[Archive] New Edition, new ideas, new tactics

Lord Fokke:

Hello everyone, a new edition is upon us and so far I havent seen much in the way of new setups, tactics to take advantage of the new rules and if much has changed.

I have decided on an expensive fighty lord in my 2250 list.

Lord, Great Taurus, Armor of forge, Black hammer, potion of speed, shield.

I need to check my book, but that will give him a 2+ save, with a ward save, and both of them immune to fire, which i expect to see very often on the battle field due to the cheap banner which grants flaming attacks.

GW units will be much better than they were due to the extra rank. Have a sorcerer nearby with lore of metal and the scaly skin spell and they get buffed quite a bit.

The flaming banner would be a nice cheap addon for the BSB with all the benefits it already gives and would make cavalry think twice before charging the GWs even though fear is no longer as cool as it was, although it did get buffed by having to roll each turn.

Step up hurt our Bull centaurs but I think they will still be a valuable flanking force, although I think the wolf riders do it better since they can actually take away rank bonus even if they cant hit as hard.

The new common items definately were a buff to us. I have a couple in mind as noted above but what other interesting and useful combos have people come up with.

Baggronor:

Well, I played a game yesterday with my ‘counts as’ Dwarfs CDs, and the basic warriors with great weapons are absolutely awesome. I ran 2 blocks of 24, 6 wide (the extra width is v nice for more attacks) with great weapons, no shields. They murdered a 40-strong Ghoul horde and even took down Grave Guard (great weapons striking simultaneously with other great weapons is also nice for low Initiative Dwarfs :)). In the second game I played, they were sat near an altar of Khorne and the frenzy it granted was rather handy too :slight_smile:

The basic warrior is definitely the best troop type in RH CDs too now. Big units of them (24+) are the way to go, as they do take quite a lot of damage too.

rabotak:

I agree the taurus is a even more of a beast now, with t-stomp attacks, the breath weapon also being able to be cast into cc, and the greater command radius for the general… btw if you swap your shield to enchanted shield, which costs only 5 points in 8th (at least in the german version), you can get a 1+ armour save :wink:

i really enjoy playing large blocks of sneaky gits now and a cheap
50 strong hobgoblin horde… they die quickly but still have a load of attacks and often steadfast! i had the hobbo-horde-block hold the line against two imperial units, marauders and chaos warriors, and saurus for 3-4 rounds… they dont win a game, but they fill a gap  ;)

chaos dwarf warriors: i agree with everything baggronor said.
blunderbusses: more infantry to kill and defensive attacks…
welcome to 8th!
wolf riders: one of the best warhammer units gaining the 40k scout-rule
… i guess theyll be fine
hobgoblin archers are fieldable again thanks to volley…massed cheap bowfire is a nice option…

unfortunately, my preferred command option in 7th, a bullcentaur lord equipped with hammer, gauntlets and armour of gazrakh protecting warmachines or hunting alone has yet to find its place in 8th edition…
hes simply to vulnerable to use alone due to return attacks and fielding him in a unit of bullcentaurs doesn´t really make it better.
i guess bcs are now pretty useless other than distraction or soaking up enemy fire for a round.
i loved them in 7th and so i´m going to try out if theyre more viable in big units 15+, with a nice banner or two, but this will get expensive and they´re still very fragile.

IMO, every unit except for bcs gained at least a small boost, but after a couple of games, unlike in 7th, im still not sure how to field cds effectively in this edition… i enjoy increased attack range, more missile-weapons, a bucket load of new shiny magic items, dwarfs, hordes and taurus, but fighting in initiative gives me headaches… it makes everything a little tricky for me because i have to use bigger blocks now over the small and squishy ones i was used to…and im not sure if there will be any cavalry-support. still, i think 8th is an improvement over 7th and cds will get along fine with 8th! :cheers

Lord Fokke:

I originally had the enchanted shield but then thought that you couldnt have two magic armors. Could be wrong though. Yeah I redid my list a bit. I plan on two units of 10 wolfriders along with 2 hobgob heros with great weapons to go war machine hunting. I completely forgot about thunderstomp. Wow tauruses have a mean assault ability.

Hey looking at the book, what happens if a terror causer charges a unit already in combat. Does the unit still roll for terror and possibly run thus allowing the guys in combat to pursue?

phierlihy:

I originally had the enchanted shield but then thought that you couldnt have two magic armors. Could be wrong though. Yeah I redid my list a bit. I plan on two units of 10 wolfriders along with 2 hobgob heros with great weapons to go war machine hunting. I completely forgot about thunderstomp. Wow tauruses have a mean assault ability.
Hey looking at the book, what happens if a terror causer charges a unit already in combat. Does the unit still roll for terror and possibly run thus allowing the guys in combat to pursue?

Lord Fokke
No, you are immune to panic while in combat. And a Terror check is now just a Panic Check.

AGPO:

Terror has been nerfed, badly. There’s no more landing your terror causer behind enemy lines and breaking him.

Hobgoblin hordes are awesome - for 230pts you get 50 hobgoblins with light armour, shields and full command. Whack a CD hero in them or keep them near the general and they’ll be steadfast at Ld10. You can hold up ANYTHING with that unit. Also not to be sniffed at are large units of archers with a standard bearer - the volley rule means you can put out a decent volume of shots whilst still being effective in H2H due to decent static. Try giving your unit of 30 archers light armour and shields, leading them with a hero and deploying them as a horde - 25 shots, 25 more as stand and shoot followed by 30 attacks at pretty good initiative plus the hero. 5+ save plus parry means you’ll save more than one in three wounds on average, plus you’ve got two ranks and a banner to your static. Even if you loose combat you’ve got Ld 10 and potentially steadfast. With a musician you can even ‘quick reform’ into a better combat formation before being charged.

Our artillery has taken a real boost. For competitive games, the double Earthshaker is now even nastier. In a 1,000pts game you can also take 6 bolt throwers for 180pts and still take another 320pts of special choices. That means a big block of Black Orcs and/or Big Uns or potentially four death rockets. Infact it’s perfectly viable in larger games to spam artillery and still put several large blocks of infantry in the field to protect them.