[Archive] Picking a provence

AGPO:

I recently had the fortune to inherit a rather sizable empire army free of charge. A mate of mine who gave up the hobby years ago is finally clearing out his stuff and said he wanted at least some of it to go to a good home.

Slight issue is, this stuff was painted when we were kids and thus is ahem ever so slightly below my current standards. Now I’m not one to look a gift horse in the mouth so these bad boys were promptly stripped down and are soon to be primed.

The army contains:
Captain/General on foot
Battle standard bearer on foot
Two wizards (one mounted one on foot)
Warrior Priest
Witch Hunter (used as either priest or captain)
54 converted Pikemen (ca Spearmen)
20 Crossbowmen
6 Huntsmen
18 Halberdiers
10 Militia
8 White Wolf Knights
3 Great Cannon
2 Helblasters

I can’t decide whether to go for Ostermark, Wissenland or Middenheim, so I thought I’d ask your advice. I’ve had a long think and here are my pros and cons for each province:

Wissenland (colours = black and white)
Pros:
- They have cool fluff for Pikemen
- Nuln is in Wissenland, which explains all the artillery
- Less is written about it than the other two, so I’ve got lots to play with
- I can always use them as Ostlanders who have a similar colour scheme
Cons:
Painting that black and white colour scheme will be a pain
Most of my fluff for my other armies is tied into the Storm of Chaos, and Wissenland is pretty removed from that
I want to include some Kislevites, which doesnt fit fluff wise here

Middenheim/land (colours = blue for Middenland, blue and white for middenheim)
Pros:
- Natural opponents to my main army (mixed Warriors, Beasts and Daemons)
- I love the Ulric fluff
- White Wolves fit in best here
Cons:
- The fluff is already pretty much perscribed
- I’ve painted a lot of blue lately with Tzeentch, my marines and my high elves
- The Sigmarite models won’t really fit in
- My favourite SofC models are no longer available, and they’re what made me want to do a Middenheim force in the first place

Ostermark (colours = purple and yellow)
Pros:
- The proximity to Kislev offers the chance to do lots of stuff with them
- The colour scheme is my favourite
- I fought in Ostermark during the SofC campaign
Cons:
- The army doesn’t really fit the imagery of the provence
- Lots of people do Ostermark

Neil:

Why not do a mixed force. There is no reason why you have to stick to one province. You could do a bit of each and still include your Kislevites. You could easily come up with fluff reasons for this, small force which has been detached form a large army, group of survivors after a large battle etc. Or maybe choose one for the main force with attached units from the other provinces. Why compromise if you don’t have to?

Loki:

I would go with Middenheim/land white wolves are cool and they do have alot of cannon in Middenheim the wolfs breath i think is the huge one that is loaded by the giant, you could have the warrior priests as roaming priests that came to middenheim to fight or just convert them to be priests of ulric

Shakhorth:

Make a mixed force. When the empire goes to war it picks up units from all over the place instead of just one province. This way you can vary the theme you want and still field an impressive army… Not mention to keep the painting intresting instead of factory work. Just make a unifying look by doing the bases the exact same way.

Imo this would give the nicest feel and look to an Empire army.

If you don’t like this idea go for Middenland, Ulric rocks and all of your units fit nicely within the Ulrican theme. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fallen246:

Wissenland has a cooler colour scheme IMO, but Middenland/Middenheim have a cooler story to me.

EDIT: Also, it wouldn’t take too much to make a sigmarite priest look Ulric-esque, would it? (This is genuinely a question, my converting skills are limited to cutting and pasting)

Leon Brachwurster:

Hows about Averland? That is were Im placing my Empire army. I love the fluff of The Mad Count Marious Lietdorf. Crazy as a loon.

AGPO:

Wissenland has a cooler colour scheme IMO, but Middenland/Middenheim have a cooler story to me.

EDIT: Also, it wouldn't take too much to make a sigmarite priest look Ulric-esque, would it? (This is genuinely a question, my converting skills are limited to cutting and pasting)

Fallen246
The images are very different. Sigmarites are based more on western priests whilst the priests of Ulric have a more 'pagan' feel to them. Then there's the fact that this particular model is covered in Sigmarite images. If I went with Middenheimers I could always add him to the Carroburg Greatswords I suppose...
Hows about Averland? That is were Im placing my Empire army. I love the fluff of The Mad Count Marious Lietdorf. Crazy as a loon.

Leon Brachwurster
TBH I'm not really a fan of Averland in terms of colours or background. Still I love the Leitdorf model so maybe I'll add some Averlanders later...

Malorn:

Yellow - purple is a marveleos theme in my opinion

AGPO:

Hah, I guess you would say that Malorn, awesome Avatar btw :hat off

Henroth:

My vote for Ostermark.