[Archive] Sacrifice Magic, the Blood Sorcery of Hashut

Ancient History:

A possible modification of the traditional magic system, based around the blood-slick altars of Hashut. This system takes one part from the Gut Magic of the Ogre Kingdoms but adds something a little new to take advantage of Chaos Dwarfs’ access to so many ready sacrifices.

Casting Sacrifice Magic

Sorcerers do not gain power dice in the normal manner, nor do they use them when casting spells. When casting a spell, a Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer or Sorcerer Lord sacrifices (removes from the table) a number of Wounds worth of models from the unit they are in or models in base contact to power the spell; the number of Wounds is the effective Casting level of the spell for all purposes.

Each spell has a minimum number of sacrifices necessary to cast the spell, called the Sacrifice level; sacrificing less Wounds than this number causes the spell to automatically miscast. A Sorcerer can sacrifice more wounds, to a maximum of six times their level; that is a Level 4 Sorcerer could sacrifice up to 24 Wounds worth of units on a given spell, a Level 3 Sorcerer 18 wounds, and so on. Any effect that would add or remove Power Dice does not affect Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers.

Sacrifice magic spells can be cast with Irresistable Force by sacrificing the Sorcerer and all models left in his unit; the number of Wounds sacrificed must still equal the Sacrifice level or the spell will miscast.

Wounds sustained by Chaos Dwarfs, Bull Centaurs, Lammasu, and Great Taurus in this matter count double; that is each Wound one of these models sustains to cast a spell is equivalent to two Wounds for purposes of determining the effective Casting level of the spell. A Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer or Sorcerer Lord may take Wounds himself to power a spell. Models removed due to wounds are always taken from the unit in the same manner as casualties, i.e. from the back ranks first.

Each Sorcerer knows all of the Sacrifice Magic spells (listed below). If a Sacrifice Magic spell has already been successfully cast this phase and a second Sorcerer wishes to cast the same spell, the Sacrifice level is doubled; if a third Sorcerer wants to cast the same spell that phase, the Sacrifice level is tripled, and so on.

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerers generate and utilize Dispel Dice as other wizards.

Fist of Fire

Sacrifice Level: 5

Has identical effect to the Fire Lore spell Flaming Sword of Rhuin.

Magma Pool

Sacrifice Level: 5

Has identical effect to the Shadow Lore spell Steed of Shadows.

Lava Storm

Sacrifice Level: 8

Has identical effect to the Metal Lore spell Distillation of Molten Silver.

Shadows of Hashut

Sacrifice Level: 8

Has identical effect to the Fire Lore spell The Burning Head.

Doomroar

Sacrifice Level: 9

Has identical effect to the Death Lore spell Doom and Darkness.

Eruption

Sacrifice Level: 12

Has identical rules to the Shadow Lore spell Pit of Shades.

Vexxus:

I very much like this idea, however I would suggest that base contact is a bit too restricting. Anyone who sacrifices 6 CD’s to cast one spell is a bit insane, and thats a bit out of reach fluff wise.

Instead I would propose they can ‘order the sacrifice’ of slaves within a 12" “shouting distance”. This way, slaves that are actually worth the sacrifice could be used, instead of having your CD mage sitting inside a unit of hobgobs!

Also, I would propose that if the mage is in a unit of CD’s that if the unit breaks and catches a fleeing enemy, they capture the remaining unit members, and they must follow the unit for the remainder of the battle, to be used as sacrifices to Hashut.

Thoughts?

Narflung:

Comments by Vex hit the spot for me.

Not a big fan of the ability to take wounds on chaos dwarfs, bull centaur etc, or the sorcerer himself… I imagine Hashut would not be pleased seeing his minions sacrificed during battle.

Greenskins and any other slaves would be fine though.

The main downside I saw with the base contact is - what happens when mounted on the lammasu…

The list of spells is good, very suitable I think.

TheVoice:

I’d rather see this tied to a unit (like a CD Anbvil of Doom or Cauldron of Blood) than completely replace regular magic.

Borador:

Would be nice to place this sorcerer in a regiment of hobbos about the ehm 50 to 80 units in size? Seems like a nice idea, though you might consider lowering the cost of each spell a bit, 12 wounds is a lot, if you consider that a hobbo has just 1 wound that would mean 12 hobbos are gone, thats like 50% of a hobbo regiment :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Baggronor:

Its a nice idea, but doesn’t seem too practical. I don’t like the idea of a sorcerer who can only function by killing other troops, why should CD magic be gimped like that? Would it not be better top have this as an extra ability? Perhaps the sorcerer can choose to sacrifice models in contact to gain extra dice? Its the same as the DE dagger I know, but a sorcerer who doesn’t generate magic on his own seems very limited, he basically can’t do anything on his own. Or maybe say that spells cast with sacrifices can’t be dispelled, and rebalance the amount of sacrifices needed accordingly. Or maybe use the idea for a war machine, like a great furnace or a pit of molten metal that the CDs feed slaves into to gain different effects? At a pinch the sorcerer could shove a CD crewman in and gain irresistible force or some such :slight_smile:

Grimstonefire:

This idea has some merit, but I don’t like the fact that it would kill troops you needed.

If for example you had something on a 40mm base, and it had a unit of 30 hobgoblins surrounding it I could see that would be possible. It could be a sorcerer mount and cause fear.

That way you wouldn’t care about sacrificing hobgoblins. Only problems are that the enemy would only need a round of shooting to completely nerf the sorcerer…

Then you’d need to take loads of hobgoblins nearby for him to leap to another unit.

Thommy H:

I like the idea very much and the implementation seems sensible and well balanced, but I think it should be coupled with the ability to purchase an “Altar of Hashut” with slaves that can be sacrificed, otherwise it seems unnecessarily restrictive. The Altar would be expensive and also grant some other bonuses (like an Anvil of Doom).

cornixt:

The sacrifice levels above are far too high for this kind of thing. You’d have to kill a good chunk of a unit just to cast a simple spell. I’d prefer the sacrifice to boost the casting value rather than being the majority of it.

Servius:

How About this… Caster Generates as per normal and gets one of the 4 lores as usual. Sacrificing works as follows…

Roll to cast a spell as normal. After the roll has successfully cast the spell but before your opponent chooses to attempt to dispel the CD player may choose to Sacrifice.

Sacrifice a Number of Models from the unit the sorcerer is joined with equal to the Number of the Spell and on a 5+ the Spell is cast with Ultimate Power. If double the number of the spell are sacrificed it is cast with ultimate power on a 3+, and if 3 times the number of the spell are sacrificed it is cast automatically with Ultimate Power with no additional roll. No saves of ANY kind are allowed against casualties sacrificed in this way. Multiple Wound models and characters may not be sacrificed.

For Example. CD Mage casts Fireball with 2 dice and scores a 9. The spell would be cast but the CD player chooses to Sacrifice 2 Models in his unit to cast it with ultimate power on a D6 roll of a 3+. He rolls a 4. and then the Fireball is cast with Ultimate Power.

This is more of an augmentive idea based on Ancient’s original but could work in a scenario or the like. It also makes it where just flat getting Ultimate Power is costly for the more devistating spells. If you want Conflag of Doom off guaranteed… Your taking out 15 models to do it!

Thommy H:

There was an article in White Dwarf a little after the release of 6th Edition that featured a slightly different version of the magic rules that they’d come up with too late to actually include in the game - it was pretty similar, but you were able to “power up” your spells in response to dispel attempts, much as Servius described. That would be a pretty good mechanic to tie to this concept.