[Archive] No Hobgoblin Army Viable?

evil smurf:

Hey everyone,

I’m new to the forums, just getting back into Warhammer, and just discovered the Chaos Dwarf Forge World line.

I just got my first shipment of IG and had a question or two.

Can this army be competitive without using hobgoblins? I don’t plan on doing tournaments where it’s WAAC nor are there many people like that in the local gaming scene. I’d like to be competitive but loses don’t get me down. From what I’ve read at this forum so far I’m not sure what the answer to this question would be.

Also, the local GW store is starting a Tamurkhan campaign which I will be participating in. The armies start at 1K and escalate by 500 every three weeks and will end at 3K.

I’d like to use the CD list from the book but I’d really like to stick with the Dwarf entries for my infantry and mix in warmachines and beasties as we go along.

What would be a good 1k starting list?

I was thinking a block of IG with Blunders, a Hero in this block, a K-Destroyer, Small unit of Bulls or K’dai to run the flank and eat characters, warmachines and archers.

Would the K-destroyer be a bit of cheese at 1k? I’m new to the local gaming group and I don’t want to come off as a power gamer.

Thanks in advance for any feedback provided.

cornixt:

Judging by everyone else’s army comments so far, HGs are expensive and not all that useful. So an army without any is not at a significant disadvantage at all.

MLP:

You won’t be able to field a kdaii destroyer until your second game as it will be over the 25% rare in a 1000pt match. Other than that I think you can be fairly competitive without hobgoblins but you will be outnumbered and struggle in some scenarios with slow dwarves.

Blunderbusses are probably best saved for larger scale games as they are most effective in large blocks 25-30 and they are very expensive. But they can cause massive damage.

But a good block of standard infernal guard are very tough along with bull centaurs. Stick in a magma cannon & iron demon for damage and you may do well!

GodHead:

I don’t see how the LoA can compete in Blood and Glory without Hobgoblins.

Where do you get standards without them? Are people taking more than 2 units of IG?

Ogre_Mage:

I don't see how the LoA can compete in Blood and Glory without Hobgoblins.

Where do you get standards without them? Are people taking more than 2 units of IG?

GodHead
In the tourny I won recently it wasn't a problem. I had a unit of 30 blunderbussers and 28 Iron Sworn. Didn't even come close to losing either, and that game I wiped him off the board by turn 4.

IG/IS have HUGE staying potential, even ogres will have a hard time dealing with them.

GodHead:

How many points do you play?

General

BSB

Unit 1

Unit 2

That’s 5 breakpoints. At 2500 points, if you lose the general it’s game over.

Ogre_Mage:

How many points do you play?

General
BSB
Unit 1
Unit 2

That's 5 breakpoints.  At 2500 points, if you lose the general it's game over.

GodHead
It was a 2250 point game, that one was against Dark Elves if I recall right, either that or Brits...

I always make sure my general has some form of save, usualy I go with the Mask of the Furnace.

nilbog:

One of the problems I see with the LoA list is that core is inefficient for its cost, and all the damage is done by special and rare choices.

This means having minimum points spent on the core slot. So, all IG could look like this:

1000pt game = 19 IG, FC (assuming a character in there, that’s a 20 model unit), 260 pts

1500pt game = 29 IG, FC, 380 pts

2000pt game = 2 lots of 20 IG, FC, 544 pts. I’m not keen on this though as blocks of 20 in a 2k game are a bit small. Maybe 30 IG and another 10 IG with fireglaives instead? (562 points)

2500pt game = 2 lots of 24 IG, FC, 640 points. Put a bsb in one unit and a sorcerer prophet with crown of command in another an you’ve got 2 stubborn blocks.

I think at 1k, you probably want a level 2 daemonsmith, a block of IG, bull centaurs and then warmachines to taste. Should cover all bases.

evil smurf:

Awesome, thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was going to use the K’daai instead of Bull Centaurs only because I can’t find a good solution for the Bull models. The K’daai can be converted from Juggers quickly. I really want all my army built and painted at each stage as there will be a vet bonus for having models complete and painted for the in-store campaign. However, if the K’daai are just not worth the points then I’ll have to figure something out for the Bull Centaurs.

For the deaemonsmith, would you recommend putting survival gear on him? I was actually thinking of running a Castellan with +1T/-1I item along with a great weapon. Does a Castellan with that type of set up not work well?

MLP:

For the deaemonsmith, would you recommend putting survival gear on him? I was actually thinking of running a Castellan with +1T/-1I item along with a great weapon. Does a Castellan with that type of set up not work well?

evil smurf
If the daemon smith is is near the war machines I wouldn't bother as he'll get a "look out sir" save anyway.

Ive liked the idea of the T6 castellan but he will only be good against low strength standard troops i think. Against elite troops with great weapons or characters he will die quick without a good armour/ward save.

Baggronor:

For the deaemonsmith, would you recommend putting survival gear on him?
Charmed Shield; +1 to his armour, 6+ parry in melee and ignores that first hit on a 2+, even if its a cannonball. All for the princely sum of 5pts. Made of win.

zhatan87:

Charmed Shield; +1 to his armour, 6+ parry in melee
No parry save with a magic shield...

Every magic shields are good for our sorcerers : enchanted for level 3/4, charmed for one daemonsmith, but also ptolos, arcanic (if in a unit) for other daemonsmiths.

evil smurf:

So I’ll end up with a Lvl 2 Daemonsmith, a block of 25 IG with FC and I think I put the Razor Banner on them, 1 Magma Cannon, 1 Shrieker and 4 K’daai.

We’ll see how that works out.

Thanks for all the input.

Bronze Bull:

From a test run the hobgoblins were not very effective but I’m a sucker for including them in the army. I like the thought of a mob of snarling, misfit greenskins with sharp knives. Hobgoblin cav was pretty effective for flanking though!

evil smurf:

I found some decent balance with this list using 1 Daemonsmith Lvl 2, 20 IG with Hailshots, 3 K’daai Fireborn, 1 Shriker and 1 Magma Cannon.

I’ll build out from there for the higher point games as the campaign goes along.