[Archive] New warmachines - base size question

Time of Madness:

With all the war machines looking similar size-wise are people planning on basing these?

The Iron Daemon will require a 75X150mm minimum. The only base that comes close to matching that size is the Arachnarok spider base at 100X150mm.

I was hoping to get all the machines based with the same base size so may end up just picking up a bunch of the spider bases.

Thoughts?

Time of Madness

Thommy H:

It looks like the Iron Daemon has no base. Remember that war machines technically don’t require bases either according to their rules, and all the carriages will presumably keep the same Unit Type.

saearath:

In 8th there is no real requirement for bases on War Machines. So If you’re keen to base them to match in with the rest of your army to look good go for it, but it is unneccessary so any arbitrary size is fine.

Time of Madness:

In 8th there is no real requirement for bases on War Machines.  So If you're keen to base them to match in with the rest of your army to look good go for it, but it is unneccessary so any arbitrary size is fine.

saearath
Ya sorry I should have mentioned I like to have them based. They match the rest of the army and give an easy reference point for units attempting to attack it.
Time of Madness

saearath:

Then I’d go Araknok sized base it gives you that little extra space for added base awesomeness, and that space I find useful to double when place counters etc to track wounds/effects.

Admiral:

Have you considered making your own war machine bases out of the current glue-it-yourself unit trays? They give you the power to base as you see fit: If some extra space is needed for counters, a little terrain or some nice details on the base, then just make it longer and/or wider. On the one hand, however, there is a problem in that the unit trays are higher than slottabases (which is fixed by filing) and also seem to have slightly steeper sides and rounder edges. On the other hand, just using modular unit trays for war machine bases would fit in with the rest of the army since all units will stand on trays anyway. Take a look at least and consider the option.

We - that is, me and some mates - found the unit trays perfect to create war machine bases. One have only to make them large enough to fit what little diorama one have in mind. They do require green stuffing and filing, as well as filling-up (with sprue pieces, cheap putty and some super glue to lock down the putty in our case), but it might be worth doing considering that deciding your own war machine base sizes will enable you to create very precisely sized bases for all the components of your land train.

Since the FW Chaos Dwarf war machines come in varying sizes, Arachnarok spider bases might prove awkward if you’re to have - say - both an Iron Daemon, a Siege Bombard and a Magma Cannon, given their different carriage sizes.

furrie:

Instead of the modulair movement trays, plasticard could be used. This is a cheaper solution and plasticard doesn’t need filling.

Admiral:

Instead of the modulair movement trays, plasticard could be used. This is a cheaper solution and plasticard doesn't need filling.

furrie
Good idea, but one'd still have to layer up and file or cut their sides into a diagonal angle if a height-uniform army basing is sought after.

wallacer:

You’d have to be careful when basing the Iron Daemon. If the other bits of the train are designed to connect to it then they would have to be positioned on their own bases in such a way that they can connect to the Iron Damon okay.

Personally i’d wait until I had all the bits of the train and only then base them so I could be sure they all connect up okay and look right on their resective bases.

That’s assuming of course that you’re planning on getting the other bits of the train.

Time of Madness:

That's assuming of course that you're planning on getting the other bits of the train.

wallacer
Or assuming I'm planning on playing with the land train rules, which i'm not.

The land train can really only be done when you start playing high point games 3000pts +. Two of the war machines have no use for the train at all (rocket launcher and dreadquake) because of the huge ranges they have.

I like to base all my war machines. So it looks like the iron daemon will be on the spider base while the rocket launchers and magma cannon will most likely go on chariot bases or screaming bell base.
Time of Madness

Thommy H:

The land train can really only be done when you start playing high point games 3000pts +.
How do you figure that? 300ish points for the Iron Daemon, then 150ish points for the carriages - most of which will be Special choices. You could easily do that in smaller games.

Time of Madness:

I suppose you are right. It can be done, but I don’t think it is worthwhile until you get up to larger point games.

If you wanted a land train with an iron daemon, rocket launcher, magma cannon and a dreadquake you are looking at over 750pts.

And again it will make no sense to land train the rocket launchers or dreadquakes because of the massive range they have.

Time of Madness

KingFisher:

The land train can really only be done when you start playing high point games 3000pts +.
How do you figure that? 300ish points for the Iron Daemon, then 150ish points for the carriages - most of which will be Special choices. You could easily do that in smaller games.

Thommy H
I think an iron daemon with 3 magma cannons moving diagonally across the board will be brutal. Combined with a stubbon unit in a tower flanked by 2 mortars, it will be hard to beat.