[Archive] Rules Question

Geist:

When you hit a unit with ashstorm, and the unit in question has the random movement rule, how exactly is the unit affected. Since it never actually declares a charge it can still move into a unit to be counted as having engaged? Should it take dangerous terrain checks or not? It does not have a march move so what exactly does the dangerous terrain part of the spell do to it?

Thommy H:

Random Movement has no effect on whether the unit takes Dangerous Terrain tests or not, so that works the same. But the inability of an affected unit to charge or march will obviously have no effect on a unit with Random Movement, since they do neither.

Geist:

While on the topic of ashstorm lets address another rule that will come up.

You can not cast spells expect on your own unit, while under the effect of ashstorm. So what about spells that have a bubble effect? Any spell that says affect all units within X inches. How is that treated?

Thommy H:

I would assume that, since they’re capable of targeting another unit, they’d be forbidden too. Only spells that specifically target the wizard’s own unit, a model inside his unit, or himself, would be allowed.

Nicodemus:

I would assume that, since they're capable of targeting another unit, they'd be forbidden too. Only spells that specifically target the wizard's own unit, a model inside his unit, or himself, would be allowed.

Thommy H
I tend to agree with ThommyH here. My thinking is that this is similar to trying to use a spell with a template (i.e. magical vortex, etc) 'near' to an enemy unit that's engaged in close combat. As you're not allowed to directly target them you might be tempted to hope that the template will scatter into them instead... but this is still against the intended rules.

Geist:

I think my question got lost somewhere. Let me try it again. There are alot of spells out there that dont actually target anything, they effect everything in a radius. For example boosted soulblight, or many of the TK spells. Would these spells that effect a radius a bubble happen or would it be a more bizarre example.

A

Spell goes off and effects all units in range because the original target was still that under the effect of ashstorm.

B

Spell goes off and only effects the unit under effect of ashstorm, because its a bubble and can not go beyond the effect of ashstorm.

C

Spell fails to go off because the radius would cause it to violate the ashstorm effect. But can still have a lesser version cast that only effects the target unit under effect of ashstorm.

Maybe this clears up my question better?

Thommy H:

D: you can’t use the spell at all, even if the radius only affects the targeted unit.

Looking at Ash Storm, it says that the Wizard can only cast a spell on himself. So, unless the Wizard is specifically the target of the spell, it can’t be cast. Simple as that. The only spells you would be able to cast are ones that say something like: “this is an augment spell, cast on the Wizard himself”.

Nicodemus:

unless the Wizard is specifically the target of the spell, it can't be cast. Simple as that. The only spells you would be able to cast are ones that say something like: "this is an augment spell, cast on the Wizard himself".

Thommy H

Hashut’s Blessing:

I was panicking that I’d cheated then - I played against vampires using this spell because I had 2 lords, I had it twice) and they couldn’t cast any magic as it all affected models other than the caster only :stuck_out_tongue: They were wrned thoroughly by aout 7 people. Every turn…

RichardC1967:

I was panicking that I'd cheated then - I played against vampires using this spell because I had 2 lords, I had it twice) and they couldn't cast any magic as it all affected models other than the caster only :P They were wrned thoroughly by aout 7 people. Every turn...

Hashut's Blessing
didn't think two casters in the same army could have duplicate spells..(BRB pg 490)

Thommy H:

Not unless one is a Loremaster (or otherwise has no choice about his spells), no.

RichardC1967:

How many points did you play to warrant 2 lvl 4 Sorceror Prophets?

Grimbold Blackhammer:

I was not aware there was any caveat while allowed users to duplicate spells other than the Loremaster ability. And my (quick) scan of the rules didn’t show me anything different. Could someone give me a page number on the spell selection exception that allows two wizards to duplicate spells please?

Grimbold Blackhammer

Geist:

This is either a case of some one truly not knowing the rules. OR a very very blatant case of out and out cheating. I am sorry if my tone seems to be accusation, but this is just silly. Having two lores and claiming to not know better? How long as 8th been out? Is there a loremaster power in the Chaos Dwarf book?

RichardC1967:

I was not aware there was any caveat while allowed users to duplicate spells other than the Loremaster ability.  And my (quick) scan of the rules didn't show me anything different.  Could someone give me a page number on the spell selection exception that allows two wizards to duplicate spells please?

Grimbold Blackhammer

Grimbold Blackhammer
BRB page 490..I also bet that most players here don't know about the "broken concentration"rule on page 32 in the BRB..most of the people I've played against "conveniently" forget about it during a game

Geist:

Page 490? Thats not a page with rules on it.

RichardC1967:

Sorry, I put the wrong page number of the BRB regarding duplicate spells, I was using my LRB(Little Red Book) and forgot to adjust for the fluff pages…its actually pg 490 in the BRB and pg 162 in the LRB…the other rule for “Broken Concentration” is on pg 32 in BOTH books…

Page 490? Thats not a page with rules on it.

Geist
its “The Lores of Magic” section…read the Spell Generation section

Grimbold Blackhammer:

LOL No RichardC1967, I was asking for the rule that allows the exception. Not the rule preventing it!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Thommy H:

There isn’t an exception, that’s what we’re saying - HB made a mistake (if we understood his post correctly) and possibly just missed the rule about not being able to duplicate spells. It’s really not worth a discussion of this length.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Sorry, probably should’ve added that it was agreed amongst the players that it was acceptable for the sorcerer-prophets to use the same lore, as long as only one spell overlapped. I was lucky enough that this was Ash Storm. You’d think getting hit by it twice a turn would teach the guy he should use the dispel dice he was given against it. He kept finishing the magic phase with dispel dice after I’d cast it twice and then complained. Silly fellow.