update the list as more info comes in and thoughts are put together. as another side note question can the iron daemon shoot while it is in combat? also how effective would it be against the screaming bell or the plague furnace. i know the skaven player uses either alot against my other friends so im sure that item is pretty much guaranteed

Delgdeathaxe:

Just finished the game only lost 514 points total and left the skaven with only 945 points on the board total victory. Now my chaos dwarfs have a pair of rat skin slippers each.

Samanos:

Just finished the game only lost 514 points total and left the skaven with only 945 points on the board total victory. Now my chaos dwarfs have a pair of rat skin slippers each.

Delgdeathaxe
Victory to the Chaos Dwarfs!!! ROAR!!:cheers