[Archive] PS Thread- Hurricane Sandy and CDO

Willmark:

Hello, hopefully everything stays up… but the server that hosts the site is in New Jersey.

I’m in the process of backing up the site right now. Why right now you ask? Because in all my planning for the homestead I didn’t have a chance to consider the site until now, nor did it cross my mind where the servers where located until now.

Fingers crossed I get it downloaded in time.

WM

PS Also safe say all those in harms way. Where I live we are on the edges of it (Upstate, western NY), so it shouldn’t be to bad.

Lava Lord:

For all the people affected, be careful and take care. Don’t take chances or do anything foolish. Good Luck and God Bless…

Willmark:

Backup is complete and downloading now.

Again, stay safe everyone.

Blue in VT:

Thanks for taking care of that Willmark. We in VT will get the worst hit over night…wind mostly for us…gusts to 70mph around here. Could be a long night.

Stay safe all.

Blue

Xander:

WM, did you backup just the files, or the databases as well?

Time of Madness:

I am located in southern Ontario Canada and believe we will be getting hit by the tail end of Sandy around midnight eastern. Hope all is well on the US west coast.

Time of Madness

Willmark:

WM, did you backup just the files, or the databases as well?

Xander
Full site. All files.
I am located in southern Ontario Canada and believe we will be getting hit by the tail end of Sandy around midnight eastern. Hope all is well on the US west coast.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
I think you meant east coast. ;)

Time of Madness:

I sure did :slight_smile:

East coast!

Time of Madness

GRNDL:

What? He can’t hope that the West coast is okay? Maybe that’s where he’s evacuating to…

Anyway, South Ontario/Niagara here, nothing to report, except some leaky windows (my shingles are in need of repair)

DAGabriel:

Stay on the ground and have luck, guys!

Borador:

From what I heard there has been quite a substantial amount of damage, hope everyone is alright and the power is back up!

Bolg:

Quite the news item her about it. hope all is well for all who live there.

Skink:

Yeah, what Bolg said guyz. Take care… If this can be of any help here in Kuwait was sand storming.

snowblizz:

Time of Madness

Time of Madness

Willmark
Meh, east coast, west coast. It's all the same innit?
I was following a live chat on a Swedish newspaper last Tuesday and people were asking if their friends in San Francisco and Texas would be OK...
:idea:idea:idea or not...

Time of Madness:

Many people just don’t realize how large the USA and Canada are. For me to get to BC from Ontario (central Canada to Western Canada) it takes at least a 5 hour flight.

Time of Madness

Da Crusha:

Im from san francisco, a flight from here to Rhode Island (one of the states affected), takes 8 hours

Skink:

Many people just don't realize how large the USA and Canada are. For me to get to BC from Ontario (central Canada to Western Canada) it takes at least a 5 hour flight.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
That's so true. For us Europeans it takes just an hour flight to get into a completely different country. I realized what travel means for american people when I worked there.

Willmark:

Time of Madness

Time of Madness

Willmark
Meh, east coast, west coast. It's all the same innit?
I was following a live chat on a Swedish newspaper last Tuesday and people were asking if their friends in San Francisco and Texas would be OK...
:idea:idea:idea or not...

snowblizz
No actually.

I live in NY. When I tell people that they assume NYC. I then tell them to say drive is over 8 hours and around 400 miles away.

The comparison for Sweden imagine driving along the east coast of Sweden from Stockholm. 8+ hours would take one to Judy south of Burea. (If course this means no stopping, doesn't account for weather, etc, etc). In your case we are talking about one country mine one state. Canada and Alaska are even more spread out.

snowblizz:

The comparison for Sweden imagine driving along the east coast of Sweden from Stockholm. 8+ hours would take one to Judy south of Burea. (If course this means no stopping,  doesn't account for weather, etc, etc). In your case we are talking about one country mine one state. Canada and Alaska are even more spread out.

Willmark
I'm not saying there's no distance, I'm saying people were surprisingly clueless.
Point I was trying to make was: "before asking stuff, have a look at a map people, it's not so much a country but a continent". You don't have to tell me, I've flown from Finland to San Francisco (3 years ago) and Seattle (this last August in fact). I was travelling for a smidgeon less than a full day each time.

The scary thing was that there was literally a map of the US with the storm's progress mapped out on the same page people were asking questions. I've had not expected that level of ignorance. The most asked question that day, "will the NYC Marathon still be organised". Talk about priorities...

In Sweden's defence the country is larger than California in area. Finland is well over twice the size of NY (a bit bigger than New Mexico) and both Finland and Sweden are very long. I've attempted sometime to compare them on maps to the Eastern seaboard but I've never been able to since map distortion kicks in I find. But from Trelleborg (South) to Haparanda (North) basically by the E4 motorway which you can follow all the way and is a very feasible route someone would take (not the theoretically longer way) it's around 1,663 km. That's equivalent of NYC to Dayton Beach by driving.
Distances don't impress us in Scandinavia. Nor does empty space. We have that to. Which is why people usually don't drive very far. It takes me a good 2 hrs on the train (a bit longer in car) to get to the nearest large international(*) airport (well the only one in the country). That's also how close my nearest GW store is. Both are in Helsinki, like everything else in this darn country.
(*) meaning one with actual regular flights to other major hubs

Willmark:

I’m never surprised by cluelessness.