[Archive] Next year's GT... WOC with some cameos?

Baggronor:

Having seen the new WOC book, I would like to resurrect my Chaos Warriors. However, I also want to do more Chaos Dwarfs, and Willmark will kill me if I do another non-CD army. So, I’m thinking maybe a WOC list with a heavy CD presence.

Initially I was thinking:

Chaos Knights: Bull Centaurs

Chaos Giant: Kollossus

War Shrine: Steam powered Chaos Dwarf tank/altar with a Sorcerer.

Hellcannon: Hellcannon ofc.

Maybe a Lord on Manticore as a Taurus rider.

Sorcerer on Disc of Tzeentch: CD sorcerer on floating machine of doom…hmmm.

But the infantry is annoying me, what should I do for them? Chaos Dwarfs on big bases might look pretty odd and M4 and Ld8 will irritate me. However it won’t look right if they are Chaos Warriors, so maybe there is no alternative…? :frowning: Or maybe Black Orcs… Perhaps I should stick to Chaos Warriors and just have the Kollossus/Hellcannon as my CD ‘cameos’? It seems such a shame, as I could finally do Bull Centaurs… The lack of shooting also seems very non-CD.

What have other people done?

Thommy H:

You know, it might be better to do it like [[Grudge Bearer]] and treat it as a Marauder army with Chaos Dwarf allies. So all your Core can be Marauders, then you have all the stuff you listed as Chaos Dwarf units. You can always mix some Chaos Dwarf stuff into the Marauders as unit filler or something.

Baggronor:

Currently toying with the idea of dual Hellcannons… Its seems a bit harsh, but there just nothing else to combat big monsters effectively with. They are also Unbreakable, which is nice. Chaos Warriors just seem too expensive, with their main problems from last edition not really addressed, and Marauders just won’t kill anything (I know, I’ve tried them in the past). I would love to do a fluffy infantry horde, but it would just get bummed by everything at GT.

I think for the bulk of the army I will do them as being from the Hung Marauder tribe, as one of the initial ideas I wanted to do was a Mongol-themed WoC army (after seeing ‘Mongol’, which had Asano Tadanobu, one of my favourite actors, as Genghis Khan). The Hung territories aren’t that far from the Darklands, so its not inconceivable fluff-wise.

Thinking 3 units of Chaos Knights, deploying on the flanks with plenty of Marauder Horsemen support, 2 Hellcannons holding the centre and…erm…some other stuff…maybe some mega Tzeentch sorcerer…and Genghis Khan as a Chaos Champion… hmmm.

Auretious Taak:

But the infantry is annoying me, what should I do for them? Chaos Dwarfs on big bases might look pretty odd and M4 and Ld8 will irritate me. However it won't look right if they are Chaos Warriors, so maybe there is no alternative...? :(

Baggronor
Of course there is an alternative,a nd it is one that is right under your nose but it's so big you've missed it!

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN MOVE 4 INCHES DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO MOVE 4 INCHES!!!

Take them as Chaos Dwarves, big bases just means you can pose them in arrogant ways and address the movement issues by simply refusing to move 4 inches and always movinga maximum of 3 inches and marching/charging 6 inches. If you reach combat on an above 6 inch charge, be very characterful and insist that it is a failed charge as you only have a 6 inch charge range. At the very least you will get some awesome kudos sportsmanship awards for the idea. :)

Dual Hellcannons...ouch. Have they changed at all since the SoC supplement first came out excepting them being a single choice not two?

Auretious Taak.

snowblizz:

Dual Hellcannons...ouch. Have they changed at all since the SoC supplement first came out excepting them being a single choice not two?

Auretious Taak.

Auretious Taak
Yes, a fair bit. They are nowhere near as destructive as they were.
No "vomit attack", less strength, no re-roll for scatter and I think it lost somewhat on the statline as well. Among other things. It is also cheaper.

Baggronor:

The fact that the Hellcannon is unbreakable is rather nice considering it is a Monster and Handlers unit. If the faq rules say that it can capture objectives and quarters in the GT scenarios like the War Hydra can, then its mega. Plus it causes terror and shoots things at S10. Best thing is that its only 1 rare choice now. So, yes it hurts that it can’t re-roll anymore, but it does mean I can take 2. This means no Giant/Shaggoth but meh. Its up to the playtesting now.

While I would happily move Chaos Warriors 3" in friendly games, this is an army for the GT. Its not that I must win at all costs (why would I take Chaos Warriors if that were the case:)), its just that I know I will end up breaking that 3" restriction that I set myself.

Its looking like a moot point anyway, most of the list will likely be Mongol-style Marauder cavalry and Knights, probably with a Dragon too.

Although I could do the Knights as BCs, and the Dragon as a Great Taurus… hmmm.

Auretious Taak:

Knights as Bull centaurs, Marauder Cavalry as Hobgoblin Wolf Riders (they are already mongols to the east anyways!) and Great Taurus dragon, easy done! And if you move them 4 inches occasionally, well lets just say they all have mechanical legs or the taint of chaos pays off at times or they have awesome wine! Somehow, i just picture the Chaos Dwarfs beinga rrogant chaps with wine swishinga round not drunkard dwarfs with ale, lol, so unclassy those good cousins of ours! :smiley:

Hmmm, shiny Hellcannon.

I shall have to look at the rules sometime me thinks.

Method:

so you cant even use cd in RTTs ?

Hashut’s Blessing:

I’d suggest: have a WoC force with a CD allied force or auxiliaries etc. Have the Chaos Giant with a larger/greater/lesser daemon bound to it and in chains with CDs following (Giants get no armour save, so Kollossus seems out of place), have the War Shrine be one of Hashut for protecting the CDs and being their general, use the BCs as Knights/Marauder Horsemen, Hellcannons as is, maybe take a unit or two of DoW dwarfs modelled as CDs? Some orc slaves (weakened from pitfighting, hence the lower toughness, but higher weapon skill, initiative, leadership and lack of infighting) as marauders?

Baggronor:

Alas, GT does not allow DoW. Otherwise DoW dwarfs would have been straight in.

Concerning the Giant, if I have one it will be modelled as a Kollossus (thats kinda the whole point) as I already have a green-stuffed Chaos Giant (he would be upset if he were usurped :)).

Its looking more and more like a cavalry list with some big stuff at the mo, although doing Dark Elves is also very tempting… Hmmm decisions decisions.

Willmark:

My Jedi mind tricks are working apparently.

Warlord:

Do you guys have any ideas for custom movement trays to make 20x20 bases appear to be 25x25.

The main reason is I want my Norse Marauders and Hobgoblins to be compatible with the bigger bases for the times I may choose to play with the WoC army but with Chaos Dwarf models…

Actually Chaos Dwarf models may be something too, but like others have said, the Mv 3 vs Mv4 thing is a bit weird, and yes, I know you don’t HAVE to move that much, but there will be times when I would be too tempted I think…

cornixt:

Make a normal movement tray, then add some extra strips of card between the models, 5mm wide. You end up with a # shape.

slev:

Alternatively, fix thin rare-earth magnets underneath each of your small-based minis (all at the same polarity). Then put corresponding ones underneath some larger un-slotter square bases. You now can snap-on the larger bases at will.

Warlord:

Alternatively, fix thin rare-earth magnets underneath each of your small-based minis (all at the same polarity). Then put corresponding ones underneath some larger un-slotter square bases. You now can snap-on the larger bases at will.

slev
Thats a great idea... though how effective is it?

I was trying to steer clear of the card on the movement tray idea, mainly because I doesn't give me the depth I want on the tray. And I also don't particularly want the fiddly job of cutting them - I may have a look into some pre-sized plasticard... hmmm

slev:

I’ve never used it in this way. As long as you line the poles up correctly and use the right magnets, it will work fine. Probably best to stick them with something like Warglue though.

Willmark:

Never really thought of going it that way, that’s not a bad idea. Hopefully we get our own army book and it solves the issue.

wallacer:

If you can’t be bothered cutting the bits of card to make the grid pattern with then you could probably just use putty. Should be a lot quicker and easier. Would also have more of a “rocky” look to it, if that is what you go for on your bases.