[Archive] no hobgoblins in CD mordheim list?

demi_morgana:

hello,

today I browsed CD gazette #1 and noticed mordheim army list; what worries me is lack of hobgoblins there :frowning:

do hobgoblins have some kind of own armylist? I really like the character of this nasty race and would love to see them pillaging streets of mordheim :slight_smile:

GRNDL:

I think you can still do a “counts as” model for the warband, so long as the model adequately represents whatever CD you’re using it as. I.e: Hobbo Gaoler.

I’m not familiar with the list to suggest what you could use a hobbo as though.

Xander:

The Border Town Burning Chaos Dwarf list contains informants, which can be hobgoblins.

demi_morgana:

but there’s no pure hobgoblin list, correct?

bunch of such evil creatures surely deserves for own armylist! :idea

Hobgoblyn:

Yeah, when you are talking about something as small as Mordheim, Hobgoblins should have their own list. So… make it! ^o^

demi_morgana:

don’t provoke me :slight_smile:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Hobgoblyn:

I’d help you make one if I knew a thing about Mordenheim. I’m back to working on my pure Hobgoblin army list. Would it be possible to make a Mordenheim list from that?

The only tricky thing is that Hobgoblins like to be cavarly in general (except for the petty warriors, archers and sneaky gitz) and I don’t thim Mordenheim supports cavarly

cornixt:

Use them as Goblins?

Thommy H:

None of the rules are official anyway - write your own Hobgoblin list.

Hobgoblyn:

You’d probably need the follow

1) Hobgoblin Khan/Boss (required leader, able to get heavy armor and glaive in addition to below equipment for warriors, may ride a wolf)

2) Hobgoblin Sorcerer (so that they have access to magic, give him the Shadow or Beast lore)

3) Thief (special additional hero, upgraded Sneaky Git, maybe able to pick up items from enemies it kills if that would not signifigantly break the game)

4) Standard Hobgoblin Warriors (main force, able to equip dagger, spears, dao swords, jian swords, 2-handed weapons, bows, light armor, shield, helmet)

6) 0-7 Sneaky Gitz (some kind of rogue ability, able to equip daggers, poison and throwing daggers, but nothing else-- may have a dodge save or hide ability)

7) 0-5 Hobhounds (like wolves/hounds with +1S, -1I, -1Ld- no equipment options)

8) 0-3 Wolf Riders (able to equip the same equipment as the standard warrior but mounted on a standard wolf)

Give them the Animosity rules of Orcs & Goblins with perhaps changing the bonus charge to something like +1 to hit on melee and ranged attacks in order to convey a more shooty and more flanky rather than direct-charge approach to combat.

Make their stats identical to humans with -1Ld and their costs 10% less than human’s cost for the same statline, but equipment costs would be identical. Hobhound costs would be identical to wolf costs and the wolfriders would make you pay for the combined price of a wolf and a hobgoblin warrior plus an extra 20%.

And there you go… Hobgoblin Mordheim list.

Thane Godri GoblinSlayer:

I am working on a hobgoblin armylist which I hope I can make into my own unofficial armybook. I posted it a few months ago, and most of you probably think I’ve quite it, but i have been working on it. :cheers

snowblizz:

You'd probably need the follow
1) Hobgoblin Khan/Boss (required leader, able to get heavy armor and glaive in addition to below equipment for warriors, may ride a wolf)
2) Hobgoblin Sorcerer (so that they have access to magic, give him the Shadow or Beast lore)
3) Thief (special additional hero, upgraded Sneaky Git, maybe able to pick up items from enemies it kills if that would not signifigantly break the game)
4) Standard Hobgoblin Warriors (main force, able to equip dagger, spears, dao swords, jian swords, 2-handed weapons, bows, light armor, shield, helmet)
6) 0-7 Sneaky Gitz (some kind of rogue ability, able to equip daggers, poison and throwing daggers, but nothing else-- may have a dodge save or hide ability)
7) 0-5 Hobhounds (like wolves/hounds with +1S, -1I, -1Ld- no equipment options)
8) 0-3 Wolf Riders (able to equip the same equipment as the standard warrior but mounted on a standard wolf)

Give them the Animosity rules of Orcs & Goblins with perhaps changing the bonus charge to something like +1 to hit on melee and ranged attacks in order to convey a more shooty and more flanky rather than direct-charge approach to combat.
Make their stats identical to humans with -1Ld and their costs 10% less than human's cost for the same statline, but equipment costs would be identical. Hobhound costs would be identical to wolf costs and the wolfriders would make you pay for the combined price of a wolf and a hobgoblin warrior plus an extra 20%.

And there you go... Hobgoblin Mordheim list.

Hobgoblyn
Cavalry doesn't work in Mordheim at all. They can't enter buildings (ruins). There's few mounted models.
However most list have a big monster option, maybe it isn't such a silly idea to enable those 0-3 wolf riders and since they are skilled steppe horsemen they could move around in buildings, but maybe not up into them.
I'd leave the hounds out though.
Maybe Sneaky Gitz should be a hero option? They'd probably be fairly effective in a place like Mordheim.

Hobgoblyn:

Cavalry doesn't work in Mordheim at all. They can't enter buildings (ruins). There's few mounted models.
However most list have a big monster option, maybe it isn't such a silly idea to enable those 0-3 wolf riders and since they are skilled steppe horsemen they could move around in buildings, but maybe not up into them.
I'd leave the hounds out though.
Maybe Sneaky Gitz should be a hero option? They'd probably be fairly effective in a place like Mordheim.

snowblizz
Okay, drop the boss's ability to be mounted. One can assume he leaves his mount outside the battlefield to guard their camp or something.
The mounted models could be dropped to 0-2 and have them count as the army's "big monsters". I have to imagine that Trolls and Ogres have trouble entering buildings or going up staircases too.

Would Hobhounds really not work out? They would be fluffy and make the group unique. And unlike horseriders or raptor riders or whatever, an unencumbered hyena wouldn't have any trouble entering buildings or going up steps.

demi_morgana:

woah! I didn’t expect such a floor of replies! :hat off

anyway I imagine morheim hobgoblins a bit different than plain-raiders:

I think hobhoblins assililated extremly well with depraved mordheim outlaws society so they are mostly thieves, backstabbers and murderers (not enough sophisticated to be “classic” assassins of course); they spent most time drinking booze, doing some forbidden drugs and robbing money to continue the party :h

therefore imo there should be no wolves in mordheim hob-list :slight_smile:

the gang could be made of criminals, for example the boss is veteran murderer, extremly dangerous with prize established for his head while “footsoliders” could be just hob-thieves and hob-pickpockets…

these are just the basic ideas but I think video tutorial about converting hobgoblins will be more than useful for creating such gang! :idea

Hobgoblyn:

Well, if you throw out wolfs and hobhounds and you bounce the rogues/sneaky gitz to heroes…

You have nothing left. That’s the entire range of Hobgoblin tactics out the window. All you have left is warriors who can be equipped with melee or bows. Makes for a rather dull army list.

demi_morgana:

yeah, but only at this stage!

I bet some new units (which fit hob-bandits) can be made up :slight_smile:

snowblizz:

Don’t know how much of Mordheim you all know. I’m not an expert, played it some when it came out 10 years ago. Whoa, time does fly!

Basic template for warbands:

Leader.

Magic-user “hero” option.

Hero options.

Hero-in training. (less stats than regular warriors but can advance)

Usually up to 4 heroes 2 “major”, 2 “minor”

Warriors. usually split into range capable and melee capable.

Special warriors. (Something race-unique)

Sub-standard warriors. (e.g. goblins, warhounds) cannot advance at all

Race options/ big monster (ogre, troll, etc).

Not all contain all of these.

As to cavalry and “monsters” most if not all the monsters are “humanoid”. 2 legs, 2 arms and can thus climb ladders. Cavalry (granted they did not consider wolves I’m sure) can not climb ladders in the same way and are probably unwieldy in ruins anyway. Though I could see Hobgob cavalry slinking around the groundfloors and pathways around ruins. They’d be very good “in the open” but not be able to attack the enemies higher up. (Why do I get the image of them circling a house/ruin firing bows at the enemy as warriors on foot do the legwork to get at the enemy…) Which isn’t bad because fast and hard hitting cav would be a pain in such small games.

Khan 1

Shaman 0-1

Sneaky Gitz 0-3

Sons of Khans (dunno what “hero in training” Hobgobs would have) 0-2

Hobgoblin archers

Hobgoblins warriors

Steppe raiders (bows and wolves, options for spears and stuff)

Having had a look at the rules for mounted models, they can actually dismount so maybe this is more Hobgoblike?

Khan mounted 1

Shaman 0-1

Steppe raiders mounted 0-3 (heroes)

Nobles-in-training 0-2

Hobgoblin archers

Hobgoblin warriors

Sneaky Gitz 0-5

And whenever the Hobgobs dismount they get a wolf to follow them around with a profile that can be killed and must then be replaced.

Considering a horde is only up to 20 models max this should be enough options.

Fallen246:

The ability to make this list is possible. In fact, the ability to make a completely mounted list is also possible.

The empire outriders list is a prime example (and the only example) of this, so having an alternately aligned warband list would be sufficient.

Having a fair bit of Mordheim experience myself (the game that got me into warhammer and 40k) any balance testing/rule advice/etc. I can help with if necessary.

(If I may suggest, as many hobgobs are DOW having many hired sword options is totally understandable)