[Archive] Possible custom k'daii article

RiTides:

I just stumbled upon this article, it looks really cool:

http://www.germy.co.uk/makingelemental.html

Obviously what he made there is more Destroyer sized, but I’m wondering about doing something like this for smaller k’daii.

It seems like adding plastic head and weapon bits (which obviously couldn’t be made from foam) and using cut foam pieces for the body, could make for some good looking earth-elemental type k’daii (painted with the cracks glowing orange).

My problem is I’ve been looking for flame k’daii, or rock-based k’daii, and I can’t find a variety of poses in a similar style (which is important to me). Hence my wondering about trying this out :slight_smile:

Gunnerson:

I like it!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Skink:

There is also a wealth of interesting articles in his website. I suppose that the elemental would make a fairly suitable K’daai if Painted properly and converted with some CD bits.

GodHead:

It looks Orc. Not something CD would make.

RiTides:

Well you’d certainly have to paint it differently for it to work, of course.

GodHead:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/ORCS_AND_GOBLINS/ORC_ROGUE_IDOL.html

RiTides:

Like I said :smiley: but point taken :wink:

Gruumpih:

Damn that Orc Idol is the biggest piece of **** Warhammer Forge has ever come out with. i took one look and thought “If I EVER wanted one i would scratch build it and have way more fun doing so.”:hat off

cornixt:

Language, please :). I think it is a great model, but yes it is so easy to scratch-build one that looks almost identical for almost no cash at all.

RiTides:

Language, please :). I think it is a great model, but yes it is so easy to scratch-build one that looks almost identical for almost no cash at all.

cornixt
Hence my thinking of doing this :). "Almost cash at all", after what I'm spending on other parts of the army, would certainly be nice!

Also, a pic of the scratch-built earth elemental from the OP is below. There are also 2 smaller elementals in front of it, also scratch built, on 40mm bases. They actually look more suitable to me (since I'm considering this for my normal k'daii, not my destroyer, as I already have a model for it and something that big needs more detail imo).

Put on some fire effects instead of the moss on the smaller ones, add a few bits, and I think you could make a decent and varied k'daii unit for the price... i.e., almost nothing ;).

Any suggestions of bits to add to scratch built k'daii (and where to get them) would be very helpful! I'm thinking bits for the head, weapons, and possibly some armor plates might be needed...

Skink:

I beg to differ. Almost half way through this thread Baggronor shows a K’daai made out of rocks with its joints painted like running lava. You can add spikes and chains (maybe cogs?) easily accessible from modelism stores. Sculpt fire. For the head I’d use a mask of beaten iron like Ishkur did on his bolt thrower.

kbolster12345:

I beg to differ. Almost half way through this thread Baggronor shows a K'daai made out of rocks with its joints painted like running lava. You can add spikes and chains (maybe cogs?) easily accessible from modelism stores. Sculpt fire. For the head I'd use a mask of beaten iron like Ishkur did on his bolt thrower.

Skink
+1

tjub:

I beg to differ. Almost half way through this thread Baggronor shows a K'daai made out of rocks with its joints painted like running lava. You can add spikes and chains (maybe cogs?) easily accessible from modelism stores. Sculpt fire. For the head I'd use a mask of beaten iron like Ishkur did on his bolt thrower.

Skink
+1