[Archive] Okay, this is quite different

Thommy H:

Yes, the original names for my Knights of the Realm units were “Knights of the Girdle” (or garter…) and “Knights of the Veil”, representing ladies’ favours given to them and some historic/mythological names for knights in our own world. Since then though I’ve changed them to “Knights of the Boar” and “Knights of the Stag” to correspond with their banners/champions, along with the newer “Knights of the Bull”.

I imagine some of the names will sound weird, Minos! Firstly, there’s the mistranslations, which I appreciate you pointing out and whcih I’ll correct next time I use them (the masculine and feminine stuff, for example), but some of the other things are sort of English in-jokes. Rather like how Dog Latin is a Latin-sounding gibberish that English people can sort of make sense of, this army appears to converse in “Dog French” (Francais Chien?), which is really what I take Bretonnian to be. Hence “Les Grands Non Lavés”, which I’m absolutely certain makes no real sense in French, but which English people can interpret and so get the joke. I knew right from the outset that it wasn’t real French and made no attempt to get it precisely right.

I’m sure that’s really frustrating for a Frenchman though…