[Archive] Orc Arrer Boyz

ross_lionheart:

I’m seriously considering introducting 18 Orc Arrer Boyz into my chaos dwarf army. Before I purchase them Id like to know if anyone thinks they are worth the points cost and money :hat

catbarf:

Well, consider the following:

-They’re more expensive points-wise than Hobbo archers.

-They’re a little bit tougher- but do you want your archers being shot at?

-They’re better in melee, but like point 2, do you want them in melee, or shooting?

So, overall, I say that if you can specialize, do it- go with the hobbo archers, you get more shooting for your buck.

hal:

18 seems like an awful lot. I’ve never used arrer boyz in my army but metro seems to swear by them.

They are deffo tougher and if they are getting shot at then that’s half their job done already. Every time your opponent shoots at them it means that he/she is not shooting at your valuable units.

Their main drawback IMO is that they are a special choice, but if you usually have a free slot then they’re probably worth their points.

wallacer:

I think you’d be better off with 2 units of 10 instead of one unit of 18 (if you can swing the points for an extra 2).

There is nothing wrong with having the archers be useful in combat. It’ll make your opponent think twice before chucking fast cav or skirmishers at them.

ross_lionheart:

I think you'd be better off with 2 units of 10 instead of one unit of 18 (if you can swing the points for an extra 2).

There is nothing wrong with having the archers be useful in combat.��It'll make your opponent think twice before chucking fast cav or skirmishers at them.

wallacer
Four players at my local club have decided to play a large game of warhammer.��The game will involve two players joining armies that have a total points value of 5000 points.�

My current army list is 2300 points and I still have one spare special slot left and thats the main reason that I was thinking about using orc arrer boyz. I was also considering investing in a unit of 20 orcs with additional hand weapons..

My current special units include:

4 hob bolt throwers
20 orc big uns with fcmd

Canix:

i use the similiar 20 orc biguns xtra choppa

15 orc arrer boyz

25 orc boyz

4 BT

I also use 10 hobbo archers .The orc arrer boyz are just so worth there points and guard ES whereas the hobbo archers protect! the BT

in 3000pt ,this helps if there are really fast or flyer enemy.

i just like having lots of unit types to confuse the opponent i use my DR occasionally also.:hat

Border Reiver:

Nothing wrong with arrer boyz.

they are much more durable than hobgoblins in HTH and just as good at shooting. they are let down by their larger base size, and their slightly higher cost, choice is really up to you based on what models you have and what you see the role of this unit is.

If you anticipate the unit getting into HTH, I’d go with the arrer boyz

metro_gnome:

arrer boys are good for war machine defense…
they do not have to move with the rest for the line…
and if fast cav or flyers end up behind your line (not difficult) then you can deal with them…

But as always the special is the hard thing to give up…
and if you have room for arrer boyz how many machines could you possibly have? (rhetorical)…
still they are hands down better than hobbos for the points…
and in the late game a large unit can still get their hands dirty to good effect…

I wouldn’t go out and buy the metals… but old 6th ed boxed set arrer boyz are cheap as dirt…
but really… don’t expect their shooting to do anything…