[Archive] Need Advice as I am deathly afraid of screwing up

Gargolock:

Hello, I will cut right to the chase. I recently bought a somewhat pricey model, which is irregular for me. It was Thorgrim Grudgebearer. I am planning on converting the mightiest of dwarfs to the most twisted of the chaos dwarfs; Ghorth The Cruel. I already have some basic knowledge as I have already been working on some converted warriors (spoiler alert, there might be a golden hat entry from me).

I already carefully cut his helmet off and filed it flat. I will use a chaos marauder drum for his hat. I know to use my extra fine white milliput to sculpt skulls on all dwarf faces spread on belt buckles and such. I am also planning on making the dragon and eagle gargoyle type things on the throne to be bulls. Though I already have practiced sculpting beards on my warriors and some lords I haven�?Tt shown on this forum yet (Cough Zhatan Cough). I am just too afraid to try to do a beard. The palanquin bearers basically aren�?Tt gonna be touched. I will put some skulls here and there but I won�?Tt give them big hats as in my mind acolytes would wear masks as they don�?Tt want to show any honour to themselves as they believe hashut deserves it all. (and rightfully so). That�?Ts the �?olore�?� (just a little side thing I think, don�?Tt know why I just prefer acolytes without hats) reason to back up the non big hat acolytes. I am also too afraid to mess with them as their pose is more complex than Thorgrim�?Ts. Ghorth has always been my favourite chaos dwarf sorcerer and the Thorgrim model has always been a model I have wanted.

Is there anything I am forgetting? Any advice for sculpting bulls or skulls to make it easier? Also any finecast weird things I should be aware of? I have only found one minor air bubble in one of the bearers arms that I can easily fill in. I have washed it with a toothbrush thoroughly as well.

Admiral:

Nice conversion plans! I could make a bull’s head and flat skull ornament sculpting tutorial if you like. But I’ve got a bunch of restocking order casrings to sort through first, so perhaps this could happen first next week, if you’re interested?

I think the beards won’t be much of a problem to sculpt, if you were to give them ringlets. They’re much easier than, say, sculpting a bull’s head.

Jasko:

Great plan!

So mhm unfortunately I cannot give any advice for the beard, I never sculpted a chaos dwarf beard (or other beard, for that matter). But yeah, I think you have to do it, the beards are very important eyecatchers for dwarf/chaos dwarf models. I think it would never really look chaos-dwarfy without, but will instantly look good when done. For that reason I would also suggest doing it for the bearers! I very much agree with your reasoning for the hats, I think the current masks are fine, but they need braided beards I’m afraid. Do you have plans for the weapons? They all look quite dawi-like, I think they could use a chaos-dwarf treatment. And I would say the throne itself needs more spikes or so.

Looking forward to it, really nice idea!

Willmark:

Hello, I will cut right to the chase. I recently bought a somewhat pricey model, which is irregular for me. It was Thorgrim Grudgebearer. I am planning on converting the mightiest of dwarfs to the most twisted of the chaos dwarfs; Ghorth The Cruel. I already have some basic knowledge as I have already been working on some converted warriors (spoiler alert, there might be a golden hat entry from me).
I already carefully cut his helmet off and filed it flat. I will use a chaos marauder drum for his hat. I know to use my extra fine white milliput to sculpt skulls on all dwarf faces spread on belt buckles and such. I am also planning on making the dragon and eagle gargoyle type things on the throne to be bulls. Though I already have practiced sculpting beards on my warriors and some lords I haven�?Tt shown on this forum yet (*Cough* Zhatan *Cough*). I am just too afraid to try to do a beard. The palanquin bearers basically aren�?Tt gonna be touched. I will put some skulls here and there but I won�?Tt give them big hats as in my mind acolytes would wear masks as they don�?Tt want to show any honour to themselves as they believe hashut deserves it all. (and rightfully so). That�?Ts the �?olore�?� (just a little side thing I think, don�?Tt know why I just prefer acolytes without hats) reason to back up the non big hat acolytes. I am also too afraid to mess with them as their pose is more complex than Thorgrim�?Ts. Ghorth has always been my favourite chaos dwarf sorcerer and the Thorgrim model has always been a model I have wanted.

Is there anything I am forgetting? Any advice for sculpting bulls or skulls to make it easier? Also any finecast weird things I should be aware of? I have only found one minor air bubble in one of the bearers arms that I can easily fill in. I have washed it with a toothbrush thoroughly as well.

Gargolock
I'd say go for it the reality is you really can't screw up the green stuff for the beards (I assume that is what you are using for the beards),

While not easy it cant be pried off if need be.

Grimstonefire:

I would say, speaking from experience, that greenstuff is actually a lot easier to get fine details than the fine miliput.