[Archive] Ogres Dogs of War

Zaramuskharaz:

Ahoy lads and lasses!

My next buy to my ever growing collection (that is, once i paint up my CDs from the good old BFSP box:hat) gonna be a Ogre Kingdons Battalion (I love the big-fatties… When I think about them, i just start droolling…;P), so to represent the Ironskin Tribe, with our big fellow Ghark Ironskin:hat off.

So, Leadbelchers are on the way (love them :idea- KABOOOOMM - har har har…), and Ironguts too, probably gonna convert some bulls into Ironguts, so to mix with my Dogs of War - Chaos Dwarfs Army. Fluff wise, my CD lord is one of those who actually negociate personally with the Tyrant.

So, any tactics idea, fellows? I’m thinking in a gunline (Leads, Busses, Shakers…:o), with hobbos archer wolfriders to distract or even aim for some holes on the enemy’s armour! Some warriors to hold the line… a sorceror…:smiley:

So, talking about 2000-2500 points, what can you guys advise me? I probably be fighting Empire, High Elves (cursed be their names!), Lizzies or Dwarfs…

Thanks!

Lord_Nagash:

Well, being an Ogre Kingdoms player, I can tell you this. While LB’s are nice, don’t waste a rare slot as DoW of them. Their range sucks, they can’t march and shoot and they have to stay put a whole round or flee and rally to reload. You MIGHT get 2 rounds of shooting out of them.

Ironguts are awesome so they are a good solid choice. Don’t give them any command though. Save the points. If you are going to use your 2 rare slots on DoW, use the IG.

Alternatively, you could use a unit of 3 Maneaters with brace of handguns. They are stubborn, use the handguns as pistols, ie no penalties for moving and shooting and counts as an extra weapon in combat (always nice). However, they take up 2 rare slots.

Hope that helps you out.

Merchant:

Alternatively, you could use a unit of 3 Maneaters with brace of handguns.  They are stubborn, use the handguns as pistols, ie no penalties for moving and shooting and counts as an extra weapon in combat (always nice).  However, they take up 2 rare slots.

Lord_Nagash
I agree with Lord_Nagash, you cannot go wrong with Maneaters - in my CD army I have a unit of 5 Maneaters, all have Brace of Hanguns :)

Servius:

I think Leadbelchers are worth it but are rather risky… Personally they are cheap for what you get… Really the cannons are not there for real shooting they are there for a stand and shoot response which will next to always produce a panic test in the charging unit. I run a unit of 3 with champion in my current list for CD and I love them. I usually will vaporize a unit of small heavy cav with them… I mean… you can expect getting 12 to 16 hits the first time you fire them pending you dont roll misfires. which are basically handguns

Also Lord Nagash… NOTHING except for fast cavalry can March and Shoot… Move and shoot yes… but March NO.

Merchant… you forgot the best quote…

“How about a Magic Trick? I’m gonna make this pencil disappear… TAADAA! It’ss GONE!”

Lord_Nagash:

Also Lord Nagash.. NOTHING except for fast cavalry can March and Shoot.. Move and shoot yes.. but March NO.
This is correct. I was just stating it for completeness. Leadbelchers are a good unit. I use 3 units of 2 in my list with a bellower in each one so that I can have some shooting. Ogres really lack this.

I personally wouldn't use them as DoW for any army, that is all I was saying. I would rather have the dependability of the IG or ME.

Servius:

Did you really just use the word “Dependability” when referring to an Ogre unit? Really… That is about the most flagrant unrepresentative adjective I have heard applied to something since "I’m Gonna Git You Sucka!"

On a more serious note… Ogres far from hit hard enough as they are to be a viable Dogs of War choice with the exception of Maneaters… and they are 2 rare choices in a Chaos Dwarf Army! they are also a HUGE points sink for a rather easily dealt with unit on the board being as most of the rest of the army is half as fast. I will say that the only reason I would consider Maneaters is for the Brace. The Stand and shoot is what makes the unit truly viable in my mind. If given the choice between 3 Leadbelchers and 3 Ironguts… I’m taking the Leadbelchers… They have a greater kill potential with their stand and shoot than the Ironguts do with their paltry 3 impact hits.

Ogres had one problem from the get go. They are a New Idea… All the other armies have had some bit of revision and tweaks to make them far more viable from their predecessors. Ogres just don’t have that boon as yet.

Lord_Nagash:

Did you really just use the word "Dependability" when referring to an Ogre unit? Really.. That is about the most flagrant unrepresentative adjective I have heard applied to something since "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka!"
I sure did. This is why. IG am ME are both Ld 8. The ME are stubborn on it. IG have great weapons and heavy armor. They can take a little more stuff coming their way than LB can. The LB have potential to do great harm, but just that, potential. With a 12" range on their shooting and the scattershot nature of it, plus the fact they have to stay still an entire turn or rally from fleeing to re-load, why wouldn't anyone shoot them from a distance out of harms way. Now if the LB cannons had a 24" range, I would take them in a heart beat, no questions asked.

BTW, Maneaters take up 2 rare slots as DoW for ANY army.

Da Crusha:

wait, can you even field ogre units in a chaos dwarf army? I was thinking no because, I believe it says that the ogre units can be used as dogs of war choices in armies that allow them, and last time I checked chaos dwarves couldnt have dogs of war choices.

jolpis:

ogres can be used in all armies:cheers

i think ogres can be a real asset to your army, the M length gives you a fast hard hitter, htey also work as bullet magnets :frowning: but i dont think its that bad, if you mange to get them into close combat they can be a real asset