[Archive] Sculpting a Proper Beard

bobthebobish:

As someone who started their Chaos Dwarf army on a very small budget and a handful of used minis I had to do a great deal of converting dwarves with far lesser beards into those of a proper status. After a search two years ago I had found a tutorial that allowed even me to sculpt a curled beard but sadly my link to said tutorial is dead…

The good news is that it inspired me to ‘re-create’ said tutorial on my own and I figured why not share it with others since it helped saved my wallet quite a bit!

The goods are hiding on my blog so here’s a handy dandy link:

http://bobthebobish.blogspot.com/2017/08/how-to-curled-beards.html

Hope it helps someone else! :hat off

Carcearion:

Thanks man! I’ve been fighting with the idea of doing some more Greenstuff work (so many great reaper dwarves I want to convert) - tutorials like this are a big help in getting my nerve up.

bobthebobish:

No problem just passing along the help I got years ago! It really isn’t as tough as people think and each beard gets easier for sure.

tjub:

Thought Id just share how I do beards as well. :slight_smile:

I do my beards as individual cones, which I attach one at the time to form the basic shape of the beard. Then I go down each side with the sculpting tool to create a zig-zag kina pattern. Them I go down the front of every curl making a horizontal mark between the others. And last I take needle and cavern the curl by pushing it in and doing gentle circular movements.

_