[Archive] rules clarification: Movement Iron Daemon

TheHoodedMan:

Charge movement:

The iron daemon declares a charge. Is it possible to charge targets in the front arc and make the usual 90 degrees turn before going straight ahead and then “close the door” when the target is hit?

The book says you have to move forward in a straight line without turning or wheeling.

(“Lumbering and unstoppable”)

Or how is this proceeded?

Bloodbeard:

Charge movement:
The iron daemon declares a charge. Is it possible to charge targets in the front arc and make the usual 90 degrees turn before going straight ahead and then "close the door" when the target is hit?
The book says you have to move forward in a straight line without turning or wheeling.
("Lumbering and unstoppable")

TheHoodedMan
Worst rules ever written.
To my best understanding: No wheel as normal units have it.

You have to do your moves in one turn or during deployment. When declaring a charge it's straight forward, no wheel no nothing. Of cause you "close the book" when hitting an enemy unit.

But here's the sneaky trick with the ID. You have unlimited turns when moving normally - because you move it as a chariot. So if an enemy is 6'' behind you or on the other side of an obstacle, you can still get into combat with them. As combat starts as long as you hit an enemy unit. No charge bonus or impact hits of cause.

Taken out a lot of fast cavalry this way.

Edit: 6'' statement is wrong. But just go full steam ahead and "march" the Iron Demon into a unit in front. This way they get no charge reaction, so they can't flee.

TheHoodedMan:

Charge movement:
The iron daemon declares a charge. Is it possible to charge targets in the front arc and make the usual 90 degrees turn before going straight ahead and then "close the door" when the target is hit?
("Lumbering and unstoppable")

TheHoodedMan
Worst rules ever written.
But here's the sneaky trick with the ID. You have unlimited turns when moving normally - because you move it as a chariot. So if an enemy is 6'' behind you or on the other side of an obstacle, you can still get into combat with them. As combat starts as long as you hit an enemy unit. No charge bonus or impact hits of cause.

Taken out a lot of fast cavalry this way.

Bloodbeard
Thank you for your advice, especially the hint with the "no charge reaction".
But as for the above mentioned rule: Are you sure this works. I read the rules section again and it says after the passage with the "steam boiler movement":
"If the total movement brings the ID in contact with a unit unintentionally... roll for impact hits as normal."

For me that sounds like this is for the 2d6+6 movement. Nothing mentioned about the normal 6" movement which would mean the ID has to stop 1" away from other units (of course can shoot).
Did I overread anything or where can I find the rule?

Bloodbeard:

Thank you for your advice, especially the hint with the "no charge reaction".
But as for the above mentioned rule: Are you sure this works. I read the rules section again and it says after the passage with the "steam boiler movement":
"If the total movement brings the ID in contact with a unit unintentionally... roll for impact hits as normal."

For me that sounds like this is for the 2d6+6 movement. Nothing mentioned about the normal 6" movement which would mean the ID has to stop 1" away from other units (of course can shoot).
Did I overread anything or where can I find the rule?

TheHoodedMan
You are absolutely right. It get's impact hits. And after re-reading the rules I'm not sure about my 6'' move claim.

It's dirty, cheap and cheesy for sure. And my respons was based on an old reply in an Iron Demon thread. And as far as I remember a user played as the above. Gonna have to see if I can find the thread.

Bloodbeard:

Here is the dirty charge - no charge at all thread.

But I must retracts my 6’’ statement. That is wrong.

TheHoodedMan:

Thank you. Have some slaves for your furnace!

edit:
I summarize as follows:

- 6" move with wheels like chariot, but no contact allowed, shooting without penalty because of movement
- charge without wheeling, but closing the door; failed charge: Move full distance
- Engage steam boilers in regular movement phase: 2d6+6, no wheeling or turning, enemy contact: impact hits and stay in combat with “always strikes last” first turn; friendly contact: impact hits and roll back to 1" distance

edit2: looked up FAQ; charge is exactly like written above.