[Archive] New Beastmen rumours

Gar Shadowfame:

I know there was something somewhere that beastmen are loke how they look cos this is image that folk of empire fears, thats why beastmen look totaly different in Cathay, as folk legends of scary monsters from the woods are different. Also having them look similar means they can make plastic models :smiley:

AGPO:

No trouble with the classic ‘gor’ image - its an old favourite of mine and I personally love the current BoC range. My only problem is that back in the day ‘beastmen’ were wierd and wonderful, now along with the rest of the chaos range they seem to have been more strictly defined and categorised, which seems to go against their very essence.

I may start a project once my current chaos army is done to model some old school beastmen and resurect some of the creatures from that time. Shouldn’t be too hard to do, easier than greenstuffing an entire chaos dwarf army anyway.

slev:

This week’s “Incoming” mailing list post shows the army book cover and gives a release of February.

clam:

It certainly did :smiley:

wallacer:

So they’re actually Beastmen and not Beasts of Chaos.

Grimstonefire:

I was hoping they’d focus more on the random mutant beasts this time around, rather than on the kind with the goat heads.  Still, the rumours are sounding interesting so far.  Should be some more chaos bits to use for CD conversions.

The name change is interesting, it almost implies that the beasts are more separate from the chaos gods than they have been in the past.  They didn’t have to change the name.

I don’t know if they’re planning to include the minotaurs in the same box as the new ogres, but that big guy makes me think they’re completely changed how minotaurs look to be more like ogres. It makes sense from a money saving point of view I guess.

Baggronor:

I don't know if they're planning to include the minotaurs in the same box as the new ogres, but that big guy makes me think they're completely changed how minotaurs look to be more like ogres. It makes sense from a money saving point of view I guess.
And shelf space. They look more like Beast+men, emphasising the human-beast meld rather than having them as a stable species kinda thing.

Grimstonefire:

There’s loads of rumours on warseer about these guys, maybe later in the week I will have a read and see.  From what I gather there will be a box of 3, but I don’t know if this will be combined with the ogres or a separate box.

I asked over on warseer if they might be able to get chaos armour, which imo would answer the question.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Does anybody else feel a little disheartened by the book cover? I find that the colours seem weak and undefined and the character and minotaur look as though they simply drew humans and drew goat heads, then cut and pasted the heads on… I much prefer the last incarnation of the cover art, although the pose of the central beastmen wasn’t quite interesting enough.

I agree about the name: it does seem to imply a departure from being worshippers of Chaos, but rather mere beasts of it, similar to chimerae in Ulthuan.

wallacer:

Does anybody else feel a little disheartened by the book cover?

Hashut's Blessing
What disheartened me the most was the minotaur. He looks too ogre-like.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Personally, I find he doesn’t even look like an ogre, but rather a very tall man. Maybe a miniature version of the giant mini, lol :stuck_out_tongue: Reminds me a little of Gladiator where one of the combatants has a bull’s head on…

AGPO:

The name change is interesting, it almost implies that the beasts are more separate from the chaos gods than they have been in the past.  They didn't have to change the name.

Grimstonefire
No, but don't forget that they were called beastmen in 5th edition and previous. The term 'beasts of chaos' was only introduced in 6th ed to fit in with 'hordes of chaos.' At the time there was a lot of conjecture that that name change was due to some big change in the army, but ot turned out they just wanted something to fit in, and maybe cover the big guys choices a little better too.
I don't know if they're planning to include the minotaurs in the same box as the new ogres, but that big guy makes me think they're completely changed how minotaurs look to be more like ogres. It makes sense from a money saving point of view I guess.

Grimstonefire
I quite like the 'new look' of the minotour - when I read the greek myths as a kid I always pictured the minotour like that. It was always a giantcreature wit hthe body of a man and a bull's head. The whole thing of giving them hooves was GW's attempt to make them fit in with Beastmen a little better. Look at the Warhammer quest Minotour and the doombull - they all have feet.

cornixt:

I like the beast-man look rather than the bipedal-beast look.

The thing on his chest reminds me a bit too much of the film Seven.

Are you a leg or a beast man?

nitroglysarine:

I like the beast-man look rather than the bipedal-beast look.

The thing on his chest reminds me a bit too much of the film Seven.
Are you a leg or a beast man?

cornixt
yeah now you point it out. But it'd say it was kinda more on his belly.

it was the lust 'attachment' wasn't it.

AGPO:

one thing that does bother me is the fact that the head and torso are two different colours. I really hope this doesn’t signal beastmen getting furry heads.

Hashut’s Blessing:

AGPO, that’s kind of what I was getting at: I don’t mind the two different parts, or at least I wouldn’t as much if they were closer in colour toe ach other. So, either have lighter fur on the head or darken the skin somewhat, maybe add some chest hair (which grown men often have) or something… He’s too hairless elsewhere I think is the problem.

The Brain:

I kind of like the idea that they may be parting from Chaos. It would be nice if Beastmen developed into their own race rather than just another form of Chaos. It would be cool if they had their own gods and myths like orcs. They would still be easy allies of Chaos and orcs, but with thier own feel. If GW did that, then the army would be more stand alone and not so much an attachment of Chaos.

AGPO:

tbh if there’s one group I’d like to grow awa from chaos and gain their own identity its the Norse. THe beastmen are by their very nature creatures of chaos. In fact one of the names for them used to be 'the children of chaos. I think their identity has died off in recent editions but they always used to have one.

wallacer:

Beastmen book available for preorder from Maelstrom:

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gwk_wfb_boc_ess_102_000

cornixt:

The beastmen models have pretty much been always able to be painted as European flesh with different heads. The 4th edition GW Chaos army painting scheme was pretty much all “tanned Frenchman” (relatively light skin, with a bit of brown hair on the body) with a goat-shaped head and legs. Later they went dark (not that there weren’t armies of the dark versions long before anyway). The very few colour pictures of beastmen seem to have influenced people a lot!