[Archive] Scalp's Blog

Scalp:

I’m just starting up a chaos dwarf army based around the Tamurkhan book.

I will be updating this as I go along, but on average, its 1 box/order per pay(Two weeks). I will begin with the following and post results after they are completed. The majority of my stuff will probably come from Forgeworld, although I’ve become quite friendly with Smooth-On products so who knows how fast updates may come.

Sorcerer-Prophet

Daemonsmith Sorceror

Infernal Castellan

25 Infernal Guard

Hellcannon

Magma Cannon - Awaiting Delivery

Here is the first test model completed…

I’m not sure yet if I like the idea of having a warpstone style weapon, or if I should plan to do a heated weapon effect on it. I will most likely do lava bases, either from Micro Art Studio, or build my own with a technique from here here.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Hmm, not sure how to critique this.

Shoes - I thought they were supposed to be metal but you’ve painted them to look like cloth.  It looks odd to me.

Helmet - why is the helmet painted in a different colour than the rest of the armour?  Is it supposed to be made from a different material?  Again, it looks odd and out of place.  Same with shield.

Hand Weapon - I like how you’ve done the green but the green clashes with the red and to be honest it looks a bit “clowny”.  If these are going to be your Ironsworn, pick a different colour.  If they are regular Chaos Dwarves, you may want to consider painting them metallic.

The quality of the painting is good.  Nice thin coats and not messy!  But I think your palette is just a little bit off.

Grimbold Blackhammer

Scalp:

I’m just starting up a chaos dwarf army based around the Tamurkhan book.

I will be updating this as I go along, but on average, its 1 box/order per pay(Two weeks). I will begin with the following and post results after they are completed. The majority of my stuff will probably come from Forgeworld, although I’ve become quite friendly with Smooth-On products so who knows how fast updates may come.

Sorcerer-Prophet

Daemonsmith Sorceror

Infernal Castellan

25 Infernal Guard

Hellcannon

Magma Cannon - Awaiting Delivery

Here is the first test model completed…

I’m not sure yet if I like the idea of having a warpstone style weapon, or if I should plan to do a heated weapon effect on it. I will most likely do lava bases, either from Micro Art Studio, or build my own with a technique from here here.

Karring:

Strange but original scheme.

Warpstone effect looks great (brutal contrast), but I had used it in more parts-not only the weapon.

Have you try to give a “heating effect” on red pieces` edges?

Thorne:

I’d change the colour of his head and then I’d wash that fellow in some army painter dark tone for extra depth shading and malice. The head painting however neat looks wrong. That said its a great start.

Scalp:

Grimbold - To be honest, I was thinking Red Steel/Metal rather than red cloth on the boots, but I see where you were coming from.

Here’s the same style model with the suggested updates.

I’m not overly keen on changing the shield though, as I need something beyond shades of red and brass/copper to break it up a little bit.

I’m still working on a sample with the weapons still tempered/hot edged, but this one may look the best anyways, but if I do a lava-base tray, I might have a few of the dwarves dipping their weapons it in.

Admiral:

Nice update, but why not try to retain the warpstone weapon head and maybe even paint the shoulder pad runes glowing green?

Grimstonefire:

If you were to start with a dark green, highlight once or twice with a light green then wash heavily with black it might look like obsidian. Which would be much more fitting for Chaos Dwarfs than warpstone. :wink:

Scalp:

Grimstonefire - I like the sounds of that. I may do that for the Great Weapons when I get to them. Combine that with the different coloured shoulders of Admiral’s idea, and I might have some nice “elite” looking secondary and tertiary squads to fill out the core.

I just need to decide how I’m going to go about making them; Marauder flails, Chaos Warrior great weapons, or some custom home-brew weapon. I need to find out what best fits into the slots of the Forgeworld dwarf bodies.