[Archive] Not a good day to be a chaos dwarf

ross_lionheart:

Played my first game of age of sigmar at one thousand points against ironjaws and I was slaughtered. So much so that I actually feel like throwing in the towel with my chaos dwarfs because I don’t believe that they have a chance against such a list…I felt my list was quite balanced.

My list:

Bull Centuar Taur’uk @ 180 Points

w/ Darkforge Great Weapon

General

Daemonsmith @ 100 Points

w/ Darkforge Weapons

20 Infernal Guard Fireglaves @ 200 Points

w/ FCMD

2x3 Bull Centaur Renders @ 320 Points

w/ Scalding Great Weapons

6 k’daai Fireborn @ 200 Points

Total:  1000

My opponents list was as follows, according to warscroll builder his list is 1240 however he claims it was under 1000 points.

Leaders

Orruk Megaboss (140)

Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)

Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units

Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)

- Ironjawz Battleline

Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)

- Ironjawz Battleline

Orruk Gore Gruntas x 3 (180)

- Ironjawz Battleline

Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)

- Ironjawz Battleline

Behemoths

Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

My forces literally bounced off his inflicting little or no damage. The kaddi fireborn did literally nothing to the orc brutes, who at this point were dishing out 6 attacks each for being within range of the orc megaboss. With -1 ren and the boss was inflicting multiple wounds. My 3 centaurs were unable to withstand the charge of a giant and my tauruk collapsed under the pressure from the gore gruntas with the remaining 2 bull centaurs.

Oh did I mention the orc megaboss was actually re-gaining wounds and my unit of 20 fireglaves couldn’t even withstand a few rounds of combat against a unit of 5 brutes? Seriously whats the point in playing against such a list where their basic troops have 3 wounds, 6 attacks each at -1 ren and inflict multiple wounds? I’d seriously like some advice before I walk away from aos…

sam585:

Played my first game of age of sigmar at one thousand points against ironjaws and I was slaughtered.  So much so that I actually feel like throwing in the towel with my chaos dwarfs because I don't believe that they have a chance against such a list...I felt my list was quite balanced.

My list:
Bull Centuar Taur'uk @ 180 Points
General

Daemonsmith @ 100 Points
w/ Darkforge Weapons

w/ FCMD

6 k'daai Fireborn @ 200 Points

My opponents list was as follows, according to warscroll builder his list is 1240 however he claims it was under 1000 points.

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

My forces literally bounced off his inflicting little or no damage.  The kaddi fireborn did literally nothing to the orc brutes, who at this point were dishing out 6 attacks each for being within range of the orc megaboss.  With -1 ren and the boss was inflicting multiple wounds.  My 3 centaurs were unable to withstand the charge of a giant and my tauruk collapsed under the pressure from the gore gruntas with the remaining 2 bull centaurs.  

Oh did I mention the orc megaboss was actually re-gaining wounds and my unit of 20 fireglaves couldn't even withstand a few rounds of combat against a unit of  5 brutes?  Seriously whats the point in playing against such a list where their basic troops have 3 wounds, 6 attacks each at -1 ren and inflict multiple wounds?  I'd seriously like some advice before I walk away from aos..

ross_lionheart
Warmachines
Slave giant
Block with infernal guard sword+board
Shoot with infernal guard with fireglaives at heroes first

Centaurs not that good.
Kdaii not that good.
Taur ruk is not that great either since you want to have the blackshard warhost formation.

ross_lionheart:

Played my first game of age of sigmar at one thousand points against ironjaws and I was slaughtered.  So much so that I actually feel like throwing in the towel with my chaos dwarfs because I don't believe that they have a chance against such a list...I felt my list was quite balanced.

My list:
General

Daemonsmith @ 100 Points
w/ Darkforge Weapons

w/ FCMD

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

My forces literally bounced off his inflicting little or no damage.  The kaddi fireborn did literally nothing to the orc brutes, who at this point were dishing out 6 attacks each for being within range of the orc megaboss.  With -1 ren and the boss was inflicting multiple wounds.  My 3 centaurs were unable to withstand the charge of a giant and my tauruk collapsed under the pressure from the gore gruntas with the remaining 2 bull centaurs.  

Oh did I mention the orc megaboss was actually re-gaining wounds and my unit of 20 fireglaves couldn't even withstand a few rounds of combat against a unit of  5 brutes?  Seriously whats the point in playing against such a list where their basic troops have 3 wounds, 6 attacks each at -1 ren and inflict multiple wounds?  I'd seriously like some advice before I walk away from aos..

ross_lionheart
Warmachines
Slave giant

Centaurs not that good.
Kdaii not that good.
Taur ruk is not that great either since you want to have the blackshard warhost formation.

sam585
I doubt that even with such a formation I'd beabless to withstando the attack, rent and multiple wounding output for long..Is there anything we can use from chaos that might help?

sam585:

My list:
General

Daemonsmith @ 100 Points
w/ Darkforge Weapons

w/ FCMD

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

ross_lionheart
Warmachines
Slave giant

Centaurs not that good.
Kdaii not that good.

sam585
I doubt that even with such a formation I'd beabless to withstando the attack, rent and multiple wounding output for long..Is there anything we can use from chaos that might help?

ross_lionheart
Also your opponent cheated you he has like 1.2k points or more.
20 flintlocks is good against ironjawz at 1k level. You should be throwing out in the ball park 7ish to 10 wounds per shooting phase. You just need to screen them with ironsworn.

Soelmething like
Warhost
Castellen
Bsb
Demonsmith
20 flintlocks
20 ironswon
1 slave giant

That should honestly work really well.

ross_lionheart:

My list:
General

Daemonsmith @ 100 Points
w/ Darkforge Weapons

w/ FCMD

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

ross_lionheart
Warmachines
Slave giant

Centaurs not that good.
Kdaii not that good.

sam585

ross_lionheart
20 flintlocks is good against ironjawz at 1k level. You should be throwing out in the ball park 7ish to 10 wounds per shooting phase. You just need to screen them with ironsworn.

Soelmething like
Warhost
Castellen
Bsb
Demonsmith
20 flintlocks
20 ironswon
1 slave giant

sam585
What are flintlocks?.I've never heArd of themy before?

sam585:

My list:
General

Daemonsmith @ 100 Points
w/ Darkforge Weapons

w/ FCMD

Leaders
Orruk Megaboss (140)
Orruk Warchanter (80)

Units
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline
- Ironjawz Battleline
Orruk Brutes x 5 (180)
- Ironjawz Battleline

Behemoths
Aleguzzler Gargant (180)

ross_lionheart
Warmachines
Slave giant

Centaurs not that good.
Kdaii not that good.

sam585

ross_lionheart

Soelmething like
Warhost
Castellen
Bsb
Demonsmith
20 flintlocks
20 ironswon
1 slave giant

sam585
What are flintlocks?.I've never heArd of themy before?

ross_lionheart
The ones with guns, fireglaives, sorry.

Thommy H:

Your opponent also didn’t have any battleline units - Brutes are only battleline in an army that has Ironjawz allegiance, and the presence of that Aleguzzler means it doesn’t.

ross_lionheart:

Your opponent also didn't have any battleline units - Brutes are only battleline in an army that has Ironjawz allegiance, and the presence of that Aleguzzler means it doesn't.

Thommy H
What would you suggest against an orc list like this? The guy I was facing was a GW employes so I assumed he would be honest..

Thommy H:

I’d address the issue with his cheating first - his army is worth more points than he said and isn’t legal anyway.

Timothy Archer:

20 ironsworn to protect your artillery

flame cannon or ( and ) great taurus ( 6 belch fire attacks + fly )

20 fireglaives

at least one deathshrieker rocket launcher

and 6 bullcentaurs with tauruk as general !

chaos dwarf are incredible

not the strongest army but so many possible synergy…

Kaleb Daark:

I have to agreewith Timothy and Tommy, that army was bent as hell if playing matched play. Also, at 1000pts don’t take anything fancy, every point is precious.

Chaos allegiance with a castellan as your general - crown of command and Lord of War Rite

BSB

fireglaives and ironsworn.

Deathshriekers are your snipers - I use them to assasinate characters as you don’t need line of sight.

The gargant should have crumbled under the fireglaives who should have had double shot on it as it was a monster.

Centaurs are way to fragile to go headlong into anything, as they MUSt get the charge in, and be sure of mopping up quickly.

Use the elite stuff to rip chaff and feeble stuff apart, use the dwarfs to tear apart elite stuff.

Always carry extra artillery with you as at least if he pulls that stunt again you can proxy more artillery.

If you want to use Kdaai don’t get them any closer than 3" - they can still hit, most stuff can’t and their burning body rule still works dishing out free mortal wounds. - find out what doesn’t have rend as their save goes to 3+ vs these and then just harass them.

Black_Fortress_Immortal:

Sorry for your luck - also the points do not match up! :mad

A few things I’ve learned from winning and losing as Chaos Dwarfs in AoS:

1. Take Battalions.  We miss out on a lot of synergies that other armies can stack up, so we have to go for all of the bonuses we get.

2. Deployment/Setup.
When expecting a fast army like Ironjawz, it’s good to stagger your mainline of Ironsworn to absorb the hit so that when they pile in, your line doesn’t have too many gaps in it.

3. Command ability.
  The Castellan’s Martial Contempt will allow your Fireglaives to trigger on 5’s, and Lord of War for +1 to hit rolls (general handbook), can turn your ordinary riflemen to 20 shots that hit on 3+ (rerolling 1’s Battalion bonus), wound on 3+ (rerolling 1’s if Battle Standard Bearer vs. Order/Destruction) with 5s/6s doing double damage at -1 rend.  Double shots against monsters is great.

A few tips!:

-Don’t move Fireglaives if able.  This allows you to benefit from the reroll 1’s on the Battalion bonus - all of the infantry only get 1 hit, so maximizing this is vital.

-Keep a small unit of ironsworn and one of your Iron Daemons or other sticky unit to run at objectives (with battalion an Iron Daemon runs 3d6+1"…).  

-Drazhoath is very mobile… find out where their key heroes/casters are and fly in with the 15" move and aim for a charge.  Keep him back, casting, and well guarded until you’re ready for the kill!

Goodluck and don’t give up!

ross_lionheart:

This is my revised 1k chaos dwarf list. All input welcome �Y~?

Allegiance: Chaos

Heroes

Daemonsmith (100)

- General

- Darkforged Weapon

- Trait: Lord of War

- Artefact: Crown of Conquest

Bull Centaur Taur’uk (180)

- Darkforged Great Weapon

- Artefact: Crown of Conquest

Battleline

3 x Bull Centaur Renders (160)

- Scalding Great Weapon

- Battleline (Legion of Azgorh)

20 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (200)

10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)

War Machines

Deathshrieker (120)

Total: 960/1000

Roark:

You should combine the fireglaives. Always pack them in units of 20 or more so that you keep the “Bring Down the Beast!” rule and bonuses for as long as possible.

Also, you can afford a Magma cannon instead of a Deathshrieker. A single Deathshrieker isn’t going to do much, but a single Magma cannon will (with Daemonsmith help).