[Archive] Ravening hordes #2?

mattbird:

But GW doesn't own the Indy list, does it?

Tarrakk Blackhand
If I understand their IP policy correctly, I believe that they actually might. Or at least claim to. Not the images and artwork, but I think they claim ownership of anything anyone writes as suggested rules or fluff.

If it were 10-15 years ago, back when the Citadel Journal was still around, we might have had a shot at getting it published by GW. These days, that chance is 0%. On the plus side, they do allow fan lists to exist and be circulated. :)

The Brain:

I think a lot of people underestimate the WD presents book. It is as good as any of the other books that were written around that time and has just as much fluff as those books. I have many of the 5th edition books, empire, dwarfs, O&G, Dark Elves, and the CD book is laid out exactly the same. Other than the fact that it was originally released in pieces through WD it is no different than the other books. Really all GW needs to do is update the tweak the RH rules and put it together with the WD presents content and it would be a perfect book. The RH rules are competitive enough to match new armies, it only needs a few tweak, like moving centaurs to special, and giving the army chaos armor. I have held my own against daemons and VCs with it so it can�?Tt be that bad. The fluff in the WD presents book is limited, but most of those older books were similar. I think it is better that way. It allows for gamers to use more imagination in their own armies. In more recent books GW�?Ts the fluff has gone downhill. Personally I hate GW�?Ts fluff, it lacks creativity and predictable as the tide.

EDIT:

But GW doesn’t own the Indy list, does it?

Tarrakk Blackhand
If I understand their IP policy correctly, I believe that they actually might. Or at least claim to. Not the images and artwork, but I think they claim ownership of anything anyone writes as suggested rules or fluff.

mattbird
GW could still claim ownership over the IP in the indy book, however as long as you never charge a fee for it and if GW can not establish that they were financialy harmed by it there is very little they could do about it.