[Archive] Plunder for the Ironclad Fleet [January 7 2020]

Reaver of Uzkulak :

My journey to Uzkulak began in 2003 with a simple gift from a fellow fantasy enthusiast, a single metal Warhammer miniature. It all started in the ancient lands of Nehekara before I set off to ply the coasts of Lustria alongside legions from The Galleon’s Graveyard. A whisper and a promise of power lured me into the realm of chaos. After some untold period of time serving the machinations of Tzeentch I found myself wandering the Dark Lands seeking once again the glory of the high seas. Amongst the industrious Dawi-Zharr and their nightmarish hell-forged creations I found my path…

I want to thank this community for providing ever-present motivation and inspiration as well as keeping the forges of Zharr aflame. My hope is to share progress with you all as I slowly collect, convert, and paint my Reavers of Uzkulak. Alas my time of lurking is over, let us weigh anchor and plunder in Hashut’s name! :yar

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Recently painted units and some of my favorite finished work.

Bleak Water Divers - Chaos Dwarf Warriors

Daemonsmiths Halkezhar the Shipwright and Shadohz Mosag

Slave Giant

Pyromancer Izkesh and his conflagration of K’Daai

Magma Cannon

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Selected conversions, current projects on my bench, and unpainted kitbashes. Often (almost always) this is my favorite part of the hobby. I enjoy making my own bases, using household or found items, messing around with green stuff, and slapping all of that together with bits from as many kits as I can get my hands on.

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Aside from my partiality toward nautical themes and the attendant conversion potential I was also drawn to Uzkulak by tales yet untold, exploring the mysteries of the bustling slave-port, the daemonic metal enginery, and the Reavers that set forth to have their names scribed in the annals of infamy.

As I collect and paint miniatures I will endeavor to keep my lore companion book up to date with named character background stories, accounts of the faction’s history, concept sketches, and anything else I find noteworthy. In other words, sometimes I fancy picking up a pen instead of a paintbrush.

Reaver of Uzkulak :

A living catalogue of my army composition, to-dos, and wishlist. In the future perhaps battle reports will live here as well as an army picture of the ever-growing Reavers.

Army List

Ready to Embark:

Still in the Dry Docks:
  • Skullcracker Conversion

Not yet Requisitioned:
  • Immortals
  • Infernal Guard (Russian Alternative?)

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Ideally, as this blog grows I will curate this list of links to key posts for those seeking to navigate to something specific

Forgeworld

• Daemonsmith - Post #17

• K’Daai Fireborn - Post #93

Games Workshop

• Kharadron Daemonsmith Kitbash - Post #62

• Kharadron Infantry Kitbash - WIP Post #26 - Painted Post #37

• Skaven Slaves - WIP Post #43 - Painted Post #45 - Troop Filler Post #90

• Skaven Chieftain - Post #46

• Fyreslayer Pyromancer Kitbash - WIP Post #82 - Painted Post #86

• Hellcannon - Post #98

Miscellaneous Miniatures

• Mage Knight Giant - Post #21

• Admiralty Miniatures Bazooka Team - Post #70

Basing

• Steampunk - Post #32

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Placeholder

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Placeholder

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

tjub:

Amazing start, welcome to the table! Now lets see how far your ambition carry you… :slight_smile:

That Warhammer 40.000 crane sure is a useful chassis for us.

Planning any actual ships as well? And btw, what’s your rules of preference?

Uther the unhinged:

Absolutely stunning! The irondaemon is awesome! Nice little conversion on the slave giant (always loved that figure). My favourite has to be the daemonsmith with the hook though. Truly no ship is safe from these!

Nicodemus:

Fantastic start, very promising! Good job on the place holder posts too!

Jasko:

Arrrrrrrr, mighty nice! :yar

Really nice project, love the Mechanicus head on the deamonsmith and of course the iron daemon! I like how the steampunky look of Dwarfs/Chaos Dwarfs/Kharadron from fantasy more or less meet the gothic look of the Mechanicus from 40k. Lots of potential! And this army of yours will look glorious. And you can also easily play AoS with it, how great is that. :cheers

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Amazing start, welcome to the table! Now lets see how far your ambition carry you... :)
That Warhammer 40.000 crane sure is a useful chassis for us.

Planning any actual ships as well? And btw, what's your rules of preference?

tjub
Thanks Tjub! Traditionally speaking I've played Tomb Kings/Vampire Counts from 6th through 8th, but I've been considering dabbling in The 9th Age since starting my Chaos Dwarf endeavors. While I haven't been directly tailoring anything to AoS, to Jasko's point the crossover would work reasonably well given some of the models I'm using.

I do have concepts for ships/subs that I dream of completing one day (similar theme to my scribes contest entry). Perhaps for an armies on parade type display.
Arrrrrrrr, mighty nice! :yar
Really nice project, love the Mechanicus head on the deamonsmith and of course the iron daemon! I like how the steampunky look of Dwarfs/Chaos Dwarfs/Kharadron from fantasy more or less meet the gothic look of the Mechanicus from 40k. Lots of potential! And this army of yours will look glorious. And you can also easily play AoS with it, how great is that. :cheers

Jasko
Thanks a bunch! I completely agree and I'm looking forward to finding more uses for 40k bits I have lying around. It's a fun challenge but it opens a lot of doors hacking plastic into tiny bits. I've found good use with Dark Eldar bits for the piratey aesthetic as well.

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Absolutely stunning! The irondaemon is awesome! Nice little conversion on the slave giant (always loved that figure). My favourite has to be the daemonsmith with the hook though. Truly no ship is safe from these!

Uther the unhinged
That daemonsmith was the mini that sparked a lot of the ideas. I had originally bought him to become a one-off hero for the Silver Tower but the mechanicus head with tall hat ended up in my bits box. Inevitably ideas and purchasing began spiraling out of control from there. Definitely more Mage Knight Black Powder Rebels conversions on the way. I have boxes of those old things just asking to be cut up and repurposed (pretty sure there are a few steam golem bits on that iron daemon). My 4th grade self was planning for the future by accident.
Fantastic start, very promising! Good job on the place holder posts too!

Nicodemus
All the credit goes to DAGabriel for the blog format tips. :hat off

Admiral:

Amazing. Conversions and modelling work, painting and concepts. I love the basing, army symbol and kitbashed Iron Daemon. Nice character names as well, and kudos for doing a proper log setup in DAGabriel’s spirit. And for feeding our image gallery! :cheers

Besides, don’t forget to make use of your own artwork in this first page setup.

Cheers

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Amazing. Conversions and modelling work, painting and concepts. I love the basing, army symbol and kitbashed Iron Daemon. Nice character names as well, and kudos for doing a proper log setup in DAGabriel's spirit. And for feeding our image gallery! :cheers

Besides, don't forget to make use of your own artwork in this first page setup.

Cheers

Admiral
Thanks Admiral! I definitely have hopes to cross more of those image galleries off my list. Hoping to have more of my lore and concept sketches up soon as well!

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Whilst this wasn’t the first Chaos Dwarf miniature I owned, he was a fun kick off to my ambitions. I used him as a test model for basing and paint scheme as I switched over to Vallejo. As my first completed Dawi-Zharr it seemed appropriate to write a bit of background lore for him.

tjub:

Cool, I really like your concept with drawing/lore and models! :slight_smile:

Admiral:

Nice! And lovely references to Roman catacombs in the sketches as well. This looks like an outstanding army log like few others. :hat off

Reaver of Uzkulak :

Nice! And lovely references to Roman catacombs in the sketches as well. This looks like an outstanding army log like few others. :hat off

Admiral
Glad you picked up on that as it was certainly a source of inspiration. :idea