[Archive] New Hobby **This message was automatically appended because it was too short.**

Willmark:

Hah late April Fools! JK.

With my warhammer stuff largely packed away in anticipation of moving I’ve had to find something else to occupy my time while when I’m not working on WoH.

As an early fathers day gift I got a 35mm camera with a crap load of lenses. Now most of you will have no idea what that is without going to google! :wink: it’s been fun as it brought me back to college days shooting 35mm. Still out of practice however so I find out with my first three rolls next week when they come back from development.

Also going to shoot some Ektachrome which ends in terms of processing this year. I live in Roc NY the headquarters of Kodak. For those not in the know prior to the digital revolution they WERE photography. Ektachrome was used in some of the most iconic photos in color of the 20th century (google it). The other inetesting part is there is only one place left in the world that still develops and even they will be shutting this down at the end of the year. So I’ll be taking some of these as a bit of photographic history before it’s gone.

Just thought I’d share as some of the older folks on the site will know what it is.

EDIT: still shooting digital too as it’s more handy to do so.

snowblizz:

This reminded me I just read that someone was going to resurrect the polaroid. Kodak stopped doing them right? But there was such a demand for it that someone decided to take it up.

35m is regular photography isn’t it, refers to the width of the film.

Willmark:

Indeed it is.

I dropped off my first film rolls this week and get them back next Tuesday. Digital is so handy as you cn see the shot right afterwords… My kids were like 'let me see" wanting to look at the digital view finder to see the photo. They dont understand why there isnt one!

As far as Polaroid there was q huge lawsuit over it that Kodak lost in the late 80s.

Bassman:

Nice, I love to take pictures and I started in the film era!

I remember when I trained with a camera with a single lens, without any device to misure light. So I had to do everything guessing the light. It was a really good training.

Unfortunately I do not have much time now for takin’ pictures.

But I have to admit I love my digital reflex camera. It’s really much more flexible and I have a really wider range of possibilitiers than my previous analogic cameras… :slight_smile:

Enjoy!

Willmark:

Yeah it’s for hobby purposes so it’s all good. Plus i want to shoot some Kodachrome before it’s gone. At the end of this year the last place in the world that develops it will shut down. After that no more. The chemistry for it requires a great deal of time and money that can’t be reproduced by amatuers.

snowblizz:

Indeed it is.

I dropped off my first film rolls this week and get them back next Tuesday. Digital is so handy as you cn see the shot right afterwords... My kids were like 'let me see" wanting to look at the digital view finder to see the photo. They dont understand why there isnt one!

As far as Polaroid there was q huge lawsuit over it that Kodak lost in the late 80s.

Willmark
No this was something recent. Digital photography having essentially erased the market. At least what some execs thought and shut it down. Customers disagreed and someone else or new execs restarted it. Maybe it was isntant cameras? That rings a bell somehow.

cornixt:

Look here:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/03/23/polaroid_film/

AGPO:

Finally Wilmark, something to do with all that spare time of yours! :wink:

Willmark:

No this was something recent. Digital photography having essentially erased the market. At least what some execs thought and shut it down. Customers disagreed and someone else or new execs restarted it. Maybe it was isntant cameras? That rings a bell somehow.

snowblizz
Back in the 70's Kodak developed Instamatic (their version of Polaroid) which infringed on Polaroid patents. as a result they had to pay a 1 billion dollar fine (which was big even now) and stop selling Instamatic film.