[Archive] Primer or not?

cornixt:

I have never used a special “primer” for my models, only ever undercoated with regular white or black paint. I’ve never had any problems with paint adherence or scraping off easily. So would I get any benefit from using primer?

Skink:

Err… I might be mistaken but aren’t “primer” and white/black “basecoat” the same thing???

Thommy H:

Primer is slightly thicker and generally has a noticeable texture when it dries but really, as with most techniques, unless you’re painting to competition standard there’s really not enough difference for it to have any noticeable effect.

Chico:

Err.... I might be mistaken but aren't "primer" and white/black "basecoat" the same thing???

Skink
Primers use different chemical formulations to increase tooth (texture that allows subsequent coats of paint to grip onto the prior layer) and adhesion and Basecoats are just a coat of normal paint.

I prefer primer just because its easy and quick to use.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

If when priming a model, there is added texture, you’re definitely adding too much (and shaking the can more won’t hurt either!).

cornixt:

Sounds like I’m not missing out on much then, thanks guys.

Fuggit Khan:

I have never used primer. I truly believe it’s not necessary and is just an additional money maker for model companies.

Just my own personal opinion naturally :wink:

Bloodbeard:

Didn’t know there was such a thing. Armypainter Spray Cans - quick, easy, cheap. Bam.

Been using spraypaint from a hardware shop before, but that paint was way too thick and killed a mordheim team.

Thommy H:

Army Painter spray, along with the GW Chaos Black and Skull White cans, are all primers.

Bloodbeard:

Army Painter spray, along with the GW Chaos Black and Skull White cans, are all primers.

Thommy H
If that be the case - buy a primer. I think it's a lot better than cheap spraypaint and also better than painting a basecoat with just black paint.

Skink:

Thommy H
Ah, good, then I always used primers without even knowing i :)!

Kera foehunter:

primer is best on metal figures under coat is good on plastic

:hat off

But i use a new paint primer caller Rust-oleum 2 x

Made to bond to plastic it great and smooth when dry

Time of Madness:

Priming is just quicker and easier then brushing on white or black.

I prime my models white and then do a very quick overbrush of white.

Time of Madness