[Archive] Old GW Paints

Mivrash Faz:

Hey All,

Quick question. What do you guys use to thin GW paints? My ancient pots of Tin Bitz have kind of dried out; not chalky but somewhat slimey:sick

Any luck with bringing back these semi dry paints to serviceable levels?

Also, IIRC, doesn’t P3 replicate the old GW paint colours? If they do infact produce the same colours but under a different guise, does anyone know what would their equivalent to Tin Bitz would be?

Cheers

Bloodbeard:

Hey All,

Quick question. What do you guys use to thin GW paints? My ancient pots of Tin Bitz have kind of dried out; not chalky but somewhat slimey:sick
Any luck with bringing back these semi dry paints to serviceable levels?
Also, IIRC, doesn't P3 replicate the old GW paint colours? If they do infact produce the same colours but under a different guise, does anyone know what would their equivalent to Tin Bitz would be?

Cheers

Mivrash Faz
I add water to the regularly. And I've put rust free 5mm steel nuts (like bolts and nuts)
In all my paints. Let me shake them better and makes mixing with water easier. I reallydry you might need to stir a bit.

I only buy foundation/base paints and wash from GW. Everything else is vallejo and armypainter. Much better, no dry out, more millilitres, cheaper.

Abecedar:

In years gone by I saved lots of old pots of paint by just adding water a bit at a time and stirring it in. Cleaning the lid joining surfaces to make a better seal helpls too.

torn:

I have a pot of hawk turquoise that is 23yrs old and still good, yet i have a pot of whatever skull white is now, less than a yr and drying up slightly already. I have no idea what makes the difference but as bloodbeard does I use gw for special pants and vallejo etc for normal colours.

TheHoodedMan:

I have a pot of hawk turquoise that is 23yrs old and still good, yet i have a pot of whatever skull white is now, less than a yr and drying up slightly already. I have no idea what makes the difference but as bloodbeard does I use gw for special pants and vallejo etc for normal colours.

torn
Hawk turquoise will probably still be "good" in the next 23 years as well. Suppose it is made of caesium or something similar ;).

Ben Saunders:

I just use water to thin my paints, but not sure it will work so well with metallics (which I generally don’t thin).

Also, IIRC, doesn’t P3 replicate the old GW paint colours? If they do infact produce the same colours but under a different guise, does anyone know what would their equivalent to Tin Bitz would be?

Mivrash Faz
You may be thinking of Coat d’Arms which, apparently, are just older GW paints with new labels (though I think they’re now the range before the one before the current range).

Mivrash Faz:

Thank you all for your input:hat off This tendency to quickly dry out is why I switched to vallejo years ago. I was recently at my parent’s place doing some work in the basement and I found 10 of my old Testors paints, the little rectangular bottles, only 3 had dried out. These are 30+ years old. I even have a couple of tins of Humbrol of the same vintage, and some jars of 25+ year Tamiya paint that are fine and I still use. My conspiracy theory side tells me that the use of inferior paint pots is intentionally done by GW to flog more paints.

Unfortunately, I really like the look of tin bitz. I’ll try some Tamiya thinner. This stuff is pretty strong and hopefully it will liquify the paint enough for me to dry brush my IG. I’ve had some difficulty tracking down the game colour range over the years. My LHS carries the regular model colour and modelair ranges.

Bloodbeard:

Tin bitz

Mivrash Faz
I find the difference between tin bitz and warplock bronze minimal to none existent.

Mivrash Faz:

Tin bitz

Mivrash Faz
I find the difference between tin bitz and warplock bronze minimal to none existent.

Bloodbeard
Really? That's good news. I have been keeping away from GW paints for a long time, infact the only new paints I've purchased are Seraphim Sepia (which I really like) a yellow base (don't remember the name), and a copper/bronze corrosion colour. I might have to make a trip to my local GW shop if I can't revivify my old tin bitz. Thanks for the heads up.:cheers

Mivrash Faz:

It would seem that Vallejo Airbrush thinnner is also good at bringing back semi dry gw paints. I put in a few drops into one of my old tin bitz jars and huzzah! the paint is liquid again. I can certainly use it to do CD army given the small amount I will actually need.::slight_smile: