[Archive] Orc Arrer boyz or Hobgobbo Archers

Groznit Goregut:

Once again, I think it’s a matter of if you have a special slot open or not. I think that orc arrer boyz have a higher leadership and can actually get into a fight with units and win. The points aren’t that much of a difference, but if you are hurting, then go with the hobgoblins. There are enough benefits for going with orcs that makes it worthwhile…if you have the open slot.

BilboBaggins:

It’s not that the Orcs aren’t worth it, they probably are.

It’s not that I don’t have an open Special Slot, I usually fill only 2 at 2250 (2 BT’s, Death Rocket and Sneaky Gits)

It’s that I have a bunch of Hobgoblin archers (over 30).

Spikes:

Hello, I have been lurking around the forums for a bit.

Here’s my reply about the orc archers VS hobgob archers.

First, I agree with most of what SwissDictator has said.

I would say that hobgoblins are better if you “play your CD with lots of slaves”. Because deployment on a 6 foot board, with usual terrain setup, you will have “lanes of fire” or “corridors of troop movement”. These corridors are flanked by forests, buildings, impassable terrain etc. through which it is difficult to shoot, and usually (barring wood elves and skirmishers) it is difficult for the opponent to move through them.

For the CD player’s deployment, if he plays slave-heavy, you will notice that you don’t have much place left for 250mm of orc arrer boys. I find that 200mm is slightly easier to manage as a deployment “footprint”.

Like BilboBaggins, I’d recommend actually screening a unit with the hobgob archers. Sure they may get stuck with animosity, but the fact that they don’t cause panic as they flee is a great advantage.

The Brain:

I think the Hobgoblins are the better choice if you want to use them for shooting, if I’m not mistaken don’t the orcs only have BS 2. That is not worth the T 4 exchange. Ultimatly you need to keep in mind that they are going to get into combat it will be with something that you opponent knows will kill them. So if they are going to die anyway why not have the better BS, and cheaper, Hobbos.

PS what US GT are you talking about. GW does not run any US GT’s anymore they are all independant. Last I looked not many of them allow Chaos Dwarfs, but if they do all the better for us.

w3rm:

hobbos are one point less than an arrer boy with -1 to toughness, no choppa, and core. Hobbos all the way. Use special slots for black orcs, chukka’s, and death rockets.

SteveM:

If your archer unit is to occupy a building you’ll want Arrer Boyz, hands down.

Border Reiver:

I think the Hobgoblins are the better choice if you want to use them for shooting, if I'm not mistaken don't the orcs only have BS 2. That is not worth the T 4 exchange. Ultimatly you need to keep in mind that they are going to get into combat it will be with something that you opponent knows will kill them. So if they are going to die anyway why not have the better BS, and cheaper, Hobbos.

The Brain
Orcs (Fantasy) are BS 3, Orks (40K) are BS 2. Easy to get confused.

If I remember right Orks lost a Pt of BS to make them a whole lot less deadly

Willmark:

Hobbos are better for the points… but consider.

Our Specials are not the best; one slot is almost going to be taken by Black Orcs the other by Bolt Throwers. So you realtically have Orc Boyz, Orc Arrer Boyz and Sneaky Gits fighting it out for the last spot (of course depends on how many points you are playing).

It also depends on who you are playing against. For me they are perhaps the best artillery guard there is against flyers and light cav that we have.