[Archive] sculpting female faces. Now with pics!

Bassman:

Sculpting female bodies is not so hard but sculpting female faces!!!

It makes me crazy. Each of them look like aliens

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/157586/530wm/C0094973-Roswell_alien-SPL.jpg

Any trick, tip, tutorial?

Do you sculpt them in one step? Two or more steps?

Thank you so much,

Bassman

Baggronor:

Faces are always one step for me, apart from beards/fangs, etc. I don’t think I would do a good job unless I can see the whole thing take shape.

Remember female faces are smoother and less angular than males, so the brow must be shallower, nose and mouth smaller, face smaller in relation to the cranium, neck thinner, jaw less pronounced and so forth. Less is more, basically.

Try starting with a simple oval shape and add as few marks to it as possible. Keep things simple, and always examine it from multiple angles.

Grimstonefire:

The other thing I think helps with female faces is to do the head slimmer than a man’s.

The only female faces I’ve sculpted looked like they’d make very ugly brides… So I’m no help really. :smiley:

RTMaitreya:

Each of them look like aliens

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/157586/530wm/C0094973-Roswell_alien-SPL.jpg

Bassman
Put some lip gloss on that gal, and you're done!

I see what you mean. . . large forehead, almond eyes, small nose and chin. . . the basics are there, but exaggerated. You should just exaggerate less. Also remember that warrior women aren't always going to look like starving virginal elven maidens. Making your faces have "character" is more important than making your faces look like runway models.

RTM

Bassman:

Also remember that warrior women aren't always going to look like starving virginal elven maidens.  Making your faces have "character" is more important than making your faces look like runway models.

RTMaitreya
Ehm, uhr... ehm... how to tell you... that I'm actually trying to sculpt.... she-elves!!!

Ok, I admit in a Dwarf forum... I'm sculpting elves!!! :o

Hashut shall punish me but I'm so crazy to start sculpting females with elves! But that was I wanted to sculpt! :(

Tonight I tried to follow your suggestions and results seems to be a little better than before.
Less aliens more ugly brides like Grimestonefire's (I mean, not your bride but your sculptures ;) ). So it's an impruvment.

Tomorrow, when gs will be hardened I see if it is possible to use at least one and add hair. This should hide defects and enhance best (?) parts...... :cheers

It's really difficult to take pictures of so tiny details but maybe you'll see something soon.

Thank you.

Bassman

snowblizz:

You could always cheat and buy female heads, eg Hasslefree sells packs of 5 I think. No hair, just heads. 25mm though so kinda small perhaps. But then again women are smaller in stature, especially considering movie-Rambo-sized 28mm males.

Admiral:

It’s hard to give any further advice to that already given without pictures, but one thing to keep in mind is that women generally have rounder (and smaller) faces than men. Do you have a male elf sculpt or mini nearby to compare with? Perhaps this picture might give you some aid: Bare Elf Female Head

I guess you should dare to elongate the face more to avoid an alien look, but let’s await pictures and see the progress. :slight_smile:

Bassman:

Admiral, thank you! The link you posted it’s really helpful! If somebody has more… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you everbody for tips and suggestions. My she-elves are not yet top models but start to look decent. A little bit more efforts and some of them can be pretty enough to ask them a date :smiley:

Snowblizz: thank you but I’m not going to cheat. Otherwise, where is the fun? :wink:

But thank you, hasseflee hairless girls helped me. As one of the biggest problems when sculpting female heads is that they have no hair and it’s really difficult to judge your work without them

Keeping hasslefree heads as a reference is really a good idea!

Kera foehunter:

Admiral, thank you! The link you posted it's really helpful! If somebody has more..... ;P

Thank you everbody for tips and suggestions. My she-elves are not yet top models but start to look decent. A little bit more efforts and some of them can be pretty enough to ask them a date :D

Snowblizz: thank you but I'm not going to cheat. Otherwise, where is the fun? ;)
But thank you, hasseflee hairless girls helped me. As one of the biggest problems when sculpting female heads is that they have no hair and it's really difficult to judge your work without them
Keeping hasslefree heads as a reference is really a good idea!

Bassman

Kera foehunter:

My god i see your dying here!

so let me help you

First your aliean head is close to being perfect for a start.

But i make my girls head in phases

Here is the kara model since we are working with dwarfs

and one more

Here what i do get an end of a crappy paint brush make a round ball . the make it like your alien

let this set up for your bace this will support the face

over night is cool or a couple of hours

then start by make a oblong piece of green stuff

put this over the ball

Now look at the kera figure

the face has 3 zones the forehead the eyes and nose and then the mouth

work from the top down and make the fore head

then you make slot for the eyes

then the nose then pull eveything down to the chin

then look at the cheeks work from where the eye are out

the nose and mouth are at the zone as if you go to the middle of the eyes down they are the farthest out and should be as the same plane as the fore head

it quite simple

just play with clay first have a glass or wine because your trying to hard to make it perfect

Now that we have that done the ear are simple it alway nice to do earring this hides the flalse of the imperfect ear

then let this dry now next is the hair the fun part

just like a beard

thin pin the head to the body

here are more detail of faces to show you detail when making faces

Here is a plain no make up woman that can help with details

Here is Kara painted up to show how diffrent ways of making a figure look more stuning

as with the twins girl notice !! that the eyes will draw you there !!

same as your figure the eye and the cheek are the focus point

I hope this help ya

Kera

Thorne:

Generally females have facial structures which are more like a child’s than males. Male’s forehead usually slope somewhat back, whereas female’s don’t. Males have a higher hairline. Their eyebrows tend to be less arched. The ridge on top of the eyes is more pronounced in males. Cheekbones tend to be broader in males. Their chin is more likely to be square than rounded. Females usually have rounder cheeks, rarely hollow. Females have often smaller noses than males. As there is a wide variation within male and female faces it is not a single characteristic which influences whether we see a face as male or female, but the sum of them.

900 posts now too damn.

Bassman:

Thank you all for help.

I can finally show you some decent results.

I call them the “impaled”, for obvious reasons :wink:

The leftmost is the older, the rightmost the newer.

I started to add elves ears, so they look a little like little devils… but with hair shall improve.

Obviously there is a lot of job to be done to improve but I’m pretty happy :slight_smile:

What do you think? Please keep going with suggestions :wink:

Bassman:

This is my first completely sculpt miniature ever. I call her elf 0.0 :slight_smile:

She is a witch elf and she is very hangry against Khaine because of my ahestetic treatment :o

She is still WIP, she needs more hair, more details, hands, swords, whatever she needs to slaughter lesser elves…

The face is actually older than the faces showed before. This is my first decent results, full of defects but ok to start to work with hair, body etc…

You’ll see her again :wink:

Thorne:

Looking far more female than the efforts of GW till 12 months ago. Hairstyle needs some work too like you have said but I’m impressed no Roswell for her then huh ?