[Archive] RATM - UK Christmas Number 1!

AGPO:

I’ve got a great feeling of Christmas cheer this morning, because the UK has just shown it still cares about real music. Rage Against The Machine’s Killing in the name beat Simon Cowell’s latest X-factor clone to the number one spot by 50,000 copies. Finally after five years of utter garbage a grass roots campaign has meant real music has prevailed. Big hats off to everyone that helped.

Merry Christmas :cheers:hat off

P.S. Before anyone brings up the whole ‘you’re just lining the pockets of Sony anyway’ argument, all the proceeds from sales of KITN this christmas go to Shelter - a UK homlessness charity

BilboBaggins:

Sure you guys got a 8 year old song as number one this week.

Well Rage will have to perform the Free concert they promised to get people to buy the song.

Baggronor:

Huzzah, nice to hear that one worked :cheers

Pyro Stick:

Sure you guys got a 8 year old song as number one this week.
Well Rage will have to perform the Free concert they promised to get people to buy the song.

BilboBaggins
I thought it was more like a 17 year old song?

I think this is great. Hopefully it will start a whole new trend of metal christmas number one songs. This was the first time i was actually excited about the christmas number one. I hope you all did your part and downloaded the song. It was only 29p

nitroglysarine:

Yeah ‘killing the name of’ was from a 1992 album called simply ‘Rage Aginst The Machine’

Great band, great song, and it seems they have reformed a few years ago, would be great to hear some new fresh stuff from them.

I was one of the 450,000 people in the uk that bought it, great campaign, nice to hear a song that means something get no1 for a change other than dreary repetative love songs. And thank god, a song for the first time in 5 years that insn’t s cover!!

BilboBaggins:

Nope

First, I’m American so I doubt it would have counted on their chart

Second, I won’t buy Rage against the Machine because of their support of a killer of a Philadelphia Policeman. I don’t really like them anyway so it’s not a stretch.

nitroglysarine:

Nope
First, I'm American so I doubt it would have counted on their chart
Second, I won't buy Rage against the Machine because of their support of a killer of a Philadelphia Policeman. I don't really like them anyway so it's not a stretch.

BilboBaggins
When you say support what do you mean exactly, is a death-row support?

BilboBaggins:

They want him freed because they consider him a political prisoner. Mumia was a failed reporter and was a cab driver when he came upon Officer Daniel Faulkner who stopped his brother. Why Mumia had a gun and shot the officer is up for debate, but he was convicted and is on death row. His brother I believed served a few years for the crime he was stopped for. Mumia has the support of many of the Hollywood elite and the French Government (don’t get me started on the French) and has had writings published while sitting in jail. One radio talk show host had t-shirts made that said Mumia shouldn’t be in a 10x8 cell but 6 feet closer to hell.

cornixt:

Having an old song at number 1 is almost as bad as a manfactured song. The only thing that improves it is that it is a good song and the singer didn’t die for it to happen.

BilboBaggins:

Maybe I should have started a drive to make a Lady Gaga song #1. :smiley:

Pyro Stick:

For those that missed the announcement of the christmas number one, you can listen to it here:

BBC Radio 1 - The Official Chart on Radio 1 with Jack Saunders, The Christmas No 1 Countdown

edit:

Maybe I should have started a drive to make a Lady Gaga song #1. :smiley:

BilboBaggins
I think lady gaga came in third

slev:

BilboBaggins
No, Rage Against the Machine will, or RATM for short.
Rage are an entirely different act.

Shame that never released Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody, I'd rather have had that.

Notably, the other "don't let the X-Factor win!" song, Journey's "Don't Stop Believing", was also in the top-ten.

Borador:

Did someone say: Christmas and Metal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cXgASLciXc

The video is amazing btw ;D

BilboBaggins:

Personally I like Slightly Angry Metal Christmas Songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alIcwofkrS8&feature=related

Crube:

Almost as good as when the Eurovision was won by Lordi …

Bassman:

Said that I’m not one of the “good-old-times-when-music-was-real” but one of the “I-love-real-music-not-television-junk” I’m really happy. RATM was one of the greatest band of the last few decades! When I talk about music I do not care their political views.

Unfortunately this could happend only in a country with a decent music culture like UK (I know that now Britons will start to complain about their country :wink: but if you come to Italy you will know what really a modern music ignorant country is… :-).

Malorn:

They want him freed because they consider him a political prisoner. Mumia was a failed reporter and was a cab driver when he came upon Officer Daniel Faulkner who stopped his brother. Why Mumia had a gun and shot the officer is up for debate, but he was convicted and is on death row. His brother I believed served a few years for the crime he was stopped for. Mumia has the support of many of the Hollywood elite and the French Government (don't get me started on the French) and has had writings published while sitting in jail. One radio talk show host had t-shirts made that said Mumia shouldn't be in a 10x8 cell but 6 feet closer to hell.

BilboBaggins
I will not argue on the internet, because it will make me look retarded even if I win the argument, but I will kindly ask people to tjeck out wikipedia on Mumia Abu Jamal, before jumping to the conclusion, that RATM support a cop killer for for no reason.

Zack (the lead singer) once said, that they support cop killers about as much as they support killer cops. In RATMs eyes, the evidence against Mumia is lacking. They, among many others, blame the troublesome judge as the problem. (More on the wiki)

On a side note: A shame it's allways "Killing in the Name off" that gets the airtime. RATM has made 10 better songs at least, but it's always the first hit that airs time after time

nitroglysarine:

They want him freed because they consider him a political prisoner. Mumia was a failed reporter and was a cab driver when he came upon Officer Daniel Faulkner who stopped his brother. Why Mumia had a gun and shot the officer is up for debate, but he was convicted and is on death row. His brother I believed served a few years for the crime he was stopped for. Mumia has the support of many of the Hollywood elite and the French Government (don't get me started on the French) and has had writings published while sitting in jail. One radio talk show host had t-shirts made that said Mumia shouldn't be in a 10x8 cell but 6 feet closer to hell.

BilboBaggins
1. I don't believe in hell, plus if exisists, i doubt it would be the standard interpretation of hell. Its is simply a creation of the world to create a shared conciousness, which is a human conpunction, and is forced upon us to control our actions and morality. I am persoanlly an anti-theist and belive that religion is a hurdle the human race must get over - sorry bit of a rant there!
2. I don't believe in the worth of the death penalty, murder is murder even if the state alows it, and murder numbers in states that have the death penalty are the same as in those that don't. Plus the system will accidently put an inocent person to death eventually, even if they havent already.
3. I perhaps he is innocent, convicted people are sometimes innocent, otherwise there would be no need for such a thing as an appeals proceadure.
4. I alpawd a man who will stand against a system that put people to death simply because of one or more action