[Archive] QCR 2012 Tournament Report (warning: incomming walls of text)

Ender SpiteSworn:

Yo CDO

Last Weekend TVanDyke, DaCrusha, and Myself attended  the Quake City Rumble WHFB tournament in San Francisco.  Below is my tourney and abbreviated battle report.   TVanDie and DaCrusha are more than welcome to add in theirs to this thread as well.

First off a little about the tourney.  The Quake City Rumble (QCR) is a 5 game 2500 point tourney run by a large club calle Leadership2 (LD2).    It is the largest event on the west coast of the USA (maybe west of Mississippi?).  It always sells out and is always over 100 attending.   It�?Ts located in an old privatized military base (Fort Mason) steps from the water where you can get a great view of Alcatraz island.  It�?Ts a fantastic tournament that draws interstate and occasionally international attendies.  If you can make it, put it on your to do list.  It�?Ts an awesome event.

QCR uses a subjective comp system.  You get a comp score that is rolled into your overall.  Most of your comp comes form a panel of 4 judges before the event.  The rest is done by your opponents. Your first comp score is really important it sets your opponents for basically the first two matches.  So there is incentive to come in at a moderate level or you will be neck deep in Demons, ethereal Slann, and Skaven right from the get go.  I got a 5 for comp (out of 12), which is pretty much right in the middle of most attendees.  The destroyer undoubtedly got me dinged, but generally my list was pretty balanced, no lords, 2 warmachines, no death stars. So I feel like they comped me ok.  

Here is my list:

General: LVL 2 Demon Smith (Metal). Dragon Helm, Power Scroll

LV1 1 Demon Smith (fire) Ruby Ring �?" dispel Scorll

Castellan BSB �?" Amulet of Preservation,  Enchanted Shield, Warriors Bane.

X2 Hobgoblin Khans, wolf, spear, shield

19 Infernal Guard (great Weapons) + FC + std of Disciplin

15 Infernal Guard (Hell Glaves) + FC

30 Hobgonlins +musician + std

4 K�?Tdaai Fireborn + manburner

Magma Cannon

Death Shrieker

Iron Demon (Hell Bound)

K�?Tdaii Destroyer

I Should have gone with the Chalice!,  but lists were turned in before the FAQ, and even then I thought it was one use only for some reason.  Would have been a great help. . .

After a Bunch of test games I basically have a set deployment.  Warmachines in the back 3�?� apart, lvl1 demonsmith in between.   In front of them goes the Hellglaives (usually with lvl 2 demon smith/General).  To one side goes the iron demon (close to the middle of the board), the other side of that goes Infernal Guard Block with BSB.   Hobgoblin block next to iron demon.  One Hob-goblin hero to either side of flanks.  The K�?Tdaai bookend the battle line.  The destroyer goes on the side I�?Tm trying to avoid something but in range of the general + BSB  (offset frenzy)

Game 1 Ogre Kingdoms

First game was from an Ogre player from Southern California. He had a gorgeous Ogre Army:  2 sabre tusks, unit of 2 mournfang. Block 9 Bulls, block of 8 iron guts, Stone horn ,firebelly (stubborn), (4+ward), lvl 4 (Heavans, glitering scale , fencers, greedy fist).

Scenario: This was basically a meeting engagement scenario (diagonal deplyement), called coastal fog, general always showed up. Only reserve out of both of us was one sabre tusk.  

He deployed:

One the diagonal from left to right… Sabre tusk (Mournfang behind) , Ogre Block (firebelly + BSB), Stone horn, Irongut block, sabre tusk

I looked at his list and thought, cool, none of the really nasty stuff (he tried to convince me to give him a low comp score afterwards, lol, thought it was pretty ballanced).    He got first turn. I lined up mostly accrors from him a little back.  We spent a turn diverting each other with chaff.  I split up his two ogre blocks and poured fire into his bulls (w/fire belly and BSB).  The destroyer charged the mournfang killed one, the other one ran, but eventually ralied far far far away ($##!#@@).    I sacrificed my fireborn to isolated his lord+GW blocs  and got let him charge me with the bulls and I proceeded to roll terribly.  I had him nailed in the front with the Infernal Guard block + bsb, flanked in the side (Hellglaives), then I lost combat.  By this time the Destroyer had failed a t test (3 wounds of course) then charged the rear (hell galaives in the flank again).   Destroyer does 3 wounds to firebelly, still alive, still stubborn.   By now his iron guts got locked up with the iron demon (stone horn was shot and magiced dead).  They stayed there (for a long time).  

At this point a massive comet of Cassandra came down right near infernal guard, destroyer and bulls.  Killed 8 fire glaves . . 11 hits on Destroyer. 10 wounds ! 6 saves.  So with 3 self inflicted from early its Dead, no wounds to ogres of course.  Well crap. I still won combat though.  Meanwhile my goblin block hit the flank of the ironguts (plus lvl 4) and proceded to win combat with them (he was still fighting Iron demon to the front).  This ground out for awhile.  Both his big blocks lost 6 consecutive rounds of combat, not breaking (frequently relying on BSB re-rolls) , eventually his BSB killed all the infernal guard and my BSB.  He did get a stuborn spell of the last turn which kept his BSB alive (I killed the fire belly and all the bulls).   He was hexing me with heavans magic all game as well, a total of 3 comets came down, 2 poilished off the artillery, magic was a big factor and I could have used that chalice.  Still I totally could have won that even with that ultra luck destroyer killing comit, but did not.  Great grind fest, loss for me.

Well I should have castled way in the corner on turn 1�?�.I can�?Tt believe I lost to ogres. I have demolished several of them with my same list previously. That comet really did me in though.

Game 2: Dwarves (Ringer)This game was against the ringer list (non-scoring army).  It was played by a nice guy, that apparently lives in my town. So it was good to meet him.  He was playing dwarvers.  Lots of flaming artillery (yeah for me), Cannon, couple bolt throwers, organ gun, 3 big blocks of warriors.  Lord on shield bearers.  BSB.  Block of Hammerers. Gyrocopter, 10 thunderors  

The scenario was earthquake… on a 6 the ground shakes, your movement is halved and its hard to shoot (like storm banner).  It happened to me first turn.  Then we forgot to roll it, lol

He deployed (left to right):

Stone Thrower on the Hill (thunders in front of that, Hammers with bsb ,  bolt thrower, long beards with general, organ gun, cannon, dwarf block (cannon and another bolt thrower behind that). Another dwarf block, then a gyrocopter on the far right flank.

This was a total route. Infantry just does not stand up well to K�?Tdaai.

The fireborn alone quickly chewed through a block hammers.  The destroyer personally killed around 60 dwarves, he got locked up with 2 big blocks and the hobgoblins caught up to pile in and break steadfast.  Big win for me.  Not sure I lost any points.  Great guy, felt bad for smashing him, it felt like a 7th ed game that was decided before we started just on the lists.  

Game 3: Chaos Warriors: Nurgle

Good friend.  Usually scores really well at tournaments, but never takes things too seriously. We were both pretty lit at this point (there is a scantly clad beer wenching walking around pouring beers �S ), so I really enjoyed this game.  He has an excellently painted nurgle warriors list.

2 -20 man Blocks Warriors, 1 block 15 chosen (+1 strength) all with Halbards.  5 Knights (frenzy banner).  2 lvl2 wizards. One of dogs . Chaos lord on stead.  Everything that could be marked nurgle was.

Scenario: Heat wave. If your armor save is 3+ you have -1 movement.  Bonus battle points for killing best save unit.

He deployed (left to right):

Dogs on far left, Knights with General next,Chosen block (other side of Building in the middle). Warriors with Flaming Banner, more warriors, dogs on right flank.

He had an answer to the K�?Tdaai with his dragon helm toting chaos wizard, so he pushed him right into my face to try and to lock me up. He was quickly converted to a fine red mist with a close range cannonade blast from the iron demon.    His knights + lord tried to come around a building in the middle.  They got blocked with a hobgoblin, then the hobgoblin block came up. His lord got into them which left his knights unabale to charge.  Eventually the knights got into the flank and smashed them up pretty good.   But his lord overran into the fireborn (who held up pretty well).  The knights got hit with a searing doom then polished off with a cannoned round.

Block of warriors with the flaming banner never moved off the line.  Fled the destroyer charge at the end.

Block of warriors on right got shot to pieces and then the few remaining guys got beat by the hell glaives

The destroyer mulched through the chosen.   Pretty solid win for me.  The last turn of the game I plowed the iron demon into his chaos lord.  I had flammig sword up�?� 7 impact hits�?� two wounds and 5 saves! (ward)  that�?Ts one lucky chaos lord, lol.

My artillery did well this game, shooting up the warriors to manageable chunks, he was timid to move up because of the pending iron demon and destroyer combo charge

So day one I�?Tm 2 and 1.  Had a nice night out with the crew�?�.

Game 4:  

Great Guy from from San Antonio.  Total gorgeous Savage Orc army.  He won buckets of prizes ,from painting  to sports awards.  His army got players choice.   So this battle just looked awesome.  

His List:

All Orcs Savage.  Orc Lord, GW, ward, lvl 4 wizard (Shruki head), lvl 2 wizard, BSB 40 Savage orc Giguns, 40 Savage Orcs, 2 Manglars, 2 Doom Divers, 1 Stone Thrower, Giant (Tatoos), Goblin Wolf Riders, 2 single trolls.

Scenario: Tetunic Flux �?" roll a dice each magic phase- ignore casting and disples of this dice. No channeling.  This really messed with both our magic phases

He deployed:

Doom Diver on far left with a stone thrower, Troll,Manglar  big space then Biguns with lvl4 and general,  then a troll, manglar, next big orc block (BSB + lvl2), doom diver behind that. Far right flank were wolf riders and giant

He went first. One of the most amusing things of the tournament (for me :P) happened next.  His wolf riders had vangarded up on the right flank trying, then promptly failed their animosity roll charge 15�?� into the k�?Tdaii destroyer�?� not a great plan little guys.   In general animosity rolls cost him the game.     Destroyer chased them down,and charge the giant in my turn (fingers crossed)�?� between burning bright and attacks I do 5 wounds… he yells at me for 2 wounds due to crumbling (quite funny really). Next turn I polish it off.

He Pushed the manglers up, my turn both hobgoblins stood on 1 each, problem solved :yar.

On his turn he failed animoristy on his non-bigblock, we attack his  bigun block, locking both in places.  I shot away for a turn.  After this my destroyer charged the normal orcs (Failed frenzy�?�) but killed them to a dude in about 4 rounds of combat.   In the middle I jammed up his bigusn with the iron demen (best redirector ever!, love that thing). Eventually got my IG in the flank and ground away.  The rest of the game was grinding it out. My fireborn marched up and got his warmachines on the hill. Trolls basically got shot up (one wandered stupid for a long time).   I never got his bigun block, he had about 10 of those left with the lord (wizard was dead),  those guys are tough, the got my entire IG + GW block too. But on turn 6 I had that unit with firborn looking at their rear, destroyer in their flank and hell glaves in the front.  I had a solid victory so decided not to give my dice a chance to let me down.

Great Game. Awesome guy.  Pretty hard list, but animosity was his downfall.

Game 5

Verse, skaven, another friend.  At this point I was on table 6, so I was pretty happy with how I was doing.  But Josh is a heavy hitter around these parts , brings hard core lists (which he always denies, lol) and is usually ranked somewhere in the top 5 on RHQ .

His list:

Grey Seer- screaming bell, 40 storm vermin rats, Plague Furnace, 40ish Plague Monks, 5? Rat darts/packs, Hell Pit, Warpfire Cannon, 2 units gutter runners, 1 unit night runner (scouts, poisen, hates them), 2 units of 40 slaves, Bunch of other heroes (Storm banner BSB!.. no doom rocket (weird right �S ).  Not the hardest skaven list out there, but pretty damn effective.

Scenario: Shangheid �?" involved getting VPS for killing heros and champs.

He Deployed:

Rat  darts everywhere.  Screamming bell block on the left (plus BSB), Hell pit then, plague furnace block on the far right.  Cannon in the back. Both slave units to left of screaming bell.

So this is going to be an uphill battle, and unfortunately I lost 1st turn.  His scouts rolled up and put 3 wounds onto the destroyer, not a great start, he pushe everything forward then turn on the Storm banner (#$#!).  The banner stayed up until turn 3. I think only got one shot off with the magman cannon all game.  

On my turn I, missed a lot of shooting (of course), pushed the destroyer right up to the Screaming bell, backed it up with the iron demon (screamin off slaves), put a hob goblin in front of the hellpit to keep him out my hell glaives and moved up the fireborn to block the plague monks.  He charged into the destroyer with the screaming bell block and the hellpit.  Risky. But then his hell pit did 3 impact hits and I failed all ward saves�?�this is bad.  On my turn I combo charged the iron demon and Infernal guard block intothe screamskull. But sadly the IG, could not reach combat as the iron demon was now blocking them (off by 1/8 of an inch, it was close and I should have called a judge over, but I was deep into despair from loosing my destroyer so ignominiously �S.   So the IG were stuck behind and unable to get to that combat with that unit for the rest of the game, which would have made a big difference.  The rest of the game basically saw me drowned in a sea of rats.  I did kill most of the rat packs, the entire storm vermin block + bsb (just not the screaming bell). They died from the iron demon (really love that thing) and I bonced plague back onto them, which is always a good time.  Also killed the hellpit.  At the end of the game I had one Fireborn and the bsbs on the table. So yeah�?� that�?Ts a loss,

Conclusions

Placed 11th out of 100.  If I would have aced that last one (uphill challenge with the 2 towers and storm banner) I would have got 3rd overall. Not too shabby.   By far my best tournament placing, next time I�?Tm bringing that challice( FAQ came out after army lists, and I never realized it wasn�?Tt one use only ,Holy Sh1T that thing rules.

I also go 3rd in players choice (appearance) which is amazing considering all the beautiful armies that were there and my highest overall paint score I�?Tve gotten (score by judges), tied for 6th .   I love these events just to talk with all the hobbiests that show up about conversions and miniatures an its very rewarding getting feedback from people that appreciate your tinkering.  

I like my list still (other then would add the Chalice).  I feel it is competitive against most armies.  My next list may have no destroyer though, just to stop the whinging.

Feel Free to Browse through Photos I took (mostly, the hi-rez ones are from LD2) on my Photobucket account here:

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a46/EnderShadowKin/QCR%202012/

Some of those battles are in there (hope I didn�?Tt botch the details�?�)

LD2 has some more photos up on their Facebook fan page:

Redirecting...

CopperPot:

Nice report sounds like a good event.

Da Crusha:

oh, I just noticed this. gonna read it it a minute and then hopefully in the next day or 2 I will write my own wall of text.

Animatone:

Not a bad showing, good work there… and damn those bastard Skaven anyways!

Da Crusha:

Pretty good report and damn good placing! definitely the highest I have heard about with the LoA list. I took 50th.

Da Crusha:

545 Sorcerer Prophet (General) talisman of preservation black hammer of hashut, charmed shield other tricksters shard, level 4 hashut wizard Great Taurus

Heros

160 Dark Castelan (BSB) enchanted shield dawnstone

170 Deamonsmith Sorcerer level 2 fire wizard opal amulet dispel scroll

60 Hobgoblin Khan spear light armour shield Giant Wolf

Core

332 25 CD Infernal Guard fc

320 24 CD Infernal Guard fc

Special

310 1 Iron Deamon hellbound

Rare

325 1 K’daai Destroyer

205 1 Hellcannon

70 5 Hobgoblin Wolf Raiders spears musician

Giant Wolf

I got a 2.5 or so on comp during the initial judges composition score. I think I wouldve got a 5 or so but was penalized because I turned in my list late. I was going to put in the chalice and that is what was causing my tardiness. here at cdo we were having a debate obver the proper timing of the chalice and then I decided to ask the event organizers to clarify it because my list would change depending on the effectiveness of the chalice. the organizers ruled that it would be used at the start of the magic phase so I removed the chalice from the list. later on they contacted me about the faqs ruling. and instead of asking to change the list I just left it as is.

the faq also nerfed my great Taurus removing its blazing body S4 hits.

so game 1 was against skaven. it was diagonal deployment with random units put in reserves. he only had one 40 rat slave unit put in reserves. I had my destroyer, my deamonsmith, hellcannon, and khan put in reserves and would have been my general as well until I reread that the general cant be put in reserves. he deployed with a big unit of plague rats and plague furnace in center to the left was abom and a 40 unit of clan rats, warlord and engineer with warpfire thrower. and a warplightning cannon far back on both sides. on the plague units right there was a small unit of stormvermin protecting the grey seer, then a 40 unit of slaves and far right was a unit of gutterrunners.

I deployed with iron deamon center,  both IG units beside it on both sides. my Great Taurus in center behind the iron deamon. and that was it.

he got first turn and advanced with everything. my first turn I summoned reserves. destroyer came center, between the 2 IG units. Hellcannon deployed in left flank with deamonsmith, and khan. I realized I wanted my Iron deamon to hit the plague unit to slow it so I can take out the furnace and deal with easy stuff with the IGs so I engaged the boilers. Iron deamon smashed into the plague monks but upon judge ruling I found out the impact hits cant hit the furnace, so bummer. takes a few wounds in return. I killed a bunch of rats. meanwhile I had my wolf riders go after one of the cannons and the Great Taurus after the other.

his 2nd turn the abom charged my IG unit. the slave unit charged my other IG unit. the clanrat unit came towards the hellcannon. the abom does a lot of wounds and takes none in return. IG on right hack up a bunch of death frenzied slaves and take few wounds. the slaves were near unbreakable with steadfast. Iron deamon takes more wounds.

my 2nd turn the destroyer charges the abom on flank. the hellcannon shoots and misfires, rerolls with deamonsmith and misfires again, I roll a 6 and counts as a direct hit with S10 everywhere. kills 18 clanrats. also the warpcannon gets charged and killed by wolf riders. the great taurus get ready to charge the cannon. so, the destroyer brings the abom down to 1 wound then the abom kils a whole bunch of chaos dwarfs. the destroyer gets killed by crumbling. later the iron deamon gets killed by the plague rats.

during turn 3 the surviving cannon kills the great Taurus leaving the rider on foot. a really bad turn for me. my turn 4 the level 4 wizard charges into the gutter runners and then blows up and gets sucked into the warp. we play out the rest of the game but I ended up losing by 5 or 600 points.

game 2 against Warriors of chaos,

tvandyke:

Pretty good report and damn good placing! definitely the highest I have heard about with the LoA list. I took 50th.

Da Crusha
Nice report. Mine is pretty boring. I lost 3, tied 1 and only won 1 game. I didn't even see the placings. Do they have them posted anywhere yet?

Ender SpiteSworn:

Not a bad showing, good work there... and damn those bastard Skaven anyways!

Animatone
Thanks!, and totally, storm banner ... grumble grumble

Da Crusha
Thanks, thats basically what I did at SAWS. You played my friend Jack and his Cheesy Tzencth bus listed. Sadly I prepped him fro you with a couple test games. Those knights and their 3+ ward are super annoying.

Da Crusha
Nice report.  Mine is pretty boring.  I lost 3, tied 1 and only won 1 game.  I didn't even see the placings.  Do they have them posted anywhere yet?

tvandyke
Ya Needs more hobgoblins :idea

I think its hard to fit enough guys in with the Taur'uk, the lord, and the Destroyer. I also think the destroyer is bound to let you down in a 5 game stretch, a more consitent list may not have a place for him. I think I will try things without him for awhile... when I get a chance to game again, lol. House projects built up there the last couple months. . .

Da Crusha:

Here is a pic I took of the tournament results

tvandyke:

Nice report. Mine is pretty boring. I lost 3, tied 1 and only won 1 game. I didn't even see the placings. Do they have them posted anywhere yet?

tvandyke
Ya Needs more hobgoblins :idea

I think its hard to fit enough guys in with the Taur'uk, the lord, and the Destroyer. I also think the destroyer is bound to let you down in a 5 game stretch, a more consitent list may not have a place for him. I think I will try things without him for awhile... when I get a chance to game again, lol. House projects built up there the last couple months. . .

Ender SpiteSworn
I actually dropped the Taur'uk for this tournament.  I basically replaced him with a unit of Wolf Raiders, a Khan on wolf, bumped the Bull unit from 5 to 6 and gave them GW's.  The Destroyer just absolutely killed me this tournament.  Maybe I was just way to aggressive with him but he never made it past turn 3 (all 5 games).

Game 1, I charged a unit of Savage Orcs in hoard formation. This unit contained a War Boss and Big Boss. He had a hell of a time causing wounds but he had a 5+ ward on the unit and he kept making them. I lost the first round of combat (I whiffed badly) by 1, lost my frenzy and he popped after 4 rounds of combat. I felt desperate to charge something quickly in this game because he had a Savage Orc War Boss running around on a pig with the Dragon Helm.

Game 2, I played against Lizards. He took 3 wounds from skinks with blowpipes (poison) in the first turn. I charged a unit of Skinks with Krox (which I later found I couldn't thunderstomp because of the Krox). I was eating the unit, he counter charged with a steg, which I should have killed but left one wound on it. In my next turn, I took a Toughness test, failed and promptly rolled a 5 (3 more wounds), pop!!! Tournament was off to a great start.

Game 3, I played against Chaos Warriors. He had a unit of tzeentch chosen that managed to roll 11 on the eye of god. I think he was able to adjust it because he got the 3+ Ward with Stubborn result. Anyway, on my 2nd turn I charged this unit with the Destroyer. I figured I'd just hold it up all game. As it turned out, he was failing quite a few ward saves and I had the unit down to half it's size in two rounds of combat. Then he got off Mindrazer. He caused 12 wounds in the first round with it on. Amazingly and to his astonishment, I saved 11 of them. Next round (mindrazer still active), he did 10 wounds and I only saved 5 of them. Dead Destroyer.

Game 4, Beastmen (this is the only game I won). My Destroyer got charged by a big unit of Minotaurs, his Minotaur Lord and a big unit of Beastigors. Now keep in mind, I threw my Destroyer out there, forcing his hand. I didn't want the strength of his forces hitting my main lines. I was hoping one of his charges would fail since he needed good roles. He made them all. We were in combat for about 4 or 5 combat phases. I focused on his Beastigors and had the unit (started out as unit of 30) down to 5 before the Destroyer finally died. Even though the Destroyer died, at least the Destroyer tied up his main forces long enough for me to take out the rest of his stuff.

Game 5, Ogres. He placed a Sabertusk right in front of my Destroyer in a way that if I charged, I'd have to Overrun into his unit of 6 Maneaters. I tried to hold the charge, but failed. I ended up in combat with his Maneaters which I didn't think was a big deal. Apparently they can choose to have poisoned attacks which are just deadly. I honestly can't remember if I rolled bad on my saves or not, but the Destroyer died within a few rounds.

I'm seriously thinking about dropping the Destroyer as well.  At SAWS I did better but still only won 3 of 5 games.  I've brought some pretty soft armies in the past and have always managed to win at least 2 games (I'm talking about armies where I've got 12 out of 15 in comp).  I only got a 5 of 15 with this army.  I think I can drop the Destroyer, replace it with Fireborn, add some Hobgoblin archers and still have a really good chance of winning 3 games.  The great thing is that since the Destroyer has such a bad reputation, by not taking it, I can almost guarantee my comp score will double.   By the way, I brought the Chalice and it was pretty damn awesome.

Ender SpiteSworn:

I think a lot of it is just match ups, Poisen is a major problem with the K’daii as it is wiht all big monsters. I do thik some of the shock and awe about destroyers is wearing off. It will be interesting to see if more Chaos Dwarf armies start cropping up locally.

I went 0 and 5 with High elves a few years back, and got a crappy comp score to boot! (Apparenly Griffens are really scary, lol).

How did the wolf riders work out? I’m always worried they will just panic themselves away, plus the lone khnan does most things they would do. I wonder why O and G players never run lone goblins on wolves, I suppose they already have plenty of Chaff.

tvandyke:

I think a lot of it is just match ups, Poisen is a major problem with the K'daii as it is wiht all big monsters. I do thik some of the shock and awe about destroyers is wearing off. It will be interesting to see if more Chaos Dwarf armies start cropping up locally.

I went 0 and 5 with High elves a few years back, and got a crappy comp score to boot! (Apparenly Griffens are really scary, lol).

How did the wolf riders work out?  I'm always worried they will just panic themselves away, plus the lone khnan does most things they would do.  I wonder why O and G players never run lone goblins on wolves, I suppose they already have plenty of Chaff.

Ender SpiteSworn
They did about as good as the lone Khan. I think either of them work about the same for the same cost. The only reason I put in the unit instead of a second Khan was just to get more drops and make the army a bit bigger. The Khan has to be dropped with all the other characters. The unit can be put down separately which helps when deploying with such a small army.