[Archive] Old Chaos Dwarfs for Fire Glaves?

Groznit Goregut:

Hi All,

So, I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a unit with Fire Glaves. I’m not going to buy Warhammer Forge minis as I just can’t afford it. I do have a number of the old, static Chaos Dwarfs with the big axes. The tall hats. Those axes are kind of big and on long poles. They can count as hand weapon or Great Weapon. What about turning that into a Fire Glave?

I figure I could cut the spear point off the top and maybe cut the bottom part off and use a hand gun for the bottom.

Does anyone think that would work? Anyone else have other ideas?

Bolg:

My idea was: take the old CD’s with plastic crossbows, dont give them a crossbow but a handgun of some sort and ad a blade to that. I already have 4 of those models from ebay. its possible but I do have to cut some hands of.

Ghrask Dragh:

Check out twisted tales
Good olde Kees Headblast is more than pretty cool. If you want a big unit it’ll cost close to the fireglaves though :frowning:

Crossbowmen on ebay is a good shout. You could use a website like Bitzbox to order a load of crossbows and convert your existing mini’s?

Olde skool bazooka teams are good unit fillers too so you don’t have to get all the mini’s you need ina unit.

So…
Twisted tales
eBay
Unit Fillers
Bitz to convert the dwarfs you have now.

Have Mantic done any gunners?
Oh Yes!!!

Groznit Goregut:

So, no one things the old big hat axe dwarfs wouldn’t work? I like the big axe head as a glave and the shaft might be turned into a hand gun. I’ve got some of these and think it is the most affordable option for me. Just not fully sure if it can work.

chrixter:

So, no one things the old big hat axe dwarfs wouldn't work?  I like the big axe head as a glave and the shaft might be turned into a hand gun.  I've got some of these and think it is the most affordable option for me.  Just not fully sure if it can work.

Groznit Goregut
Doesn't the Old plastic dwarfs sell for more on ebay than the new forgewold figs?

Groznit Goregut:

The Forge World minis are $5.70 per mini, which is insanely high to me. I’ll never buy them.

I looked on ebay and could only find the dealers with significantly marked up the old plastics to $9 each. I wouldn’t pay those prices either!

I do have some of the older dwarfs, though, and can easily convert them up to have fire glaves. I’m not sure if it’s valid, though, as I’ve never really messed with the old ones before.

I am going to get some of the Mantic ones, though. They look great and are affordable…

nilbog:

I’ve taken some dwarf handgunners and stuck the top half of a dark elf spear on the end…it’s more of a bayonet type thing, though. I keep meaning to post up some photos in my blog, I’ll try to do it soon.

cornixt:

Converting the old big hats is just going to be a lot of work to make it look good. Dwarf handgunners with a blade of some kind is probably the best way to go.

Borador:

Ah no one cares about big hat converting, converting 3rd eds, now THAT’S blasphemy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Imo your idea sounds good but I’d try making a digital image of that before actually cutting anything up. Unlike what I stated above, which was obviously a joke, I fibd that even big hats are a shame to cut up, if you are not sure if the outcome.

Ghrask Dragh:

I am going to get some of the Mantic ones, though. They look great and are affordable....

Groznit
Yeah those guys are really great, would love to paint some of those

:hat off to Mantic!!

Groznit Goregut:

I finally got a chance to look at the old Chaos Dwarfs. It would not be hard at all to swap the bottom of the axe handle for a hand gunner stock (from Empire) and put the little barrel on the top of the axe (after cutting the ball off). I think that’s what I’ll be doing for Fire Glaves…if I go for them.

Groznit Goregut:

OK…so I finally found a few minutes when I could snap a picture and then cut/paste the image of a hand gun onto the big ax. Now, it’s not perfect as I can only do so much in MS Paint. The angle of the weapon to the body isn’t right. Still, it’s close enough to work, I think:

Let me know what you think. Fire Glave enough? I would probably need to make some masks for the faces, though.

tjub:

OK....so I finally found a few minutes when I could snap a picture and then cut/paste the image of a hand gun onto the big ax.  Now, it's not perfect as I can only do so much in MS Paint.  The angle of the weapon to the body isn't right.  Still, it's close enough to work, I think:

Let me know what you think.  Fire Glave enough?  I would probably need to make some masks for the faces, though.

Groznit Goregut
It could work, but Ive not read into the fluff behind them at all so cant really say...