[Archive] Rules Question - Charging

Neil:

This came up in a game at the weekend and we weren’t sure what the correct course of action was.

Unit A charges Enemy 1. Enemy 1 holds

Unit B charges Enemy 2. Enemy 2 flees.

Enemy 2 ends up directly between Unit A and Enemy 1. Unit B does not roll high enough to catch Enemy 2 and fails it’s charge.

How is the charge between Unit A and Enemy 1 resolved. Unit A cannot move around the fleeing Enemy 2 without using more than its permitted 90 degree wheel. So is this automatically a failed charge for Unit A, or can they try to redirect into Enemy 2 or something else?

I suspect that Unit A automatically ends up with a failed charge, but this doesn’t sit too well given that Enemy 2 is already fleeing, so what is the correct way to resolve this please?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I know I’ve seen this covered somewhere but I didn’t see it in the FAQ so maybe the rule book since mine isn’t in front of me. I believe Unit A can declare a charge against enemy 2 forcing it to flee again. Once enemy 2 is out of th way, I don’t recall if they can then charge enemy 1 again…

Grimbold Blackhammer

Baggronor:

How is the charge between Unit A and Enemy 1 resolved. Unit A cannot move around the fleeing Enemy 2 without using more than its permitted 90 degree wheel. So is this automatically a failed charge for Unit A, or can they try to redirect into Enemy 2 or something else?
You should have declared A's charge first and then it would have been resolved first. As it is, A is left unable to contact it's target, as the fleeing enemies are in the way.

BRB Page 22, 'Under no circumstances can a unit move into contact with an enemy it has not declared a charge against.'

BRB page 18, 'If the target unit declares a Flee! reaction, the charging unit... can either attempt to complete the charge against the now-fleeing unit, or try to redirect it's charge by making a Ld test.'

As Enemy unit 1 declared a Hold reaction, unit A cannot redirect into the fleeing Enemy unit 2, and fails it's charge. Unit B is free to attempt to redirect into Enemy unit 1 if it can see it however.

Neil:

That’s what I suspected. Many Thanks. :hat off