[Archive] Scribe's Contest II

Admiral:

Chaos Dwarfs Online Presents: The 2nd Scribe’s Contest writing competition on Chaos Dwarfs Online!

We are pleased to announce that this Scribe’s Contest has been sponsored by Zanko! There will be one prize of this unpainted Titan Wargames Dwarf Heavy Infantry Command for the Gold winner:

"The lot of the treacherous Hobgoblins in the Dark Lands may be glimpsed through their reputation and their words, be they songs, sayings or everyday speech. Those are glimpses of a world of gleeful cruelty, oppression and backstabbing; of shifty eyes and sharpened knives.

The position of Hobgoblins within the Chaos Dwarf empire is a precarious one. On the one hand, they live privileged lives visavi the masses of unwashed slaves beneath them. Hobgoblins serve as middlemen taskmasters and soldiers within the Dawi Zharr realm. On the other hand, the Hobgoblins struck a deal with the devil when they aligned themselves with the Chaos Dwarfs, for though they thrive as a slave elite under the Dawi Zharr’s protection, the Hobgoblins’ annihilation in the Dark Lands is assured should the Chaos Dwarfs ever fall. For few other races have become so venomously hated and loathed as the Hobgoblins have become amongst other Greenskins, for good reasons.

These are the words of the Slaves to Damnation."

Subject Matter: Hobgoblins, the Middlemen Slave Caste

The theme for this writing competition is Hobgoblins as the middlemen slave caste in the Chaos Dwarf empire. This is an open format theme, meaning that almost any type of background text and fiction about Hobgoblins will be accepted, within the rules detailed below.

Your entry could consist of a Hobgoblin camp song; a story about Sneaky Gitz: a “facts-book” description of Hobgoblin culture; a collection of quotes or proverbs; a fable concerning Hobgoblins; Chaos Dwarfs discussing their Hobgoblin underlings; or something else entirely.

Fiction and background text is not to be confused with writing Warhammer rules of your own.

Writing Rules

The word limit for each entry is 10-500 words in total. Since this is an open format theme, you may write your entry as one or more quotes, proverbs, tales, songs, stories etc. Descriptive background texts about Hobgoblins (of the kind you may find in any Warhammer army book) and fiction from the perspective of one or more characters (of the kind you may find in any Black Library novel) are allowed.

All entries are to be written “in-universe”, meaning no lines about D6s or green stuff are allowed. See the General Rules.

You are encouraged to ask Admiral about whether your entry meet the requirements or not, should you be unsure.

Spellcheck

Please spellcheck your entry before submission. Even so, to help even the field for the non-native English speakers, Admiral may correct grammar and spelling mistakes within the limits of his grasp of the English language.

Inspiration Sources

Anything can be your inspiration, including your latest tabletop game. See the Guidelines, and Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblin songs. (You are not allowed to copy someone else’s work!)

Please read the full rules and guidelines that apply to the Scribe’s Contest competition before submitting your entry!

Deadline: 11:59 PM Feb 8th 2015 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

Submit your entry by PM to the Scribe account before the deadline. Entries will not be accepted after that date and time regardless of how cool your submission is. (You have around 2 weeks to complete your entry.)

If for some reason you are having trouble with your submission, contact one of the Staff before the deadline. In order to avoid problems, we strongly advise entrants not wait until the very last minute to submit their entries… As things can and do go wrong at the last minute. Please do not send entries to individual Admin or Staff members to submit on your behalf as they may not check their PMs!

How to Enter

Write one or more pieces of fiction or background about Hobgoblins, invented by you, and send a PM to Scribe (a special user that all Staff have access to) containing the entry. The moderator organizing the contest will then check the inbox one or a few days before deadline and verify to each entrant that their submission was received.

If you win

- Take your place in the upcoming Scribe’s Contest Hall of Fame (to be created soon), where your glory will be remembered for years to come.

- Receive the Scribe’s Contest medal for your online persona:

- Everyone who enters gets a number of slaves equal to the number of entries. If 40 people enter we award 40 slaves to each person who entered.

- If you win Gold, you’ll win a model prize, courtesy of Zanko.

Entries will count towards a participation medal, which is the simpler Scribe’s Contest equivalent of Artisan’s Contest and Golden Hat veteran medals.

As usual once all entries are received a voting thread will be created. If there are any questions please PM me, another Staff member or post them here.

Summary

Subject Matter: Hobgoblins, the Middlemen Slave Caste.

Deadline: 11:59 PM 8th of February 2015 EST (Eastern Standard Timezone)

If any forum members would like to aid Scribe’s Contest by donating models or other materials as prizes for future competitions, feel free to contact myself or one of the Staff to help sort out details.

Now, carve your tablet. Sharpen your pen and dip it in fresh slave blood, for Hashut demands words!

The Staff

MadHatter:

Awesome :cheers

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Bloodbeard:

Awesome theme. And I would love to win those miniatures!

Thank you Admiral and thank you Zanko. Slaves coming to you Zanko, very generous donation.

DAGabriel:

Got a nice and short one for this. Will polish for some days, but essentially it is there!

Perhaps the rules on voting for oneself should be officially rewritten before deadline arrives as mentioned in Bloodbeards post.

Bloodbeard:

Got a nice and short one for this. Will polish for some days, but essentially it is there!

Perhaps the rules on voting for oneself should be officially rewritten before deadline arrives as mentioned in Bloodbeards post.

DAGabriel
Poll will be taken to Staff before voting begis for this competition. Self-vote poll.

Admiral:

Nice to have you onboard. Good luck, folks! :cheers

As Bloodbeard says, we’ll handle the self-vote matter before this contest’s voting thread is up.

Zanko is a pillar of the Chaos Dwarf community, for sure. :slight_smile:

torn:

400 words is quite a restriction. I’m sure I will come up with something. Just a question as with the previous competition you could have up to 3 quotes, is this the same in that you can write what you want as long as you don’t go over the limit?

Admiral:

Yep, and you can have as many quotes as you like this time around, should you want to make a list of quotes. You could even mix proverbs, quotes and a short story, the format is open. :slight_smile:

We’re experimenting a bit as we go along with Scribe’s Contest here. This time there will be a vote-off in case of several would-be gold winners, eg. And the word count will be tested at 400 here. We aim at keeping it relatively low, since it’s part of the challenge and it will keep the reading “burden” relatively low on the readers and voters. We’re starting small and building bigger, if possible. Later contests will definitely dish out some attempts with longer word counts, not least for the potential, long into the future myth ones.

Feedback after the contest will be great to have. :wink:

DAGabriel:

Turned mine in.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Admiral:

Good work, DAGabriel! Now, let’s have some more entries, folks. :wink:

TheHoodedMan:

Holy Hashut! I nearly missed this! I`ll try to put something in.

Bloodbeard:

I have no idea what so ever for an entry…

Admiral and I have started have “what going on at CDO” in out signiature - so fewer people miss stuff.

TheHoodedMan:

I have no idea what so ever for an entry...

Admiral and I have started have "what going on at CDO" in out signiature - so fewer people miss stuff.

Bloodbeard
Normally this won`t happen to me, but the last 2 weeks were busy.

DAGabriel:

To give it a bump,

Ahoi, anybody aboard this ship?

TheHoodedMan:

I`m in. Glad I managed it this time!

Admiral:

Good job, guys! Give it a try for the fun of it. :wink:

I’ve been away on a visit at my brother’s place for some days, and might stay a while longer. I won’t be online much, but it won’t disturb the contest process.

Admiral:

Word limited updated to 10-500. We’ve had an entry of 472 words, and it was entirely of a reasonable length (none of the others submitted so far sniffed close to 400, so no harm there). This should give people a little more freedom.

Good work in the scribe department, folks!

Abecedar:

I’m trying but not making any decent headway with the one and only idea I have.

TheHoodedMan:

How was it to write about a Chaos dwarf slavemaster who bought hundreds of hobgoblin slaves driving him nuts ;)?

MadHatter:

Polishing my entry… :slight_smile: