[Archive] Palanquin #2

Grimstonefire:

For my updated pdf I am doing some fairly big changes to the palanquin, and as always it is proving one of the hardest things to get right in my list:

PALANQUIN

- Available to High Priest and High Sorcerer

- 70pts

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
3  2  0 3 3 1 2 3 6  Palanquin
Note that a Palanquin is a cavalry mount, even though it is not mounted on a 25mm x 50mm base.

Base Size:  40mm x 40mm             Unit Strength:  3

Special Rules:

Both rider and mount have a 5+ Ward Save and are Stubborn.  They are treated as having the Iron Will, Slavers and Damned special rules.

Magic Resistance (1).  Magic items brought for the rider that confer a Magic Resistance will stack with this, but only with that character.

If the Palanquin borne character joins a unit with a minimum Unit Strength of 5, Magic Resistance (1) will be conferred to them as well.  This may be stack.

The maximum that can be stacked onto any unit or character is Magic Resistance (3).

* The Palanquin adds +2 to the rider’s Armour Save (to a maximum of 1+), rather than the normal +1.

Aside from general feedback, I’m not sure whether I should make it T4 or not?

Thommy H:

Too complicated. The whole “magic resistance is conferred to a unit with unit strength 5” and the stuff about it sometimes stacking but sometimes not is pretty much unworkable. Magic resistance never stacks. Just give it MR (1) and be done with it. If the unit/character has better MR then it should follow the normal MR rules and only count the highest. I mean, how much Magic Resistance is there in your list that it needs to stack to be relevant? MR (1) is enough of an advantage without it needing all sorts of caveats and exceptions.

You also don’t need to clarify that it’s cavalry. If it has 1 Wound, it’s cavalry. That’s the definiton of cavalry.

Grimstonefire:

I was only copying what they did in DoC :wink: I have one special unit (unrestricted) that has MR(1), plus a magic banner. For simplicity I could just remove that bit.

Condensing the rules down will allow me to do a bigger bit of art!

Should I make it T4?

Grimstonefire:

I was only copying what they did in DoC :wink: I have one special unit (unrestricted) that has MR(1), plus a magic banner. For simplicity I could just remove that bit.

Condensing the rules down will allow me to do a bigger bit of art!

Should I make it T4?

Thommy H:

Toughness doesn’t matter, since it’s cavalry. Might as well make it the same as a Chaos Dwarf though, just because otherwise it makes people think “why is it Toughness 3?”. Confuses the issue, you know?

I didn’t know Daemons had something as complicated and stupid as that! No wonder everyone hates them…

Grimstonefire:

The characters who will ride it are High Sorcerer and High Priest, both T5. It is carried into battle by slaves (so T3 fluffwise). I know it doesn’t matter really, but I didn’t want to confuse people unnecessarily.

Revlid:

I didn't know Daemons had something as complicated and stupid as that! No wonder everyone hates them...

Thommy H
They don't, afaik. I believe Grim was referring to Palanquin mechanics.

How does it have 3 attacks? 2 I could see, based off frontage, and 4 I could see, based off corners, but 3?

If it's carried by Slaves, why is it M3? If by Orcs, why T3? Note that Toughness and Ward Saves for the mount itself don't matter - it only has one wound, and so will never be attacked.

For the MR rules, simplify it - "The Palanquin conveys MR (1), which may stack with any other Magic Resistance he has, up to the normal maximum of MR (3)."

Grimstonefire:

I don’t mind shaving off an attack, this is a nice cheap mount compared to mech mount and lammasu, so taking off an attack will make it that bit cheaper!  The rider is not supposed to be a real combat monster.  Maybe 60pts?

Nurglings, Bloodcrushers and Disks all have that text, presumably because they are all on 50mm bases.

What is less confusing; T5 the same as the rider, T3 for goblin type slaves, or T4 as something in the middle?

I could keep it at 70 and make it M4?

PALANQUIN

- Available to High Priest and High Sorcerer

- 60pts

M WS BS S T W I A Ld
3  2  0 3 3 1 2 2 6  Palanquin
Note that a Palanquin is a cavalry mount, even though it is not mounted on a 25mm x 50mm base.

Base Size:  40mm x 40mm             Unit Strength:  3

Special Rules:

The rider is Stubborn, has Magic Resistance (1) and a 5+ Ward Save.  They are treated as having the Iron Will, Slavers and Damned special rules.

The Palanquin adds +2 to the rider’s Armour Save (to a maximum of 1+), rather than the normal +1.

Thommy H:

Well who’s carrying it, Grim? Let the background/models guide you. If you envision it being carried by Chaos Dwarfs, it should be M3, T4. If it’s Orcs, M4, T4. If it’s Goblins or Humans or Hobgoblins or some other slave, then it should probably be M4, T3.

M3, T3 is neither here nor there and, as I say, it just makes people go “huh?” and think that it might matter that the Toughness is something strange, when in fact it’s irrelevant. Keep it consistent and logical.

Either way, 70 points is about right. I charge 50 points for a Palanquin that is mechanically the same thing, slightly better in combat, but without your MR, Ward and additional armour save. Don’t get fixated on the Move value altering the points cost - M3 is standard for the whole army: if this is in a unit, it’ll be restricted to M3 anyway. Oh, and drop the thing about the armour save bonus being “to a maximum of 1+” - why should it be? No one else has a limitation like that. If the model pays the points to get an armour save as high as 0+ then why shouldn’t they have it?