[Archive] 'Naked' Hobgobbo conversion (now with painted pics)

CheTralfara:

Yeah I really don’t get how gnoblars can be used effectively as hobbos… Why would something weaker and smaller than a normal goblin have a better weapon skill?

.nick

Grimstonefire:

An update with the first pics, now it’s no longer simply an idea!

Sorry for the poor pics, I was eager to take pics as soon as I’d made him.  Very quick compared to some methods, not as quick as others.

What have I learned from this? Use superglue, not poly cement. Also to be very careful handling the mini as it feels quite fragile. I would have been better to sculpt the ears before attaching the arms. The raised one meant I had to do a mashed ear on that side.

Kera foehunter:

he probably make a sneeky git !! but walking on the tip toes looks a little odd

Grimstonefire:

What if he was running?  He looks a bit scared/ crazed etc I think :h This is the only way I’ll have hobgoblins, so I’m happy with it.

The fluff behind the unit was that before the battle they are drugged with hallucinatory smoke.  The hobgoblin slaver behind them has a daemonic mask, and all the chaingang try and flee in terror away from him.  They’re really crazy.

I need to add some chains to this guy, and I will probably have to sculpt a better body to cast.  The muscles on his back are all wrong, but I couldn’t be bothered to correct them.  In a unit it won’t be obvious.

I agree he would make a very sneaky sneaky git.  I’d need to find a lot more hand swaps to give a whole unit daggers.

Kera foehunter:

well maybe with weapons he look more fierce !!

CheTralfara:

Honestly I think (because of the tip toes) Sneaky Gitz is the best choice for this conversion… but I agree with Kera it will probably look more badass with weapons. What if you have armoured hobbos? How will you convert that, if this is the only type of hobbo in your army? Just wondering…

Other than that, it looks really fantastic! I didn’t think it would turn out as well as it did. You are pioneering new territory for the long list of possible hobbo conversions (my own army includes 7 different types/ways of making hobbos!).

.nick

so.sad:

Ahh, a first impression. It’s always better to actually see something so you can talk about it.

Well, I must say the result is far better then I’d expected. If you look from the front this model is realy cool. After reading your fluff I can imagine this guy running in panic. Sadly if you look from the side the model proportions look a little odd. The upper body is outsized and looks much too muscular given the rest of the body.

The fact that he’s walking on his toes isnt as bad as I thought it would be when we first brought this up. I think with proper basing this can be covered up easily.

As for the hand swaps, you could probably cast them as well. Sure these are tiny pieces but I think you make a single mould here and with a little shaking they should come out fine.

All in all I’d say this is a working attemp. If you add some detail here and there and make a new upper body as you said no one will recognize the feet. Other than this this is a nice model and I’m sure a unit of these would look good.

It’s at least a fresh taste on hobgoblin conversions and their size is just perfect.

Grimstonefire:

Here he is painted.  I do plan to add some chains to his ankles, but I wanted to show the same model as before for these pics.

The skin receipe was:

Skull White undercoat

Basecoat Scorched Brown

Highlight with Catachan Green

Catachan and Camo Green Mixed (layers)

Cammo Green

Scars were painted Camo Green and Rotting Flesh mixed

Cuts were straight Dark Angels Green, with Camo Green painted around the edges.

These pics don’t really do it any favours, it looks better the right size :wink:

Khan!:

Looks good to me, although if I were to level criticism I would say that the chest is a bit big for the rest of his body.

The running/crazy/psychotropic hallucinations fluff is good too, I approve.

Joshmohr:

SNEAKY gits… Key word, Sneaky. There probably SNEAKING up on some one.

Swissdictator:

I actually really like how this is has turned out grim. It looks amazing. I may have to use this idea if you would not be opposed to my doing so, in the case of hobgobs w/o armor/shields.

I think he could be used for unprotected Hobgobs or sneaky gits. No weapon in hands for the former, if you can fit weapons in each hands for the later.

Grim, this is great. I’m impressed by your imagination on this one.

Joshmohr:

Err- what did u use for the torso?

Grimstonefire:

@Swiss

Thanks.  Use anything on CDO that inspires you.

@Joshmohr

I used an plastic ungor one chopped down.  If you have one infront of you this will make more sense:

Basically I cut down diagonally either side following the line of the belt, going about 1mm higher than the belt buckle.  So the bottom of the body is now a V shape.  I then filed away the sides of the torso a little to make him a bit thinner.

Next I trimmed off all the fur, trying hard to keep the back smooth and his necklace thing intact.  I tried to scrap a little bit of simple musculature on his back, but I should really have done this bit anatomically correct.

Lastly I scraped off the lowest level of his six pack, so that he looks underfed (and the body sits better on the legs).

A bit more filing here and there to get it to fit and look hunched over and it was done.  Greenstuff can fill any gaps.

The most annoying thing about using any body without a neck is that you have to sculpt it every time.

Lord Archaon:

Wow! Imho this is the coolest hobgoblin i ever seen! Really cool converting and painting work! He reminds me of Might and Magic VI goblin. Hope to see a whole unit of those.

:hat off

Grimstonefire:

I just came up with another cool idea…  Instead of putting shackles on their legs/ arms/ waist etc with the chains attached, I will have them attached like piercings!  Let’s see them hobgobbos escape now! :idea

Kera foehunter:

Grims what no scars from the whips!!! i do like the color of the hobgoblin

Grimstonefire:

A small update, this time showing my torso I cast.  Admitedly you can’t see most of the details, I tried to make it so he didn’t look like a walking skeleton. The overall height is about 1mm taller than the last one.

I have also made some knives which I put in the mould, and some chains.  Later in the week I will have a go at casting them in metal.  They look suitably sneaky, but for this unit I may only give a couple to some.  They’re supposed to be slaves after all.

The more I look at the crypt ghoul legs and arms the more I realise how perfect they are for hobgoblins.  They have shards of bone and rings piercing the skin, which can easily be painted as metal spikes.  They even have whip marks/ scars!

Arashi:

Really cool and different, indeed. I wouldn´t say that it´s an conversion if I only had seen the painted one.

wallacer:

Having a chain attached to their waist would be a good idea. That way them being posed like that would make it look like they were straining against the chain.

Kera foehunter:

this guy look better grims!! he be a cool bloodbowl figure add a football