[Archive] Plate armour

AGPO:

Does anyone have any good methods of making plate armour? Style really doesn’t matter, any tips appreciated

wallacer:

Does anyone have any good methods of making plate armour? Style really doesn't matter, any tips appreciated

AGPO
I just cannibalise bits from other models.
The one in my avatar was made using armour from the 40k Ork figures.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I made shoulder plates for my Terminators by bending styrene strips over a heat source and then cooling them in ice water. Today I’d probably use Fimo instead, much less hassle and the result is just as strong.

Servant of Chaos:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what’s Fimo?

Kera foehunter:

flimo is a brand of clay that get hard when you put it in the oven.

cool or not mini has cool ideas on ammor

AGPO:

I’m looking to see how to do it in a way that allows me to create units of original sculpts. Ideally I’d like to do it using greenstuff…

Kera foehunter:

I say get a box of dwarfs and a new tubes of green stuff.lock your self in a room and go for it .

WarplockMonkey:

TUBES of greenstuff?

What i do is use a 60:40 mix of terracotta miliput and green stuff and use that. It smooths just like clay, it isnt as sticky as greenstuff so its easyier to get sharp edges, and it isnt as brittle as brownstuff, and you can add fine detail to it.

The perfect sculpting material!

Kera foehunter:

Well thanks for that idea Warplock Perfix you say

WarplockMonkey:

The perfect sculpting material!

WarplockMonkey
Indeed i did :P

AGPO:

If only I knew where to get miliput and slightly cheaper greenstuff, sigh.

TheChaosDwarfBehemeth:

People sell it pretty cheap on ebay. There is like 36" rolls u can buy for like 10$ (i think dont hold me against my word)

Grimstonefire:

I’ve just ordered 180cm of greenstuff for �15.72 from Tiranti (UK).��That should keep me going a few months. :wink:

Plate armour can be hard to do well if it covers the entire model.

You should do some research online as to how armour goes together, and the specific parts that make up the areas you are doing.��Pay close attention to how to do the joins.

I would also have a look at any Chaos art you can.��The designs on the lords etc is really inspirational.��

As to advice on how to do it…

If its to be cast you have to avoid massive undercuts, but if it isn’t you should sculpt the armour so that you can just see under each plate (on shoulders etc). This shows that they are not stuck on the model.

As an example of what I mean.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a316/Grimstonefire2/CD%20Project/Immortal2.jpg

This Immortal I sculpted has armour that looks like it’s glued on.��This is NOT what you want, as it’s not realistic

Another tip would be to consider carefully how you position the model.��Sharp bends at the knees, or arms too close to the chest could cause problems later on.

I am also very interested in this at the moment as I’m sculpting a large scale version of Engra Deathsword from HoC.��I also plan to have yet another go at an Immortal soon (4th attempt).

Xander:

Oh Grim! You are such a perfectionist. :slight_smile: That Immortal is pretty awesome. You better cast your minis once you finish them! Otherwise, how can we all enjoy the perfection?

As for sculpting, be sure you have some kind of lubricant, that really helps smooth it out.

Kera foehunter:

Sigh!! wow do you ever do a bad figure?? if so it probly look great too Sigh!!

AGPO:

I have to agree, thats an awesome model, but thans for the advice!