[Archive] rugluds armored orcs

Malificant:

anyone have an opinion on including these with chaos dwarfs? model them as black orcs with crossbows. could be the key to getting midranged shooting effectivness.

Tallhat:

They are quite good though there is no need to convert them as the models available are already quite nice and are IIRC in fact aready Blorcs.

- Tallhat

minty:

Rugluds orcs are awesome, cross bows, heavy armour and s4, whats not to like:)

Willmark:

minty
What's not to like? They are a DoW unit, therefore a rare choice. If your gonna use a rare choice make it count IMHO. Not use if for crossbows...

Don't get ms wrong they are cool, just can't justify crossbows armed orcs in a rare slot.

Uzkul Werit:

Their BS can’t be up to much then. It’s worth it for the Standard Bearer - 3+ Ward on a Gobbo?!? Madness!

Tallhat:

minty
What's not to like? They are a DoW unit, therefore a rare choice. If your gonna use a rare choice make it count IMHO. Not use if for crossbows...

Don't get ms wrong they are cool, just can't justify crossbows armed orcs in a rare slot.

Willmark
Agree completly. There is no point whatsoever in using a rare choice on these (or any otehr DoW for that matter) when you can get BC and ES.

- Tallhat

minty:

Welll I guess not in a chaos dwarf army, but they’ve served my dark elves, chaos, empire, and beastmen well over the years, so I like them

and they can serve chaos dwarves well, there cheap, powerful range weapons that can fight aswell as biguns in close combat, making great guards for my warmachines

Willmark:

My point is this typically most games are 2,000 points thus 2 rare slots. What makes more sense using that precious slot on crossbow armed orcs who may squabble or ogres or galloper guns, etc. The reason I say other is when was the last time anyone did not take a earthshaker?

minty:

yess, 1 earthshaker and a unit to guard it then I know won’t be redundant like my hobbos somethimes are.

Willmark:

However as established in other threads arrer boyz make a much better choice for artillery guard duty then rare slot rugluds… Plus they are only a special slot.

wallacer:

If you’re talking about the old Ruglud’s regiment of renown set, then the miniatures are terrific. Just use them as a normal Orc unit of some kind rather than a rare slot sucking DoW unit.

Willmark:

Love the old unit, a buddy of mine plays or a and he still has that unit. It was one of the first GW Orc units I ever saw.

Uzkul Werit:

Surely 10 DOW Crossbowmen would do the same job but for cheaper?

Willmark:

Then rugluds? Sure. However that is not the point. As we have established innumerous threads��our Specials are perhaps the weakest area of the current list. Thus arrer boyz make a much better choice for artillery guard duty. Using any DOW unit for the sole pupose of adding crossbows to the army is not a good choice for army composition.

This is especially true since 1 rare slot is almost always going to be tied up with the earthshaker.

Malificant:

well, dow crossbows would not do the same job. they arent t4, dont have choppas, and no +2 combat rez banner. closer would be fully kitted out DOW dwarves. t4, 5+(or 3+) armor, great weapons, crossbows, smaller frontage. also, neither of these have a character in them.

Willmark:

However IIRC we cannot take DoW dwarfs being chaos dwarfs…