[Archive] Polymorph - possible casting uses?

nitroglysarine:

I came across this stuff about a year ago, it really is great stuff.

Its called polymorph (no it can’t change into a bunny rabbit) it is basically plastic that melts at 60oC. So throw it in a cup of hot water and it become pliable and sets again at room temperature.

What i was wondering was if it would be any use for castings.

Say is you had a really cool mask you liked, take a cast of it in polymorph pressing it in, let it cool at room temperature.

You would then have a negative mold of it. Now just spray a small amount of a releasing agent, the cheapest and most available is Mr Sheen (as it actually contains about 20% silicone which is a perfect release agent), press some green stuff into the cavity, and either pull it back out again, or if you’d like perfection leave it in there to harden for about an hour.

Polymorph is really good because after you are tired of a mold, simply heat it up in another glass, and it’ll turn back to pliable plastic, then you are free to make another mold.

The stuff isn’t cheep but i managed to blag 1.5kg bag of this stuff last year as it links to my Post Grad Work.

I guess it could even be used to sculpt with as long as you keep it warm, or skulpt very fast.

When it dries it is as hard as nylon.

Anyone have any thoughts on this stuff??

I’ve found it on goggleshops for quite cheep: http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&safe=off&q=polymorph&scoring=r

nitroglysarine:

after a quick test i have learned that polymorph sticks to other plastic like glue.

so the answer is no, its is a poor casting method, even with a release agent, it, and i; fail. :frowning:

Kera foehunter:

well could you use it a part of your 25 mm stand as a lava bace ??

i don’t know what a polymorph stuff is

nitroglysarine:

best ‘how to’ i can find is this: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-use-Polymorph-Plastic/

basicially it melts in hot water turns into putty and sets when it cools like plastic.

maxxev:

I’ve actually seen it used the other way around…

Someone sculpted a chest for Imperial guard conversions and then pressed it into green stuff with a release agent, then he used the polymorph to cast the chests out of…

I guess issues with that are you IG might melt on a hot day…

and it’ll be WAY more expensive than just moulding out of GS (least I’d have thought so)

nitroglysarine:

I've actually seen it used the other way around...

Someone sculpted a chest for Imperial guard conversions and then pressed it into green stuff with a release agent, then he used the polymorph to cast the chests out of...

I guess issues with that are you IG might melt on a hot day....
and it'll be WAY more expensive than just moulding out of GS (least I'd have thought so)

maxxev
Hmm, hadn't thought of using it as the casting plastic.
i wouldn't worry about it melting on a hot day, i'm pretty sure it melts at 65oC plus.
The polymorph i've got it rather viscous i'm not sure it would cast very well.

Grimstonefire:

Does it stick to greenstuff?

If not you could sculpt things then take moulds, then either do GS relief castings or possibly try resin.

nitroglysarine:

Does it stick to greenstuff?

If not you could sculpt things then take moulds, then either do GS relief castings or possibly try resin.

Grimstonefire
Not tried yet, i'll make something quick and we'll see.

i'll report back (runs to tray)