[Archive] new gw paint jars

Kera foehunter:

I hate them !! i had to let out my pain on this problem .I have nothing but problems with them sealing up… right after i use them and done painting i clean the tops after every use… but it finely builds up and the next time i use them there dry out

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i’m going to kill someone…

die die die !!:o

Kera

Mad Dave:

I feel your pain kara…

Hashut’s Blessing:

Make sure to push the back of the lid down if it’s from the current range.

they’re also water-based so add a single drop of water and mix in and repeat as necessary - might save some. If completely dry, a little water and shake like made and leave to sit for hours and shake like mad.

GRNDL:

I have nothing but problems with them sealing up.. right after i use them and done painting i clean the tops after every use.. but it finely builds up and the next time i use them there dry out

Kera foehuntter
Ya know, you can put the paint into other bottles or pots. :)
they're also water-based so add a single drop of water and mix in and repeat as necessary - might save some. If completely dry, a little water and shake like made and leave to sit for hours and shake like mad.

Hashut's Blessing
Stirring helps better than shaking, unless you stick a washer or some other kind of chunk inside to act as a stirrer when you shake. If paint is close to drying out completely, it will need some vigorous action and shaking ain't gonna do it, IMO.

snowblizz:

The new paints also separate furiously fast. Wanted some gold paint today. Lost more paint to the metal rod I needed to stir the gloop (aka pigment) into the medium than I needed for the mini. #¤%&££@$@

Abecedar:

thanks for the heads up. Seriously thinking of switching to other makers. I don’t have any new GW ones and all I’ve heard makes me wonder if they are worth it

Rickie:

Been using a mix of valejo and GW, but with the new name GW ones I’ll go all out Valejo. Valejo seems to me to be alot better also.

Oh I was able to type in valejo 3 times in 2 sentances, I might as well work for their marketing :slight_smile:

moogoodoo:

I haven’t had to get any new paints till the misses got me some for Christmas and im having exactly the same problems I find keeping all my new paints in an air tight tub helps with the drying out . As for the new names im still finding that a real pain I mean I have been buying blood red for over ten years why o why did they have to change the names

Kera foehunter:

Ya know, you can put the paint into other bottles or pots. Said Grndl

aggggggggggh Kera cusses. i can also pore it on the floor to or the table .

H b. says

Make sure to push the back of the lid down if it’s from the current range.

I give it a try

Ricki I’ll go all out Valejo. Valejo seems to me to be alot better also.

My only store that still around don’t sell Valejo Sad

the other guys i share your pain

I hate the new names and gw paint is nothing more than globs

Kera foehunter:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh g I hate getting that old nasty crap under my finger nails…

I’m sure you feal the same too

Hashut’s Blessing:

Kera: Alas, I have rock-fists, so no nails to worry about ^^

moogoodoo: Because if they didn’t, they wouldn’t sell ANY paints. They were displeased witht he company/companies producing their paints (inconsistency and poor quality), but couldn’t take the names with them. They applied their own IP and outsourced paint-production to another company which is consistent in the viscosity and make-up of the paints (no more having 16 versions of Scab Red in 4 pots…) - their names being ont he product means they can take the recipes to another supplier if things go squiffy and they can keep the names in the future. Also, it’s more fitting ot their own imagery now.

Animatone:

I’ve transferred a lot of my GW paints in to vallejo’esq droppers and I’ve just put in a little thinner/retarder into them to wash out what was left in the GW pot then poor it into the dropper bottle to mix up the rest.

Tedious? Yes, but it gets the job done and save me work on the back end.

Abecedar:

Our only local (30k’s away) paint supplier stocks only Humbrol now as the got pissed off with GW as a whole and have ceased to carry any of their products. Don’t really need anything at the moment as I’ve got a lot of paints but I’ll need new ones sooner or later.

Bad Gram Northern:

to better shake your paints, add stainless steel nuts, yes nuts, this kind: http://www.nutmanufacturers.com/picture/hex-nuts/stainless-hex-nut.jpg works like a charm

and yeah, those new jars are annoying!

Gunnerson:

So I have been painting GW and other minis sence the early 80s. If you are unhappy with your GW paints I might suggest the following in my order of perference.

Vallejo----I used to have to drive about 40 miles to get these, it was worth it. The new shop in town will be carrying these! Great pots and a large variety of smooth and constant colors :cheers

Tamiyo— Great range of smooth colors that apply cleanly

Warpaint—love the dropper, the local shops only carry the boxed sets, I would like to see a nice collection of single pots available for sale rather than all of the 6 color "army sets"

P3—Citadel (rate about the same in my opinion) These seem to be the most readily available. I have lots of problems with citadel pots being mostly dried up at the time of purchase or abnormaly thick. For example having a “layer” being the thickness of a foundation on a new pot. I found a easy fix for this by adding Golden band airbrush medium to the pot. In my experience if used 1:1 it thins the paint to a nice consistancy for brushing and also extends the life of the pot in addition it is also ready to go right into your airbrush when you need to shoot a new mini!:hat off

Bolg:

Been using a mix of valejo and GW, but with the new name GW ones I'll go all out Valejo. Valejo seems to me to be alot better also.
Oh I was able to type in valejo 3 times in 2 sentances, I might as well work for their marketing :)

Rickie
Same here, I also have a few old GW pots, you know those old happy ones... and they never dry up. Its a conspiracy I tell you (;

I'm defiantly slowly switching to Valejo.

cornixt:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Vallejo Model and Game ranges? They both claim to be good at the same thing except that Game is meant to be better at sticking to stuff. I don’t think I need anything special for that, or are they undercoat-free? I’m going to be placing a big order and can’t seem to pin down which ones to get. Pretty much replacing all my old paints

AGPO:

@Cornixt - it’s to do with target audience. Model colour is for historical gamers and military modellers, whilst game colour caters more to fantasy/sci-fi.

cornixt:

So the difference is really just the colours included in the range? That makes it easy.

JMR:

Yeah, Game colour has more vibrant colours included, while model colour has more muted tones included. I believe there is a difference in how the paints are made, but honestly, I doubt it’s very noticeable and you can just mix the ranges. Game colour is supposed to be more resistant to paint coming off during gaming. I’ve never had that problem with any brand of paint however, so I wouldn’t let it effect your decision.

Another range to look at is the model air range for metallic paints. The air range is made for use with airbrushes and is thinner than other paints. I haven’t used the paints yet myself, but I only hear good things about them. They contain a lot of very small metallic particles giving great results. Many people seem to find that they’re the best range for metallics - but do yourself a favour and google around a bit. If I recall correctly there’s a difference in quality between silver and gold paints too.

Edit: And on the original topic; yeah, the GW pots are annoying the crap out of me. Paints clogs up under the lid preventing it from closing properly resulting in dried out paints.