[Archive] Quick Rules Question

Neil:

Please can anyone tell me what happens in a situation where a unit should be subjected to two types of compulsory movement. Specifically an example along these lines -

A unit of Chaos Warroirs with Mark of Khorne is in charge range of an enemy unit, so must do a frenzied charge. However they are led by a character wearing the Helm of Many Eyes who has failed his Stupidity test, and must therefore move forward at half movement. What happens?

Thanks.

Da Crusha:

Please can anyone tell me what happens in a situation where a unit should be subjected to two types of compulsory movement. Specifically an example along these lines -

A unit of Chaos Warroirs with Mark of Khorne is in charge range of an enemy unit, so must do a frenzied charge. However they are led by a character wearing the Helm of Many Eyes who has failed his Stupidity test, and must therefore move forward at half movement. What happens?

Thanks.

Neil
since stupidity tests are done at the start of the turn before charges are declared, the stupid character prevents the unit from being able to charge.

The Snowman:

p.52 of the rulebook says that Stupidity roll is made at the start of the player turn, but movement counts as compulsory movement and occurs after charges have been declared.

It also says that units that failed cannot voluntarily declare charges. Note voluntarily.

Same page, Frenzy occurs in the declare chargers section and I think there is an argument that it overrides stupidity…

But I could be wrong, I have never played with an army with stupidity or the frenzy rule… would be interesting to have this explained clearly.

Neil:

I was thinking specifically of a situation where the frenzied unit chose not to declare a charge (I suppose if it failed it’s stupidity, it couldn’t anyway). But then in the compulsory movement part was found to be in charge range of an enemy unit and so has to charge as a compulsory move because it is frenzied.

Da Crusha:

well a long time ago (when the WoC book came out) I asked gw what if my character had the helm of many eyes and failed a stupidity test and he was riding a manticore that gained frenzy, what would happen? they told me that the creature would become stupid and move straight forward at half speed

snowman: I think when it says that a stupid unit cannot voluntarily declare charges, it is because the unit will move forward at half rate and may involuntarily charge

Baggronor:

Frenzied troops still actually declare charges like other troops in 7th ed, its just compulsory for them to do so if they are in range. It does not specify that a frenzy-induced charge is Compulsory Movement; Stupidity, however, is. Thus, the unit would declare its charge as normal (as they are frenzied), then be unable to complete it due to the leader’s Stupidity move which is compulsory. Note that the frenzied troops must still declare their charge, despite the Chaos player already knowing it will fall short due to the failed Stupidity (which is done at the start of the turn).

Neil:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. :slight_smile:

Hashut’s Blessing:

Not got the book to hand and, if memory serves, Frenzy overrides other psychology. If the Frenzy was lost, they would then not be able to CHOOSE to charge.

But, that’s from memory :wink: