[Archive] Painted Master of Madness

Golder Goldeater:

This is the mini that started it all.

Painting this bad boy was nothing less than a joy!

So, how is the red? Is it good enough?

:hat off Hope you like him and please leave a comment! :hat off

Blue in VT:

:cheers

Looks good to me! Red is one of the hardest color to make look Good…but you sir have achieved it!

BTW…his eyes totally creep me out…:o

Blue

GRNDL:

I think you’ve done the model a great justice, sir! I think the red is looking ok - it has highlights and shades which don’t distract from the whole and bring out the modelling of the sculpt, but it seems to be more pinky/purply. Not sure how the model is in real life, but maybe you could bring up the red with a glaze of ink/wash? But take that from someone who’s reds always seem to tend toward the orangy/warm.

All these 3rd ed and earlier models are tempting me… (again) I really need to get around to painting mine.

dncswlf:

Awesome job… mine’s next in my que! Blue, I agree about the eyes… creepy! perfect!

Nicodemus:

Sweet MILF {MoM (Master of Madness) I’d Like to Field} you’ve got there Golder… nicely done!

Fequiil:

Sweet MILF {MoM (Master of Madness) I'd Like to Field}

Nicodemus
yeah right!

Golder Goldeater:

:slight_smile: Thanks for the comments lads! You are the best! :slight_smile:

but it seems to be more pinky/purply. Not sure how the model is in real life, but maybe you could bring up the red with a glaze of ink/wash?  But take that from someone who’s reds always seem to tend toward the orangy/warm.

GRNDL
I tried to wash it with red gore but it didn’t turn out red enough. Does Baal red work better? Has anyone tried it? Oh! And GRNDL, these oragy warm reds are my kind of thing as well!
:mad:mad:mad REDS 4 THE WIN! :mad:mad:mad

nitroglysarine:

There is a range i use that is on ebay, and they have an awesome red called Christmas Red.

Yes I am painting dwarfs with white beards with red details.

I do plan a Demon eater in the style of a Santa sleigh, but with guns!!

GRNDL:

I tried to wash it with red gore but it didn't turn out red enough. Does Baal red work better? Has anyone tried it? Oh! And GRNDL, these oragy warm reds are my kind of thing as well!
:mad:mad:mad REDS 4 THE WIN! :mad:mad:mad

Golder Goldeater
There's a fine line between a wash and a glaze, based on how much water/thinner you use. Too much, you have a wash. A glaze is more paint-like as it sticks to raised surfaces, where a wash will drain into the lower parts. A good way of finding out is to dab the wash/glaze on the back of your hand - if it fills the cracks of the skin well, its a wash, if it colours the skin, its a glaze. Glazing will take several coats before you see a good colour change.

Diluting paint will work you just need patience, washes work better IMO and drawing inks will work the best.

When highlighting reds, I use orange mixed in with the red of choice, until I'm finally using pure orange for the edges. Over that I'd put a glaze. I remember reading a tutorial in WD on how to do a Bloodthirster and it went something like:

Scab Red, highlight Red Gore, red ink wash
Red Gore, highlight blood red, red ink wash.

I think it was broken down into more than that, with half shades of each. But by the time the model was done, the layers were built up so minutely and the glazes so deep that it looked very smooth. There's a lot of Golden Daemon painters who use nothing but glazes to get smooth shading.