[Archive] New starter set (almost) confirmed

AGPO:

It appears almost certain now that the new starter set will feature High Elves and Skaven. With the rumours I’ve heard, the Elf army will feature one or more of the special choices until now only available in metal. Likewise the skaven are said to be featuring a plastic weapons team (not known which type at present) and there is talk of a plastic griffon(!) This is the skaven’s first appearence in a starter box. It also makes the High Elves the only army other than Greenskins to appear in more than one starter set. Both were found in the fourth edition set; the very first ‘boxed game’ GW produced.

Total breakdown of appearences:

Three: Greenskins (4th, 6th, 7th)

Two: High Elves (4th, 8th)

One: Bretonians, Lizardmen (both 5th ed), Empire (6th), Dwarfs (7th) and now Skaven (8th)

What are people’s thought’s on this prospect. I’m a tad disappointed as I’m not especially keen to collect either army. I’d have prefered Empire and/or Chaos Warriors to be in there. That said, if the models are nice it’s two quick alternative armies, for not much more than the cost of the rulebook, so I’ll probably give it a go.

There are also implications for Chaos Dwarfs with the disappearence of BfSP. The cheapness of this box to provide a 2,000 pt army of Chaos Dwarfs was one of our big appeals. Now that this is gone how do you think it will hit the community? Will you guys be hoovering up BfSP boxes or with such extensive Dwarf and Greenskin plastic ranges is it no great loss?

Grimstonefire:

The contents last time I heard were:

10 swordmasters (who will be awesome under 8th)

20? lothern sea guard (who will be so awesome they’re probably a tad broken for their points)

Some form of cavalry (possibly ellyrian reavers, who like all fast cav get the bonus of the free move at start)

griffon

mage on foot.

Loads of clanrats/slaves

weapon teams

I don’t know any more on the contents, but it is a shame that they just had to make the contents of the box contain some of the most overpowered units…  Typical.

I am really excited about the skaven side, as I need to get at least another 2 units of slaves/clanrats real cheap.

In terms of the future of CD and BFSP, for maybe 6 months/a year I’m sure there will be lots of bargains to be had.  After this the temporary boost we had will probably shrink a little.  Hopefully it won’t be a big drop.  I know we’ve had a lot of people who have only come here because the BFSP set made it so cheap to build an army.

Thommy H:

10 swordmasters (who will be awesome under 8th)
All the talk I've read about that seems to be assuming that the High Elves' little thing about ASF overriding great weapons ASL is going to stay intact. The rumours from the rulebook about ASF seem to imply that the new, specific rule about it not taking precedent over great weapons striking last will also apply to High Elves - who else would it be aimed at, after all?

I would bet good (well, some) money that the PDF for High Elves will bust their ASF down to the rulebook standard.

AGPO:

I’m going to wait and see on the High Elf models. One of the problems I have with that army is that while their fluff and artwork is some of my favourite, the figures have never really matched my image of these guys. If the new minis are good enough then a High Elf army is certainly on the cards. The set may at least make Skaven hordes affordable to the likes of me. I have a feeling that if big skaven blocks become bargains in the same way Black Reach and Skull Pass units are on ebay now, a large dipped or washed skaven army may be on the cards, along with some characterful conversions.

My plan:

- Stock up on Skull Pass gobbos now

- Aquire new boxed set

- Dependant on which side has the best minis, start working on my first 8th ed army using the new box

Grimstonefire:

I’m hoping that it remains as ASF +ASL cancel out, but ASF and higher initiative = re-roll misses (the current rumour).

Some people are claiming the HE errata will say ASF overidding everything, which would make the Swordmasters pretty strong (ASF with GW and re-roll misses most of the time).

Willmark:

Makes [[BFSP]] still the most valuable starter set for us :wink:

I used to play HEs so it has at least some value to me. I’ve often thought of starting a new red black and white theme as far as colors for HEs.

AGPO:

I always thought they’d suit the Gold and blue of the lord of the rings models, with silver scale armour. Trouble is, I’ve already painted that scheme for my Tzeentch army.

Thommy H:

Some people are claiming the HE errata will say ASF overidding everything, which would make the Swordmasters pretty strong (ASF with GW and re-roll misses most of the time).
It's precisely because it will make them so strong that I believe they'll revert to the rulebook version of ASF.

Nicodemus:

Kered has shown that there’s some potential for converting Skaven to Chaos Dwarfs :wink: We’ll have to wait and see, but the Skaven’s love for engineering also feeds in to the Chaos Dwarf theme.

We’ll just have to wait to see who posts the first video for converting the new box set to a Chaos Dwarf army :wink:

~N

warh:

Skaven and HE is realy good for me becouse I play Skaven and I have some evil plans for HE:idea

cornixt:

I find both HE and Skaven to have some of the most dull models, so a full army has never appealled to me at all. Could it be that they are trying to mix a very classical fantasy army with what is pretty rarely found in other fantasy fluff? Never understood why they don’t ever put Chaos in the box.

Zanko:

Never understood why they don't ever put Chaos in the box.

cornixt
People would buy Chaos anyway - so GW needs no "promotion trick" to sell them!

:hashut

warh:

cornixt

Zanko
not sure about that, GW puts Orcs and Goblins and Space Marines in there starter boxes and they are the most sold armies.

Fequiil:

cornixt

Zanko
not sure about that, GW puts Orcs and Goblins and Space Marines in there starter boxes and they are the most sold armies.

warh
that because they are in the box.

Firehammer:

1.) BFSP sets will get cheaper with the new release. As you can still buy the old metal Chaos Dwarfs on ebay, the much more common BFSP dwarfs are in no danger to go extinct.

2.) I like Skaven and think that High Elves desperately need new miniatures to get close to their potential. I will certainly get a starter set (for the first time). Too bad that GW makes no effort to raise interest in the new starter set and start publishing pics.

3.) Starter sets are not always producing the most popular armies, see Bretonia/Lizardmen starter. Space Marines are popular, Orks are strong now and finally have an up-to-date Codex, so them being popular is also not entirely based on them being in the starter.

starscream:

Looking forward to this, HE have been my main army since 6th and I have a large fully painted force. I already have 30 swordmasters but I guess another 10 gives me 2 units of 20. The griffin will be nice as the one I currently use is from Black Tree Design as thus not store legal.

I have recently bought the skaven batallion and some extras so the skaven part of the box will help form a decent sized army.

If the clanrats in the box are similar to the current ones then we may see a lot of hobgoblins on here soon.

Patrikson:

I always liked the skaven…not really the high elves though.

But may i ask one question if the previous starter sets have had a storyline and lore about them…where was there a battle between the skaven and the high elves?..or will they make a battle up?

Anyway i would probabally get it…I love the look of the skaven especially the plague monks :slight_smile:

Swissdictator:

I’m not a fan of the High Elves, though I do like some of the color schemes that would work for them and how some High Elf armies look.

There is a chance a friend and I might get two sets, I’ll get the Skaven and he’ll take the High Elves. He’ll either start a High Elf army so he has a “good” army, or use them (with some conversions by me) as Dark Elves. Though I might see how they can be used for both so he can effectively have two armies a lot more easily (though some things won’t transfer easily). Plus I might buy some Skaven off a person or two depending on cost and what’s in it for them.

So in other words, I think you can see the High Elves being popular too. As with some work they probably can be used as Dark Elves. Even if they have spear guys. Just cut off the arms (assuming it’s not some pose that is impossible to cut that way) and use the Dark Elf Crossbow bits. You only need to cut off one arm, considering the two bits the Dark Elves have for crossbows.  So I think High Elf -> Dark Elf conversions will be fairly popular.

AGPO:

Well the book is available to pre-order in just over 4 days. Hopefully some pictures of the boxed set will appear at that date…