[Archive] One of the Best songs ever!

Willmark:

From the lyrical perspective one of the best songs ever, people have been debating its full mean for 40 years and Don McClean has never fully commented on all (most of) the lyrics.

Awesome performance too.

two_heads_talking:

I haven’t heard the full version of that song in ages…

Too much now, it seems people want to be outrageous with their music, and scream/gutteral or primal screams/ to speak of beating ho’s and killing bros… It’s nice to be reminded of a time where lyrics and barding were the music and not the bling or looks of a person…

Ever wonder if Janice Joplin (not exactly a pretty person) would ever get a chance to sing now?? I think she’d get passed over faster than dropping molten lead…

Kera foehunter:

yea it was a diffrent time

but to lose buddy Hollie the big bopper would tend to make you think they day the music died

since it was not due to drugs or boze

snowblizz:

Ever wonder if Janice Joplin (not exactly a pretty person) would ever get a chance to sing now??  I think she'd get passed over faster than dropping molten lead..

two_heads_talking
Reminds me of one time I saw American Idol try outs (yes I've watched a few times due to abysmal tv schedules) and there was a woman who could be described as fairly large. Not as grossly obese as some people (I'm looking at you Americans) but still a fairly stout person and Simon Cowell, I think it was, told her something like "I'm going to vote you through based on your ability to sing, but your looks would probably be a problem in the current 'music' environment". Sad but true.

GRNDL:

I think the Killdozer cover was a lot better. Also, this song is forever linked to my extreme phobia of skiing/snowboarding.

dedwrekka:

I haven't  heard the full version of that song in ages..  

Too much now, it seems people want to be outrageous with their music, and scream/gutteral or primal screams/ to speak of beating ho's and killing bros....  It's nice to be reminded of a time where lyrics and barding were the music and not the bling or looks of a person..

two_heads_talking
Nah, if you listen to some good rap (yes, it exists) there's a lot of the visuals and aspects of older 60s-70s music in there. I think you seem to be picking and choosing some of the more outragous choices.

Sure Dethklok, Amon Amarth, or Five Finger Death Punch may use a lot of gutterals, but that's the genre they play to. I wouldn't expect them to do less than I would expect to hear Ensiferum in an opera.

Of course, if you look at a group like Opeth, you get a mix of things, very calm and mellow music with a guttural change in the tone, similar to how some classical composers would throw in loud drums to break long classical compositions (also to wake up the audience, no BS).

But, you must realize that the roots of that music started long ago, even before the 60s. However, you can still find it in the 60s and 70s, even by popular groups: Heart, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, ect ect.
Ever wonder if Janice Joplin (not exactly a pretty person) would ever get a chance to sing now??  I think she'd get passed over faster than dropping molten lead..
Have you seen some of the more famous singers?
Sure the skinny (but not too skinny) look is in now (Of course, it was "in" going back all the way to the 30s), and pop stars and some of the more pretty people get put on a pedestal by media coverage, but every time I see a picture or video of Snoop Dog, Rob Zombie, Marylin Manson, Shane McGowan (Hell anyone from the Pogues) or Dave King I realize that not everyone is exactly mister goody two shoes in the looks department.

Kera foehunter:

well at least before the end of the 70s
people had to play there music!! not stand up and lipsink
they are mostly  sell outs to the business( pimp out) good looking people that can’t sing for sh**
or the recording co. tell us what they think we should like

Khunag:

There’s lots and lots and lots of incredibly good music nowadays, there really is. Just because it’s not on the radio doesn’t mean it’s not there.

Bassman:

There's lots and lots and lots of incredibly good music nowadays, there really is. Just because it's not on the radio doesn't mean it's not there.

Khunag
I completely agree, in any era of mankind we have never had available such an amount of good quality music like today, it's just up to you to search it! :)

Music continue to fill up my life and I'm always amazed to find new great groups almost every day from all over the world.
:hat off

BTW, Willmark, you posted a really good tune!

Willmark:

There's lots and lots and lots of incredibly good music nowadays, there really is. Just because it's not on the radio doesn't mean it's not there.

Khunag
However if no one has ever heard it does it make a difference?

Kera foehunter:

yes it does !! if you lession to the wind you can hear everything

but will you take time to do that !!

did you hear that !!! another tree fell in the woods

Willmark:

My point exactly.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

BilboBaggins:

As long as you aren’t playing he Madonna version of the song.

@ two_heads-talking: Janis might get some resect just look at Amy Winehouse.

Kera foehunter:

lol like comparing Amy to Janis is too funny

there a different Janis can rock the house down !!

ans amy can fall down in the house

two_heads_talking:

As long as you aren't playing he Madonna version of the song.

BilboBaggins
well, you have a point there.. but amy is anarexic while janis was pleasantly plump..  the world seem ok with skin and bones, but if you are the least bit heavy, they really take a bad look at you   (here's my dig at you Europeans...too damn skinny)

wallacer:

Give me Pink Floyd, and i’m happy :cheers

Bassman:

As long as you aren't playing he Madonna version of the song.

BilboBaggins
well, you have a point there.. but amy is anarexic while janis was pleasantly plump..  the world seem ok with skin and bones, but if you are the least bit heavy, they really take a bad look at you   (here's my dig at you Europeans...too damn skinny)

two_heads_talking
Sorry dudes I'm not with you, are you talking about music or people appearence?
For simplicity's sake let's talk only about music.
TV is not a mirror of society and if good music is not on TV doesn't mean it does not exist and millions of people do not listen to good music.
I found when people look back in nostalgia to "good old times" has a couple of problems:
1) does not search for music any more, does not attend concert and watch only TV junk and consequently say that's nothing cool now in music (most of the cases).
2) normally forget that what we remember now of 30-40 years ago is just "what is worth remembering" or connected to our teenager memories. We usually forget the junk we were forced to listen on tv on the radio but the few good things (like Pink Floyd and Janis Joplin).

I'm pretty sure in 20-30 years we'll compare stuff like Radiohead, Bjork, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and many others to the masters of music of the 60s and 70s.
Somewhere in the world is probably playing somebody that will be the new phenomenon of modern music.
There is nothing wrong in loving good old music, so do I, but never surrender to the laziness of "there's nothing new to be discovered". You'll be surprised how many gems you have to discover.

Regards,
Bassman :)

BilboBaggins:

I was talking about the bluesy music styles of Janis and Amy not looks.

Scion:

Anyone like Comatose - Skillet?

cornixt:

There is always someone out there publishing great music, you just have to hunt in the right places. A shame there is n’t a John Peel equivalent around here. The general public buys what the they hear on the radio and tv, which is why Jackson’s music has suddenly surged.