[Archive] Pledge Blog for 2011

Hashut’s Blessing:

Gelatine is predominantly skin and marrow :wink:

As said, red colouring can only be achieved by crushing beetle shells.

However, it is possible to find non-vegetarian chocolate (especially if you put meat into it, lol), but Cadbury’s are safe for vegetarians at all times!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Got some more work done! Gotta glue the Screamers’ tails on and attach bases, but this lot is done. Dwarfs painted in usual colours (as seen on my Mines & Models blog), the Screamers in the same colours as last time (Ultramarines Blue, Ice Blue, Liche Purple and Fortress Grey). The Skaven took a bit more time, but I am quite pleased with: Chaos Black for the straps and a wire, Dwarf Flesh and Rotting Flesh (I think) for the skin, Tin Bitz/Boltgun Metal/Shining Gold for the metal parts, Scorched Brown and Vermin Brown for the fur, Blood Red for the eyes and one of the wires, Camo Green and Sunburst Yellow (I think) drybrush for the warpstone, more yellow for another wire and Kommando Khaki for teeth, weapon wraps and the robes. Lastly, a Graveyard Earth base.

EDIT: Forgot to add it to the total, but done that now. +18 making it 125.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, got a little update. Trying to find some batteries (in the hopes of not needing to buy them, lol) to upload pictures of my LotR Dwarf Rangers (sculpted cloaks onto Dwarf archers) which I finished about a month or 6 weeks ago.

I have also got my Golden Hat entry:

and I actually completed a further seven (including a banner I’m quite proud of that will get explained when posted), but I need those batteries! (My camera will last either 5 minutes or approximately 7 photos on fresh batteries…)

So, for now, I shall +1, but hope you enjoy my GH entry!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, here’s an update of the rest of the models that I painted at that point - started a new job working VERY long hours and not had much time on in the last two weeks.

I know that has 9 models in, but one is my Golden Hat entry and I forgot which of the ones without a conversion to his weapon was already painted, hahaha.

A close-up of my standard bearer, which I’m quite proud of. I was worried about adding the white to the bull’s head, but tried it and it looks good from a distance. The head is actually made up of the qshy/Lore of Fire Key symbol, mirrored over itself - fire and a bull’s head :wink:

A couple of close-ups on weapons!

Lastly, a pair of boring steeds for my Chaos Knights.

Overall, a total of +9 to my score, yay!

EDIT: OMFG! Need to tidy bases and underside of a horse!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, it’s been almost a month since the last update, but it’s been at least three weeks since I completed my griffon - just not yet got around to taking pictures yet. However, I also bought a Great Taurus (yay!) which is undergoing a little greenstuffing atm, which also drops the number completed: bottom line, no pictures, but two are due and the number hasn’t changed. But, as a bonus, I am working on the other unit of Chaos Dwarfs!

Hashut’s Blessing:

The time has come at last for me to finally get round to taking pictures of the previously mentioned stuff! I’ll talk about them a bit in a minute, but just wanted to add that my Chaos orcerer (possibly one of my favourite ever models and one of my first - fairly certain it was my first ever character too…) started to get an updated paint job at GW whilst I waited for a game. He’s not yet complete and has only had Foundations used, but should look much nicer than the all Goblin Green, couple of patches (on his patchwork robe) or Blood Red, with Chainmail coloured metal (all thickly and poorly painted). I am also hoping to get a huge number of models done over the weekend by taking part in the 6 hour marathon (potentially twice!), so have prepped models for spraying tomorrow (got them out and glued/greenstuffed those that needed it).

Anyhow, back to the purpose of the post. First up is my -1 for buying a model, but at least it’s a Great Taurus (with the rider!). As you can see, it’s had some work done on it - the wings weren’t glued great and needed reinforcement, so I greenstuffed around them (still debating whether to make it furry, flamey or leave as is); the base had three holes in it, so I filled two and used the back one; the model kept breaking its glue holding it in the base, so I added some greenstuff there (then made it a lot, lol) and then sculpted flames around the hooves; after doing that, I thought I’d hide the greenstuff holes by adding tiny flames where it had just pushed off of the floor (coincidentally, in the place the hooves would’ve been); lastly, I added the wing-tip flames as though they were coming from its body (or the air was superheating as it passed through) like a slipstream… Anyhow, here’s the “so far” picture - yet to be sprayed and painted by me.

Next up is my +1: the Island of Blood Griffon! Was originally going to do a snow leopard print on the rear half, but I’ve seen it done by painters that aren’t great (even though good) and it can look rather failtacular. Not wanting to risk that, especially since I’d worked hard on the rest of it, I ended up with the pattern that I have now - a kind of mottling towards the tail which uses the mottling colour. I stipled on some Bubonic Brown, with thicker blobs and more of them towards the tail, then the same again, but with (I think) Vomit Brown, but starting off much closer to the tail and closer together. The pink tip was to help tie it in, but I think it looks a bit sucky, so have just got around to my original thought of having flames on the tail - not big, but enough: in particular to tie it to all of my Tzeentch flames (Ice Blue, Ultramrines Blue, Liche Purple with a touch of Tentacle Pink last) as that’s where I’ll use it most (hence the feathers, which use the same palette). I was planning to have the elf be a Dark Elf (and he represents upgrades in Storm of Magic), but I kept not wanting too much black and now he looks neither High nor Dark (which is quite handy and he doesn’t look entirely disimilar to the Swordmaster that I’ve painted). On with the pictures!

Here’s a detail shot too:

richard barby:

Damn those Easterlings are nice models. Somehow no store around here ever managed to have some on stock, ever since they were released. I would love to try my hand on some of the Kataphracts. ^^

Ishkur Cinderhat
they are some of the best lotr models gw put out i would love to see them done as dark elves i think they could fit really well. got to say your undead dwarfs look dam good

Hashut’s Blessing:

Glad to hear that you like the Undead Dwarfs :wink: Will get back to them at some point, but I’m 1) out of money and work, 2) waiting to get people in on the Tale of 3/4 Gamers thing to return to them…

In the Monthly Marathon, I managed to get some more shizzle done! YAY! 5 Warriors of Chaos (my last ones - traded 16 recently), done to a basic standard and in the usual way: they took me about 3 hours and I really don’t know why…

I also managed to get my Great Taurus done! This guy took me a bit under 2.5 hours (intermittently because I kept helping people in the shop. Means I probably didn’t quite take 6 hours for everything) and I tried really hard with him. Scab Red basecoat, drybrushed with Blood Red. Kommando Khaki teeth and horns. Boltgun Metal nosering. Bestial Brown with a highlight of Vermin Brown on the fur. The fire is Golden Yellow, Iyanden Darksun, Blazing Orange and Fiery Orange. Undercoat Black for the (shiny) hooves/toes. The lava on the wing joints is Golden Yellow, one of the oranges and a little Kommando Khaki. Base is Scorched Brown. Meant to add a little Liche Purple (probably in the eyes), but forgot and don’t want to mess it up, lol. To the pictures!

EDIT: Forgot, that’s +6, bringing me to +141 total.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I seem to have done some more buying, but not yet finished any more painting - partly due to a new full-time job meaning I can buy more items, lol. Saving up and trying not to spend though. Then I’ll treat myself to Tamurkhan and some WF stuff!

Anywho, I have the Hellsmith, a Boarding Marine, 15 Blunderbussers and 4 Chaos Dwarf Warriors (one missing hat, 3 having had weapons changed into BBs). Got some plans for the random warriors and I missed my BBs (which I sold off to try and regain a little money), plus I gotta have CD models (hence the Hellsmoth) and the Boarding Marine should fit in well with my Iron Warriors army. Here’s picture proof btw:

That’s -21 for a total of 120. Getting close to losing my challenge!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Bought a Shaggoth, a Herald on Disc and a box of Flamers. That’s -5, making 115.

However, I finished my Caradryan model (which is at work and not yet photographed) and my Disc (which isn’t having the Herald on it), so that’s +2, making 117! Pictures coming ASAP.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Forgot I’d bought a box of 5 Cadians, a Leman Russ and a Cadian heavy weapon team. Damnit! That places me at a further -7, meaning I’m at +110 and have to get my rear in gear and finish painting!

P.S. I also forgot the Bloodcrushers box! Been a naughty boy :frowning: -3, meaning +107, so I have to paint at least 10 models to complete my pledge!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Managed to finish the 3 flamers, so that’s +3, making +110. It seems my signature has been wrong for the last 4 days, lol. I feel like I bought something else, but I can’t think what, so it doesn’t count yet, hahaha. Gotta bring home the disc, the flamers and the elf so I can take proof pictures. Just need to paint 7 more models to beat last year - probably going to work on my 8 half-trolls for WotR.

Going to spend a chunk of the day figuring out a new WoC army list, plus paint scheme (that’s a bit better than my current basic twaddle) and will sell/trade what I have to get the funds/models for it :smiley:

Hashut’s Blessing:

Well, I’m stating that I left my Half-Trolls in a store that I covered, but I’d have had them finished if they were here, so they count :stuck_out_tongue: Need to pick them up tomorrow and take pictures.

Hashut’s Blessing:

If you go that route, it’s best to get unbuilt 6th edition Dwarfs or use a craft knife. I used brute strength and clippers, lol :smiley:

Hashut’s Blessing:

I did it with built 6th edition Dwarfs. Much more resilient than the 7th/8th edition ones and I mean even the fully built ones.

But, like the beast of th Bull-god that I am, I ploughed through, hahaha.

Can work to get the current Dwarfs and simply remove the torso part, but it’s not a great surface to try it on. Keep the backs, glue to the fronts and you have Zombies for raising.

Kera foehunter:

Do you have a 2013 Pledge Sugar Bear ??

Hashut’s Blessing:

Hahaha, not yet. I’m currently in the throes of financial wiped out-dom. As a result, I’m looking to downsize my collection to raise funds. The weather’s been too cold for me to spray anything to start painting and I’ve lost my mojo with it a bit right now :frowning: Not the hobby in general, but painting. I think this year will focus mostly on FW Ds though, so that’s some good news for ya.