[Archive] Paints other than GW

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

Has anyone from the States used any non-GW paints with any success - hopefully ones cheaper than GW. I could have all my paints shipped to me, but it seems an effort if I can get cheaper alternatives.

Bolg:

I’m not from the states but I do use a lot of these paints: http://www.warweb.com/vallejo-paints-vallejo-game-color-paint-c-65_171_394.html and the quality is good (and way cheaper than GW paint).

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

Great Bolg, thanks. 50% more paint and $1 less…not bad at all. I just picked up some cheap hobby supplies and thought “god, I need to buy paint”…so any savings are good.

All other advice is welcome, including cheap sources of undercoat spray (I’ve never found one as good as GW) and brushes.

nitroglysarine:

I use a paint set called Anita’s

its about 3 times the amount as GW, but for only 99p (so about 6 times cheaper than GW paints)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-BOTTLES-ANITA-S-ACRYLIC-PAINTS-SELLING-USED-/290495574139?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item43a2e2b07b#ht_720wt_905

-example.

tjub:

I use Vallejo as well…

Ogrob:

Not american either, also use Vallejo.

In the states, you should also be able to find the P3 range from Privateer Press, and Reaper Master Series, both of which I have heard good things about.

Blue in VT:

As my ancient Polly S paints slowly fade away I’ve been replacing them with a variety of different makers…GW for metals and washes…but everything else has been vallejo or Reaper and I’ve been perfectly happy with both…the Vallejo may have a slight edge in level of pigment…but I like the way the Reaper have suggested triads for highlighting.

Get a few of each and try them out.

Cheers,

Blue

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

I managed to find 50 sable brushes today, from a liquidation final sale for 99c for the lot of them…so now to find cheap Vallejo paints.

tkkultist:

There are some sellers in the UK that are selling vallejo for about $3 a pop - awesome deal even with shipping. Otherwise check the warstore - Im pretty sure they stock at a fair price

Tribun:

<------------------is using Revell Colours! Cheaper and more intensive tone!

But it’s poisonous :(!

Inquisitor:

I live in Canada, so same availability, I have actually moved away from using GW paints to the P3 line, roughly same price, bigger bottle, with highest pigment count among the big name model paint acrylics. Otherwise, I also use Vallejo, mainly for Flames of War, and that is the best way to buy them, choose a pre-packaged Flames of war paint set that has the colours you need and buy it, cheaper than buying individual Vallejo paints.