[Archive] Question: Who's online - guests?

Bloodbeard:

So I clicked that “who’s online” tab and see it’s a way of stalking. And get a nice confirmation that old members are looking around, even though they don’t post.

Now there’s constantly around 50 guests in here, accesing all kinds of threads. My question is this: Are they all real people or are most of them bots / programs / agents of the matrix?

I see a few bots are named like Google Bot. If there are that mNy actual human guest the site sure gets a lot of trafic, people looking a random old stuff.

Abecedar:

I call in a lot more than I post, I like to say things with some meaning and I always seem to get interupted before I can think of something.  

Wouldn’t have a clue about how those “bot” things actually work though.

Nicodemus:

As far as I’ve ever been able to discern usually half look like legit human guests, as opposed to bots and crawlers. One way to get more insight is to look at the IP address the guests are connecting from. Not sure all of the info is globally available to all CDO users, as a lot of my lookups were a few years back after becoming an admin and checking up on traffic and where our referrals were from, etc