[Archive] New Avatars of War Dwarf

Ghrask Dragh:

concept for next mini…

check out new site… http://www.avatars-of-war.com/

Thommy H:

The sculpting is excellent but sometimes with AoW it’s like, “whoa, calm down!” Less is more sometimes, especially when it comes to something I actually have to paint.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

wow just wow, that is so cool. also love the concept sketch for the beastman hero

Pyro Stick:

Thats awesome. Optional cigar lol. I guess it looks a little bit like a chaos dwarf, with its blunderbuss and pleated beard. The axe is fairly epic as well.

Ghrask Dragh:

Could definetly be used as Chaos Dwarf, I’ve ordered 2 already! I like he doing so many options with the miniatures now aswell.

Nazhur:

Looks awsome, both this dwarf and the comming beastmen. I just wish he did a chaos dwarf, suck. Can only hope. but this is at leasts something you can do something with. Perhaps even I should order one…?

Kera foehunter:

i love that sweet cigar smoking gun toting dwarf.

clam:

WOW! Felix rules :hat And yes, he could definitely be used as CD-Tyrant - even as Tyrant Zhurak :wink:

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I’m not too fond of the dwarf, I feel he should be looking in the direction of the handgun, not somewhere else. But the Beastman hero is great! :slight_smile:

torn:

the avatars of war art/sculpting/design is seriously cool

they are a bit over the top for my personal tastes though. i know the point is to be a focus in your army, but i feel they would take away from it.

they are good though i reckon i might get some just to paint at some time

Kera foehunter:

now how about a female chaos dwarf!!!

Pyro Stick:

I dont see why people are complaining about how detailed he makes his models. Each of his models is an amazing accomplishment in the world of moddeling, especially when you compare then to GW. I think its great that there is someone out there who is so talented and is putting his talent to good use like felix does.

gIL^:

optional big hat?

Thommy H:

I dont see why people are complaining about how detailed he makes his models.
Because detailed isn't always better. I prefer a cleaner, simpler sculpt, personally.

Pyro Stick:

I dont see why people are complaining about how detailed he makes his models.
Because detailed isn't always better. I prefer a cleaner, simpler sculpt, personally.

Thommy H
I doubt he would deliberatly sculpt below his ability.

Thommy H:

Why would you think detail correlates with ability? Any artist will tell you that packing in as much complexity and extraneous stuff as possible doesn’t make for a superior design.

Pyro Stick:

Well most people, when out looking for a model to buy, would go for one that is awesomely sculpted, like felix’s stuff, over something that has better packaging. Felix puts his models in small plastic cases and thats it. Nothing fancy but he still has some of the best sculpts around.

Thommy H:

I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about now. Packaging? What does that have to do with anything?

I’m talking about the sculpt. It’s a good sculpt, but his style has too much detail for my taste. I prefer a cleaner, simpler sculpt. I always feel like he’s trying to put as much texture and little talismans and trophies hanging off stuff as possible. It doesn’t necessarily mean his technique is superior to masters of anatomy and posing like Kev White, Paul Muller and Steve Buddle.

Different strokes for different folks though. I did like his Dark Elf Witch, but that beastman figure is going to look too crazy for me.

minty:

I agree with tommy, theres such a thing as less is more…

he’s an awesome sculpter and all, but making a plain sculpt look interestiong IMHO requieres a lor more skill. and his models all do seem to have more detail than I like

also, Pyro, you don’t sculpt/convert so can forgive you for this but putting on less decoration isn’t necacerily easier, especialy if your going for identical scaled instead of squigly lines to define armour plates, the lines are more decorative, the scales are harder.

see what i mean about plain, I mean something that looks functional, not like the guy whering it’s trying to show off

Pyro Stick:

@tommyh: sorry, i misread your post.

I wont bother arguing this then. We will just leave it at some people like more detail and some dont.